1970 JMP checkup on the Fryette bench.

IMG_7690.jpeg

Is a jmp an 800 with different chassis/cab?
The JMP often is referring to the amps with no master volume. JCM 800 is usually the single channel amps with a master volume.
But their is examples of master and non master of both.

The 800 series started about 1980. Earlier was the JMP. Yes your right there was some minor changes in the cosmetics of the cab.

The JMP often is referring to the amps with no master volume. JCM 800 is usually the single channel amps with a master volume.
But their is examples of master and non master of both.

The 800 series started about 1980. Earlier was the JMP. Yes your right there was some minor changes in the cosmetics of the cab.

This is misleading info, at best. There were plenty of MV 2203 and 2204 amps from the JMP era, and non-MV amps (1959, 1987, etc.) that were JCM-800s.

My post was about how the language is usually used.

I made it clear it isn't a absolute. Just how it is usually referenced.

Since it has become uncommon for people to use the full names the slang developed.

My post was about how the language is usually used.

I made it clear it isn't a absolute. Just how it is usually referenced.

Since it has become uncommon for people to use the full names the slang developed.
In my mind it’s plexi up until 69, metal panel for 70-80 Non masters, JMP for 70’s 2203/4’s and then JCM 800 from 81 on.

I know metal panels are also called and labeled JMP and that metal panels started in the second half of ‘69 but I like to keep it simple. For some reason whenever I hear JMP I always think of a 70’s Master volume amp. I had one for 10 years so it’s probably that.

In my mind it’s plexi up until 69, metal panel for 70-80 Non masters, JMP for 70’s 2203/4’s and then JCM 800 from 81 on.

I know metal panels are also called and labeled JMP and that metal panels started in the second half of ‘69 but I like to keep it simple. For some reason whenever I hear JMP I always think of a 70’s Master volume amp. I had one for 10 years so it’s probably that.
I can definitely see it the way too. Just shows how diversified the language is.

Back