2205/2210 clones?

Bloodrock

Anyone know if somebody builds a good Marshall 2205/2210 clone? I miss my old 2205 but it had issues. Hard to find a really great sounding, reliable one these days.

Not a clone but a Marshall Silver Jubilee RI should get you close and you wouldn't have the worries about older reliability issues.

Not a clone but a Marshall Silver Jubilee RI should get you close and you wouldn't have the worries about older reliability issues.
Definitely a good choice. They are damn close in tone to the original, too.

But, I’ve had a few 2205/10s and gigged often with them. Never had any issues?
The channel bleed didn’t affect anything at gig volume when I had mine. Only noticeable at lower volume.

I'm not aware of anyone making a 2205/2210 clone, which is too bad. My best advice is to buy a real one and get it fixed up by a tech, then hold onto it for dear life, which is how I ended up with 3 of them. If you're concerned about reliability, look for later serial numbers (85-90, SN starts with "T" for '85, "Y" for '90), the newer the better I suppose, or find one that has already been cleaned up. FWIW, both my '85 and '86 are still on their original caps, I play them often, they are a little noisy (easily solved by noise gate) but still sound absolutely killer.

Also, Silver Jubilee RI does not sound like a 2205/2210. Not even close IMO.

I'm not aware of anyone making a 2205/2210 clone, which is too bad. My best advice is to buy a real one and get it fixed up by a tech, then hold onto it for dear life, which is how I ended up with 3 of them. If you're concerned about reliability, look for later serial numbers (85-90, SN starts with "T" for '85, "Y" for '90), the newer the better I suppose, or find one that has already been cleaned up. FWIW, both my '85 and '86 are still on their original caps, I play them often, they are a little noisy (easily solved by noise gate) but still sound absolutely killer.

Also, Silver Jubilee RI does not sound like a 2205/2210. Not even close IMO.
Yep, the Jubilees are their own thing. The 2205/10s sound like an already boosted 2203/4. The 2205s have a unique midrange though; that the 2210s don't have. It's why Schenker prefers the later 87-90 2205s. They take the place of his boosted JMPs and wah pedal.

If you can find a Jubilee clone (ceriatone?) then it's a fairly quick process to convert the circuit to a 2210.
Although it wouldnt have reverb if you care about that.

Yep, the Jubilees are their own thing. The 2205/10s sound like an already boosted 2203/4. The 2205s have a unique midrange though; that the 2210s don't have. It's why Schenker prefers the later 87-90 2205s. They take the place of his boosted JMPs and wah pedal.
That mid range is awesome. I have a friend with a 1990 2205 and nothing sounds exactly like it but it's fantastic

" if" he boosted his JMP's... I feel like he might have been an everything wide open with that sh-5 driving the tone in early UFO. But the wah actually robs a bit of gain so i dont know how he squeazed so much out of those. He's Def a " tone is in the hands" player.

Back