1959 Les Paul Reissues?

Jonny333

Hey guys,
I may be getting a Gibson Les Paul 1959 reissue and was just wondering if anyone here owned any and how they react with the herbert? (I'm sure great, but a few details would be appreciated just incase anyone can help!) :thumbsup:

I have 3 Les Pauls that I run through a Diezel and a Bogner and a boutique Class A 30W custom job.

LP's and LPC's are terrific guitars, but they can tend to be quite "noisy" when the volume levels are up. This has less to do with the amps, and more to do with the pups and their windings. Humbuckers definitely "buck" the "hum", but the hot bridge 'buckers tend to squeel like a stuck pig when in direct aim of the cabinet.

But, bottom line is - LP's, providing they are set up right (seriously, seems SO stupid an assumption, but seriously get it set up professionally) and there's nothing else to worry about, sound f*ckin' ace with any Diezel. Hell, they sound great through anything period :D

'59 RI's are hard to come by. If you're finding yourself in a bind, screw the marketing and get a '57 RI, same shit, different year... (no offence to LP of course, it's just Gibby's is notorious for the marketing, release and pull back of stock to make the prices soar, when in actuality, they're guitars, and the '57s happen to be my thang...and if I picked up a '59, I'd be hard pressed to notice a difference - and this from a GUY who COLLECTS and PLAYS LP's almost exclusively!!!).

Peace,
V.

Thanks a lot Ventura,
I know exactly what your saying about the 59s being a bit of a rip off. But I have found one with the most stunning flame top that it's making me pretty irrational! I could get a 58 found about $1500 dollars less and it would practically be the same guitar spec-wise, so i'm thinking maybe I should do that.
The only thing is, it's going to be my 21st present (which I would be paying a third of if I got the 59) and so I want it to be a guitar that I keep forever and give to my kids...etc, lol. So I don't want to regret not going all out. What do you think though. It's a 2007 beautiful flame top, stock with no damage for $3500 including shipping. Worth it?
Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Having owned many R9's, I can tell you that they will sound terrific through any Diezel amp.
I have since gotten away from them and have become extremely picky about which one I would buy if getting another one, which for now I am not interested in.

Play it prior to buying it or at least get a window of rejection, if you can. Don't be so excited about the look of the top until you see how it sounds and feels first. However, the 2007 historics are said to be some of the better ones built. Just don't assume that every historic, or 2007 LP is a winner. They are still individual guitars and need to be judged that way.

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

Thanks C-4,
Unfortunately I don't have the priviledge of being able to try one first as I live in the UK and they are far too much to buy here. My dad is going over to the US in a month so would be able to pick it up for me, but I just have to take the sellers word on it and hope for the best. Do you think that is a decent price though? Also can the R9s do a good Guns n Roses tone aswell as all the cleans, blues, and classic rock stuff? I don't want it for metal, but I do want it to be able to get that guns tone.
Thanks for all the opinions (and sorry if it's gone a little of topic, but I really respect you guys advice and it's a little less bias than on the Les Paul forums).

I have a 1998 R8 and owned a 2006 R9. Both sounded superb through the Diezel's.
The 57 Classic's in the R8 are a bit brighter and the Burst Buckers in the R9 were fatter.
Either was, as long as they are around 8-8.5K, Diezel's will love them.

Thanks man, and what do you mean by 8-8.5K?
That reminds me though. I should mention the R9 in question is 9.6lbs, if I did want to sell it on would that make it tricky for the price? The weight doesn't bother me and i'm not looking to sell it on obviously but I would like to know. (and can someone answer the G n' R question! :p )
Thanks,
Jonny.

8-8.5K is the DC resistance of the pickups. IMO, the lower DC resistance and output a pickup has, the more the Diezel's like them.
Can't help with the weight, Both of mine were 8.9 and 9.1 pounds. ;)

9.6 pounds is a heavy R9! Most run 8.3-8.14 pounds. If you ever decide to sell it, the weight might be a consideration as to why you are getting it at such a good price. The heavier historics don't move fast in a re-sell market.

You might want to check out Marks Guitar Loft. His historic prices and descriptions are known to be the most accurate and fair around. The Les Paul Forum really thinks highly of Mark and his reputation is well known.
http://marksguitarloft.com/catalog.php?cat=new

If I were trying other humbuckers in a guitar at this time, I would buy Amber pickups from Germany by Wolfgang Damm. But, they ain't cheap!

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... %26hl%3Den

They are touted as being extremely fine sounding. However, remember that not every pickup will react sound-wise in different guitars, even of the same type guitar. Unfortunately, that is the trick..finding the replacement pickups that enhance the sound of a specific guitar to your personal liking. Wood varies greatly in tone, resonance, etc.

Try doing some reading here: http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Johnny333... Send me a link to the guitar in question, and DO NOT pull the trigger on it yet. Either PM me or the like, and I've also got a hook up on brand new '57s, '58s, '59s all for the same price you're talking about. I've already sent one cat over to my guys and he's in France - and he's stoked. I'll give you the 411, just PM me...

V.

Thanks everyone,
c-4, I've been on Marks GL but they are mostly out of my price range. He does have some great ones though and occasionally one in my budget (just!) I will definately keep looking there if I don't get this one!
Thanks Pauly, nice little confidence boost there!
Ventura, I PMed you! Thanks so much for the help!

Back