5150 Iconic is...

Bloodrock

This is a tweaked Marshall circuit without a doubt. I've owned pretty much every amp known to man and the iconic sounds nothing like the old 5150's, or any EVH amp. Great amp EVH! You nailed a great sound with this one.

Which marshall circuit do you think it most resembles, tone-wise?

Shouldn’t be too hung up on looks but I like the looks of it honestly.

Sounds like a modded 800 to me. The red channel adds bass and shifts the mid frequencies a little, but the green channel with the crunch/boost on sounds almost identical to a Marshall tone stack. Mean sounding amp. Stays tight AF without any pedals.

Sounds like a modded 800 to me. The red channel adds bass and shifts the mid frequencies a little, but the green channel with the crunch/boost on sounds almost identical to a Marshall tone stack. Mean sounding amp. Stays tight AF without any pedals.
You playing the combo or head/though cab.
Wondering what the stock Speaker(s) sound like

Played one the other day.
I like it. More than the EVH amps.
I could see grabbing one for crispy rock and metal tones.

Hmm, maybe worth checking in out

I think so. For $1000, it has a decent clean, great crunch and hot-rodded sound all on the first channel. Set for JCM+ gain, using guitar volume to clean up, hitting boost for heavy stuff, that first channel is worth the price. Channel 2 has over the top gain, sounds quite like channel 1. It's a bit more compressed, not as open.
I liked it.

I think so. For $1000, it has a decent clean, great crunch and hot-rodded sound all on the first channel. Set for JCM+ gain, using guitar volume to clean up, hitting boost for heavy stuff, that first channel is worth the price. Channel 2 has over the top gain, sounds quite like channel 1. It's a bit more compressed, not as open.
I liked it.

Agree with based on some time with it. Definitely a cool amp.

Sorry to bust up the party fellas, but in case ya’ll didn’t know, the first official demo EVH put out for the amp had a relatively questionable general reception, and there’s an “influencer” or two on YouTube who don’t think the amp is all that great after spending zero time playing it themselves.

I’m afraid it’s simply not a Bona Fide Officially Approved Rig-Talk Tone Machine. Please turn in your official Good Tone Haver cards at the door on your way out. Thanks in advance.

Sorry to bust up the party fellas, but in case ya’ll didn’t know, the first official demo EVH put up for the app was not generally well received, and there’s a person or two on YouTube who don’t think the amp is all that great after spending zero time playing it themselves.

I’m afraid it’s simply not a Bona Fide Officially Approved Rig-Talk Tone Machine. Please turn in your official Good Tone Haver cards at the door on your way out. Thanks in advance.
I don't like it.

But, then again, Im not a huge fan of the original either. 😂

I don't like it.

But, then again, Im not a huge fan of the original either. 😂

Congratulations on your continued Good Tone Haver membership. We hope you’re looking forward to your Jacket fitting soon!

j/k. :D

All good man! I’m a huge fan of the original. Haven’t tried an Iconic in person but the demos put out by people I respect make it sound great. I’m really looking forward to trying one out for myself sometime.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your continued Good Tone Haver membership. We hope you’re looking forward to your Jacket fitting soon!

j/k. :D

All good man! I’m a huge fan of the original. Haven’t tried an Iconic in person but the demos put out by people I respect make it sound great. i’m really looking forward to trying one out for myself sometime.
I've tried one in person.

Obviously I'm not a 5150 connoisseur, so I hated it

But I will say, for the love of God don't buy the iconic cabinet with it - I can say for certain, that that was the culprit in the first EVH video. Plugged into the matching cab it sounded like weedy, thin, fizzy ass.

I have no idea what those speakers are in it, but they sounded like dogshit - the iconic plugged into an uberkab or a mesa OS, it sounded much closer to a "normal" 5150/6505, so I would assume more like what you're looking for.

This is a tweaked Marshall circuit without a doubt. I've owned pretty much every amp known to man and the iconic sounds nothing like the old 5150's, or any EVH amp. Great amp EVH! You nailed a great sound with this one.
Do you have the 40 w combo?

Back