2 older Carvins with the poor low quality preamp

boogiesurfer

I have been in Hawaii for many years ~55. I have only been able to narrow down the year of my two knob custom HH with "regular" selection switch" and three small toggles serial #47348, to ~'96-'98? (two toggles directly under the selector switch, and one directly under the tone knob). I have frequented a local guitar/amps/tech shop for many years, and took this Carvin and another "four knob" to be serviced. I now realize that the "preamps" in my two Carvins are very poorly recognized and not of good quality.

Unfortunately, with my guitar shop, I specified to check the pre-amp, clean electronics and the two small pots, and clean and adjust the Wilkinson trem as necessary; and the owner, who now does "set-ups" only, without the tech in the store anymore! I have basically found out now that the owner did basically nothing but change the strings to EB 9-46 and set intonation and action, "cleaned" Wilkinson but did basically nothing else. Did nothing with the electronics preamp, and said to me when I picked it up, "Oh, it sounds fine." Of course this is Hawaii one of the highest, if not the highest, cost of living states in the nation; and he charged me close to $250!!

What do you think of all this? And, any help with both guitars' quality/proper pots (reg. and/or push pull pots, and selector switch), while removing preamp and toggles or keeping toggles, would be most appreciated! And, BTW the pups in the 127 are replaced with the Bareknuckle's that have been removed from the four knob that's in the shop now with Billy C's Signature Z1's being installed. I'm just looking for excellent quality control upgrades that can make these great guitars of mine sing. I see these Carvins have very good resale value.

Thanks for all you do!

Happy Thanksgiving and Free Bump Day. :)

Also, welcome to Rig-Talk :cheers:

Honestly dude, I'd ask a mod to move this to the main forum. You will get more views/responses that way. There are only a handful of people check out Tech Corner (and they are very smart indeed). I know nothing about these guitars and know very little about preamps in a guitar so this is all I can offer. It does sound like you got screwed. I would never pay $250 for a setup. Hell, you can restring, clean and setup your own guitars for free. That, and the tech that worked there is no longer there.

Lastly, there are a few dudes on here that are from Hawaii, I just can't think of their names right now. @errrrrl and for some reason I feel like @romanianreaper knows people there too. They may have ideas on other shops, etc.

Does that help?

Back