20th Shiva Gain

ttosh

I asked recently if the 20th Shiva could hit the gain level of songs like Mr. Tinkertrain and was told yes no problem. I then read on another thread that the Shiva's gain is a vintage gain which I do not consider Zakk's tone vintage on this album at all. So how modern does the 20th Shiva really get? Can it cover early 90s rock and hard rock. I know it will cover the 70s and 80s rock with no issues, but am curious about the vintage rock comment as it was made by 2 different people now.

what guitars are ou playing? that will make the difference. Ive heard ppl say how vintage it sounds but I can get vintage or modern tone out of it. Especially with the shift knob and the way you use the excursion.

If you listen to this song we recorded and go to about the 3:25 mark you will hear how it sounds thru a bogner 4X12 with the gain at 3 oclock and the volume at 11.

https://soundcloud.com/runsilentrundeep/the-mariner

tried to embed it but cant figure out how, sorry.

RSRD":17jd85j7 said:
what guitars are ou playing? that will make the difference. Ive heard ppl say how vintage it sounds but I can get vintage or modern tone out of it. Especially with the shift knob and the way you use the excursion.

If you listen to this song we recorded and go to about the 3:25 mark you will hear how it sounds thru a bogner 4X12 with the gain at 3 oclock and the volume at 11.

https://soundcloud.com/runsilentrundeep/the-mariner

tried to embed it but cant figure out how, sorry.

At the 3:25 mark it gets thick and chewy sounding, I love that Bogner tone. The mids are dark but still stand out. I dig that tone a lot and it has the same type of mid structure the XTCs I have owned had, a little different but close. That is pretty modern sounding as well to me. What guitar/pickups were you using? I think it sounded good, my headphones at work suck and are very bass heavy so it sounded a bit dark, not the amp but the whole recording, again because of my headphones. Cool song also BTW, I enjoyed it.

I think this will get as modern as I would want in an amp. Also if you backed off the gain and upped the volume it would open up quite a bit more if like the XTC as well. Thanks for sharing the clip, hearing in context of a discussion helps.

I prefer it a bit darker and the settings I used tend to be gain heavy. I like to go from those beautiful shiva cleans right to the thick bogner gain. So you are right ( the recordgin is a bit 'muddy' so i apologize for that) I just recently started reigning the gain back and opening the volume up to avoid the super compression that the recording has. Love the tone.

I played mainly thru a Melancon Custom T (guitar on left) but a double track was on the PRS CU24 and leads (in other songs) on the Oxblood LP:

photo-5.jpg

Do you have a place to demo the 20ths?

I keep telling people this but then I think....why spread the word? let everyone else envy of the tone of the 20th shiva :rock:

We play everything from led Zep to Van Halen to STP to Alice in Chains, Ozzy to Metallica and Alter Bridge and it does them all perfectly to us. :) With the mode switch in and maybe the shift buttom in (or not) it is PLENTY aggressive and modern. when I think modern...I thikn aggressive with more bass. You can set it up that way if you like. I have tried a lot of modern amps, Friedman Naked, Dual Rectifier, Diezel....the 20th Shiva (Mine has EL34s) is king to my ears. :)

We even play a few heavier things once in a while, old Anthrax, System of a Down and I have yet to get the gain above 2:00.

I like to have variety and been checking out lots of amps and ended up with the 20th Shiva and PWE EH which cover way different things tonally. The Shiva even with EL34s is the darker, more modern tones amp and the EH is the hot rodded Marshall...like a Splawn but warmer. I keep trying XTC's....but none thrill me like the new Shiva....even for modern heavy.

THANK YOU
i think i should thank you very much for you can waste lot of time to write this post .....thank

you again for your sharing..

Back