• Zoroastrianist

• Buddhist

• Agnostic

• Gnostic

• Something else

• ... atheist

Results are only viewable after voting.
Some tidbits for you guys to chew on:

The soul and indeed consciousness (take your pick) have no size, no mass and therefore no absolute position in space (and IMHO in time as well 'cause the latter's reliant on the other factors' being known quantities).

I have to beg to differ on that. Consciousness is constructed in our brains, and our brains have mass (although you might argue some of these guys brains have very little mass :hys: )

Case in point when trauma is introduced to a brain, this may force the consciousness to go temporary (or even permanently) unconscious.

I'm 100% confident at some point in the future we could scan a living brain to map the biological neural network, and upload it (your conscious state) to a machine where people will live for eternity.

If there is a God, perhaps this is how he does it, takes a snapshot of your brain, and uploads it to heaven :unsure:

thanks again monkey man :D
i didnt even know i had joined, when it said "this email account already exists" while trying to register i was thinking my accounts been hacked or something lol
That’s how I became aynirar27.
I tried signing up for another forum as just “Aynirar” and it said that the username already existed. I said “you gotta be shittin me” lol no one else uses that name

So I added the 27 only to find out some time later I had just forgotten that I started an account years before

IMG_0164.jpeg

Animal brains in some cases have a lot larger mass than ours and yet no consciousness.

Most animals have consciousness.

You work in IT and are enthusiastic about it like I am but like I said, neural networks are an extremely basic approximation of your brain not to mention adjacent things besides pattern matching and calculations.

Machine neural networks are basic compared to the brain at this moment. However they will undoubtedly exceed the complexity. Keep in mind when we design, and train a neural network, we can use that neural network to design, and train the next more complex one.

Nature did this over billions of years. However we are accelerating this process, so it will only take decades, or less.

If trauma is applied to the brain it either dies - brain dead - or some functionalities are disabled like motor functions, eye sight, speech etc.

Not always

I’ve yet to hear any case of accident where a person was rendered without a consciousness which is not the same as being unconscious! I also don’t know of any cases where trauma made someone have a little less consciousness.
IMO consciousness is not physical but emerges in some special way “in” us.
Maybe the brain acts as a modem of some sort

Happens all the time, the autonomic nervous system keeps the body alive. Consciousness can be completely gone, and the body can stay alive as long as something is feeding food, and water, etc..

This is called Coma

Something to consider when thinking about the human body, vs machine. The human is only better until the technology catches up, and exceeds it.

I remember in the 90's when I first started working on digital image sensors (digital cameras basically) they had very low resolution (about 320x240 at the time) I would ponder over whether there would ever be an image sensor that would be better than the human eye. Well we have fully exceeded the human eyes resolution. The highest resolution camera is 3100 Megapixels, and the human eye is considered to be equivalent to around 500-600 Megapixels. Now this 3100Mp camera is large, and expensive right now, but given time it will be miniaturized in the near future.

The growing popularity of "Scientism" in the wake of post-christian USA is really something to behold. At least Christians are honest about their faith.
Except some people deny the same science they cherish when it doesn't agree with an ulterior motive of theirs. Like all humans originating from one pair which is congruent with Torah.

I know you're a big science guy, can't you find it in your sacred texts someplace?
How disingenuous. You said there was research backing your claim. Shouldn’t be hard to point me in the right direction. I at least bothered to showed you something that contradicts your statement.

As for the “sacred text” shot, I actually read more than one book when I need information.

How disingenuous. You said there was research backing your claim. Shouldn’t be hard to point me in the right direction. I at least bothered to showed you something that contradicts your statement.

As for the “sacred text” shot, I actually read more than one book when I need information.
If you cared, you'd find it for yourself. But you don't, so you likely won't. So even me taking the time to post it wouldn't be profitable for either of us. If I did take the time, you would perhaps criticize the source or details of the research so it's not some infallible proof, in either of of our worlds tbh. I don't base my faith on it, I only know that I have high life satisfaction thanks to orthodoxy. It doesn't make it all roses though. My life satisfaction is so high I enjoy talking to you and others here and don't feel the need to ramrod anyone with my opinion and I can enjoy hearing other's views even if I don't agree with them.

I actually like to read but my eyes are bad and I can't really afford glasses so I've slacked off the past few years. I was also constructing a home so that was more of a priority. I mostly am drawn to religious books or technical manuals. My friend tells me I should get kindle but I told him kindle doesn't burn as good as real books.

LOL/jk

If you cared, you'd find it for yourself. But you don't, so you likely won't. So even me taking the time to post it wouldn't be profitable for either of us. If I did take the time, you would perhaps criticize the source or details of the research so it's not some infallible proof, in either of of our worlds tbh. I don't base my faith on it, I only know that I have high life satisfaction thanks to orthodoxy. It doesn't make it all roses though. My life satisfaction is so high I enjoy talking to you and others here and don't feel the need to ramrod anyone with my opinion and I can enjoy hearing other's views even if I don't agree with them.

I actually like to read but my eyes are bad and I can't really afford glasses so I've slacked off the past few years. I was also constructing a home so that was more of a priority. I mostly am drawn to religious books or technical manuals. My friend tells me I should get kindle but I told him kindle doesn't burn as good as real books.

LOL/jk

Maybe you should pray to god to fix your eyes. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Faith moves mountains, does it not?

Seriously though, not being able to afford something like glasses is completely alien to me.

I can’t understand why this country is so anti-healthcare.

Maybe you should pray to god to fix your eyes. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Faith moves mountains, does it not?

Seriously though, not being able to afford something like glasses is completely alien to me.

I can’t understand why this country is so anti-healthcare.
I can afford glasses, I'd just rather have icons, prayer books, ammunition, extra animal feed and supplies, 2x6's and building hardware, guitars, motorcycle parts, and other stuff first. I can read I just need intense light, and my place is dark cause it's unfinished. I did read a 500 page book on the Theotokos over the last year in my spare time but I don't have anything on deck right now.

I can afford glasses, I'd just rather have icons, prayer books, ammunition, extra animal feed and supplies, 2x6's and building hardware, guitars, motorcycle parts, and other stuff first. I can read I just need intense light, and my place is dark cause it's unfinished. I did read a 500 page book on the Theotokos over the last year in my spare time but I don't have anything on deck right now.

So can you afford them or not? Maybe your priorities are outta whack?

IMG_0521.jpeg

So can you afford them or not? Maybe your priorities are outta whack?

View attachment 247400
I can afford them but my vision isn't bad enough to make them a priority vs something like 2x6's or cedar trim boards. Also, doctors are lame. Some weirdo wants to oggle my eyes sounds like he's got a staring problem. I guess I could get a pair of cheap readers from the store but I only like sunglasses because they are cool, not that pencil pocket four eyes stuff. And I don't want contacts. You gotta be dumb to jam a finger in your eye every morning and evening. Or there is lasik. Let some dude fry my retinas with his erector set laser toy. I don't think so Donnie.

That’s how I became aynirar27.
I tried signing up for another forum as just “Aynirar” and it said that the username already existed. I said “you gotta be shittin me” lol no one else uses that name

So I added the 27 only to find out some time later I had just forgotten that I started an account years before
lol
Aynirar!! :) good to see you :)

Back