2/12 cabs

Hollywood

Okay, if you were gonna go out and buy a new 2/12 cab tomorrow.
What 2/12 cab would you get and why ? :confused:
Keep in mind you may want this cab for a dual purpose. :yes:
To use by itself and then maybe to add with another cab, maybe even a 4/12 cab at some point.

I have an OS Bogner 2x12 with v30s, great sounding cab but new I would save several dollars and go with a mesa cab myself. Used changes everything and more choices, I have heard great things about the Port City stuff as well.

What are you looking for?

Huge sound?

Focused?

Tight?

Fills room?

You need to figure out ported or sealed first imo.

I was actually thinking of trying a Splawn cab. :confused:
Maybe trying one of Scott Splawn's Streetrod combos,
with a matching 2/12 cab to sit that combo on and then run the cab with the combo for larger rooms. Just a thought ?
This way I get the smaller yet portable rig to use,
when I need to do things for my daughter's lil gigs.
Then also I have a rig I can get things useful that I am normally wanting also.
Heck even Carl Roa is going with the Splawns ...
Ralph/Gainfreak was also mentioning the Splawns.
I have been wanting one of those new 2010 Nitros for quite a bit also. :doh: :LOL: :LOL: Scott Splawn builds products that are priced right and made right here in the USA. ;)

Of the ones I've played I'd rate like this:

Bogner OS212-Most balanced sound, good for all applications.
Mills 212-punchy and big sounding. Maybe too "boxy" sounding for some styles?
Recto 212-V30's sound a little buzzy and scooped out because of the cab dimensions.
Roadster 212-Sounds better than the recto cab IMO. (much like the stiletto cab sounds better than the oversized recto 412)
Orange 212-probably my second fav next to the Bogner. Sort of like the best of the two Mesa cabs-tight, punchy and big sounding, but smooth mids and a darker, less harsh high end.

I've got an Egnater modular series 2x12 cab, which is basically a Mojotone custom series oversized 2x12 cabinet with Egnater coloring. I love the cab. It's got plenty on low-end, handles high gain really well, and is surprisingly lightweight.

I was recently in the market for a 2x12 and was looking to go with Port City. Then I saw a CAA ported 2x12 with Scumback M75's for a great price and decided to give it a try due to its compact size and light weight. I'm glad that I did as this little thing sounds huge.

That said, I've never played the Port City so I can't compare, but I like the CAA better than any of my past 2x12's (Marshall, Bogner, Mesa, Fender Tonemaster, Matchless, GB G-Flex). I'd still love to demo the Port City someday.

splawn for me for sure. i have 2 splawn 4x12s i really like and if i needed a 2x12 i'd go with splawn yet again. :D

There are a lot a great ones already mentioned. I'll add my favorite to the list. The Hermida Ported 2x12 cab. I own 2 of them. They sound huge and are relatively light. Another great one that I own is the Stone Age 2x12C. I like it better than the Bogner OS.

I have an Ear Candy and it sounds very nice. To pretty to take out though so it stays in the studio.

I am starting the process of building 2 2x12 vertical cabs. They will be modeled after the mesa vertical 2x12s with what i believe to be improvments.

I have a Port City OS2x12 with Scumback M75/H75. It rules. If i couldn't get a Port City I'd settle for a Bogner or Mesa.

I've owned most of the 2x12's out there.

My top 3 in order are:
Orange 2x12
Engl Pro 2x12
Lopoline Signature 2x12 (that is correct)

All of these are fat, warm, and percussive...........which is what I like :thumbsup:

What I have discovered is that I don't like oversized "vintage" cabs.........including the Bogner OS. I also HATED the Port City. And I didn't care for the VHT Fatbottom (even with a speaker change).

Other really good cabs that fall below my top 3 are the Splawn Regular 212 and Egnater TM212 (the cheap one).

I've also owned an EarCandy Buzzbomb, numerous Avatar and Mojotone cabs, Marshall 1936, Mesa Recto 212, and G-Flex. Probably others I can't think of right now.

I've yet to try a Mills, but don't feel the need to with the Orange.

I love my 2x12 Mesa Recto cab. Sounds great. I use it with my 5150 III when I'm to lazy to bring the matching 5150 III 4x12 cab.
EVH.jpg

Back