100W Super Lead with Reverb??!! The Marshall 2959

I checked to see if this video was released on April Fool's Day, but it's legit.

Yeah, never heard of that one. Only Marshall to my knowledge that was made in the 60s/70s with Reverb was the Artiste..not to be confused with the Power tube/SS pre Artist in the 80s. The Artiste was Marshall's attempt at a Fender type circuit not Bassman related.

Yeah, never heard of that one. Only Marshall to my knowledge that was made in the 60s/70s with Reverb was the Artiste..not to be confused with the Power tube/SS pre Artist in the 80s. The Artiste was Marshall's attempt at a Fender type circuit not Bassman related.

I didn't know about the Artiste. Gotta look it up.

I didn't know about the Artiste. Gotta look it up.
They can usually be had pretty cheap; or at least cheaper than the Superleads/Bass circuit heads. And, of course come with the vintage transformers. But it usually entails lots of work to change them to a SL circuit.

Pass on that one for me. Here's why: When I had a early 90's RI Plexi I would sometimes bring a Fender '63 RI tank to the gig with tit when I was feeling motivated. AMAZING combo IME. Something about the preamping effect of that tank in conjunction with a big clean 6550 Marshall and 4x12 GB cab. I can't live without mix and dwell controls and haven't used reverb live since because of that. Luxuries once sampled become necessities. My wife got in a car wreck about a dozen years ago and had to let the tank go to pay down some associated bills. Almost doubled my money selling for about 650....they are going for 800 or 900 now. Man those are beautiful units but probably won't afford one again. I have a Meris Mercury 7 that is exceedingly lush and juicy with cleans but like every digital verb sounds harsh in the highs with gain to my ears so I never use it except for guitar fun time at home.

Back