16 Ohm 4x12 Cab Connection To Boogie Mark V Head 90 Watt Head

Charvel1975

Hello allđź‘‹ What speaker output on the Boogie Mark V 90 Watt head do you use to connect to a 16 Ohm 4x12 Cabinet?

any of them would work I assume. If there's no 16 then go with an 8 ohm out. usually it's safe to run mismatched ohms with them. someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I have not had one for years until a few days ago.

edit-do you have the manual?

Last edited:
nevermind-page 43--

Two 4 Ohm and two 8 Ohm jacks are provided for speaker interfacing. The MARK V is not very sensitive to speaker mismatches and will not be damaged by them, except that very low ohmage loads will cause the power tubes to wear faster

nevermind-page 43--

Two 4 Ohm and two 8 Ohm jacks are provided for speaker interfacing. The MARK V is not very sensitive to speaker mismatches and will not be damaged by them, except that very low ohmage loads will cause the power tubes to wear faster
Yea that's what I saw in the manual too and it didn't specifically say whether a 16 Ohm cab could be hooked up and the 2 - 8 ohm jacks say Combo? What does that mean, it doesn't even say anything about that in the manual?

Attachments

• 73536.jpeg
    73536.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 47
Yea that's what I saw in the manual too and it didn't specifically say whether a 16 Ohm cab could be hooked up and the 2 - 8 ohm jacks say Combo? What does that mean, it doesn't even say anything about that in the manual?
if you were hooking up 2 16 Ohm cabs you would use the two 8 Ohm jacks ... if you were running 2 8Ohm cabs you would use the 2 4 Ohm jacks ...
Boogie manual says it's perfectly safe to mismatch cabs .... and actually suggests you try it to see if you like the difference

you can try either one .... 4 or 8 .... see which one sounds / feels best

Sorry if my question is stupid but, why did Mesa not have a 16ohm speaker output?

Obviously, it’s safe to run an amplifier set at 8 ohms into a 16 ohm cabinet, but it’s not gonna sound as good as 16 to 16.

Sorry if my question is stupid but, why did Mesa not have a 16ohm speaker output?

Obviously, it’s safe to run an amplifier set at 8 ohms into a 16 ohm cabinet, but it’s not gonna sound as good as 16 to 16.
The transformers in most, if not all, Mesa amps simply don't have a 16 ohm tap. Since Mesa's origins were based on hot rodded vintage Fender amps, they stuck with that Fender blueprint of 2, 4, or 8 ohm outputs.

Well last night my other guitarist and I turned on the Boogie mark V he got through the Harley Benton G412A cab with Celestion Vintage 30's he got too and tried his Ibanez Steve Vai Woody guitar & Ibanez JEM70V Steve Vai Signature - Sea Foam Green and my Charvel model 5fx through it and it took quite some time to get it sounding somewhat ok and there is just this honky sound going on, don't know what it is?
you fire it up?

Accountants.
The 16 ohm winding on the transformer requires the most wire. This makes the wire cost go up, and usually the former cost go up as it needs to be bigger to fit the extra wire.

Back