Saw Geoff Tate on Tuesday night in Foxboro (love me some live Queesnryche)

kmanick

I must say I was very impressed , the guy is 65 years old and his voice his still right there all night.
His band was very good, I noticed ampless on stage, I don't know they were off stage and mic'd or they were all modeling but it sounded damn good.
not my video but this was the show I was at.

They closed with this one ,s o maybe he's saves his voice a little bit all night so he can do this one properly

I really wanted to go see him last week, but couldnt make it. His voice has improved a lot since he quit smoking.

Really glad to see him putting effort into it again. I never understood why he dropped the ball like he did, smoking will dehydrate you and obviously fuck with your breath but that’s got such little to do with a singer’s range that it’s not a realistic “Ah! That’s what did it!” point. And as much as he likes to claim he studied on his own to learn how to sing, him, Layne Staley and Ann Wilson were all taught by David Kyle and speech-level-singing is the basis of their vocal technique, which is essentially figuring out how to sing everything at speaking volume with the same intensity you would belting it out at stupid volumes, so when you DO go to belt something out you have all the power in the world to do it.

And yeah, the band is 100% direct, including the drums. I’m guessing that’s to keep the volume down onstage so Geoff can crank the fuck out of his mic without worrying about bleed, but man, the cymbals and snare sound like e-drums and in a Ryche setting I don’t want to hear that.

Going to see Ryche next month with Armored Saint. I dug the last album they put out but at this point it’s a band that sounds like it was heavily influenced by Queensryche and overall I get this circling the drain feeling from it. There’s only two original members who were not the primary writers. Rockenfield seems to be in booze limbo, a few months ago he was going off on rants on FB then trying to hawk unlicensed Ryche merch via his FB profile.

I saw them in Feb 89. Greensboro,, opened up for Metallica Justice tour. Top of the world for everyone back then. Great show. So many fights in the pit.

This ^ will always be the case without the magic ingredient : Chris DeGarmo.

I think because I was raised on Ryche I held onto the idea for a long time after he left that they’d knock something out of the park. I just realized now after reading your post that nearly 30 years of hindsight caught up to me and yeah, the magic of that band absolutely went away when he did.

The last album with Todd, not their newest one, that had some killer songs on it that gave it a feel of “If Ryche went away for 25 years and came out with this, I wouldn’t be surprised”, but still quite there.

Seeing them with Todd in a couple of weeks. I know Geoff is the OG but Todd blows him away. They are playing the EP and Warning in chronological order as well.

I think because I was raised on Ryche I held onto the idea for a long time after he left that they’d knock something out of the park. I just realized now after reading your post that nearly 30 years of hindsight caught up to me and yeah, the magic of that band absolutely went away when he did.

The last album with Todd, not their newest one, that had some killer songs on it that gave it a feel of “If Ryche went away for 25 years and came out with this, I wouldn’t be surprised”, but still quite there.
I wish Chris would (at the very least) go into the studio and write with them, be even better if he’d record with them. Ultimately what needs to happen is a full blown reunion but I think that ship has sailed unfortunately.

Really glad to see him putting effort into it again. I never understood why he dropped the ball like he did, smoking will dehydrate you and obviously fuck with your breath but that’s got such little to do with a singer’s range that it’s not a realistic “Ah! That’s what did it!” point. And as much as he likes to claim he studied on his own to learn how to sing, him, Layne Staley and Ann Wilson were all taught by David Kyle and speech-level-singing is the basis of their vocal technique, which is essentially figuring out how to sing everything at speaking volume with the same intensity you would belting it out at stupid volumes, so when you DO go to belt something out you have all the power in the world to do it.

And yeah, the band is 100% direct, including the drums. I’m guessing that’s to keep the volume down onstage so Geoff can crank the fuck out of his mic without worrying about bleed, but man, the cymbals and snare sound like e-drums and in a Ryche setting I don’t want to hear that.

Going to see Ryche next month with Armored Saint. I dug the last album they put out but at this point it’s a band that sounds like it was heavily influenced by Queensryche and overall I get this circling the drain feeling from it. There’s only two original members who were not the primary writers. Rockenfield seems to be in booze limbo, a few months ago he was going off on rants on FB then trying to hawk unlicensed Ryche merch via his FB profile.
I'll be seeing them next month too. I saw them in 1989 Open for Metallica & Honestly that night they were better than Metallica.

I find it absolutely hilarious that Tate is suddenly playing tunes he's said repeatedly he hates.

That first clip isn't bad but man that second one... I get he's older etc but having seen him live repeatedly in his prime this is still just painful.

I never got the chance to see them in their heyday so this was kind of thrill for me, they played enough songs from Mindcrime and Empire to satisfy me, the band did look like hipsters but the songs sounds good instrumentally so I ignored it.
A full blown reunion would be great but at this late stage of the game I doubt it would ever happen.

I wish Chris would (at the very least) go into the studio and write with them, be even better if he’d record with them. Ultimately what needs to happen is a full blown reunion but I think that ship has sailed unfortunately.
Agreed..
I think an album with Todd singing and Chris co-writing and riffing might be better than we would expect. Todd is a badass and when singing his own songs is more than capable of seriously belting that shit out. Chris wrote the coolest stuff they ever did, I think the pair could do some pretty serious damage compared to Geoff and the 2 fill in guys writing new Queensryche stuff.
I bet Chris has some stuff that's mind blowing waiting around somewhere to be recorded. People who are that creative just don't turn it off.
I still listen to RFO and get chills, the first time I saw them do Nuel Regal and We Are Rebellion and The Whisper live, it literally changed everything for me. They threw all the beat to death song formula's and conventional thought about how heavy stuff should be done out the window and all the sudden it seemed like anything was possible. We ate that shit up like a stoned fat kid with a box of brownies :LOL:

I saw them in Feb 89. Greensboro,, opened up for Metallica Justice tour. Top of the world for everyone back then. Great show. So many fights in the pit.
I saw that tour too at the UNO Lakefront Arena in New Orleans, it was jaw dropping!
Both bands were out for blood at that time

The vids Ive seen of that have been really good. All the cool stuff off The Warning they did amazingly well.
Saw them last April as well. They were incredible. Michael Wilton was on fire and Todd nailed “Queen Of The Reich” as the encore.

Unfortunately, Geoff soured the experience of him doing that when he went in to write for one of the albums after he left. All the members wrote about it in the lawsuit when they kicked him out. They had to prod Chris to do it, they needed his help writing or just some ideas, but Geoff was shooting everything down and dictating things in a "This isn't your band anymore" way, when the dude was just there to help out.

I can absolutely see Geoff and Scott approaching Ed and Mike about a reunion, but I think it's safe to say the DeGarmo ship has long sailed.

I just want to go and slap every one of those dumb fucking hats of each and every one of them.

Geoff sounded pretty darn good though.

Back