5150 mods... revealed w/ pictures

155":ipp5wezj said:
what does the "main mod" do exactly? looks easy enough
It drives the ladies wild ;)

chicks dig it :thumbsup:

The mod takes away some presence or fizz and makes the upper mids more defined and present. Better chord definition

psychodave":hixi8409 said:
I tried the 10pf across pins 6 and 7 and it made the amp real dark and the bottom end didn't stay together as much.

I ended up going back to the 10pf cap on pins 7 and 8. The amp is slightly brighter, but the bottom end doesn't fart out at all. It also has a little more aggression. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the update I was curious what the difference would be.

Thanks for checking it out every one!!

psychodave":p2ajwzrf said:
rbasaria":p2ajwzrf said:
Did the R9, bias, and 10 pf mods...

I hear the difference. I like it. :thumbsup:

Where did you put the cap? Between pins 6 and 7 or 7 and 8?

If you go too low, you choke out the amps sound. The 68k was cool, but seemed to make the amp too tight for me. Thats why I ended up going with the 120k. Keep in mind that you changed the 1 meg resistor to 63.67k. That is a drastic change.

Use this chart to figure out the resistance
http://www.1728.com/resistrs.htm

I put it between 7 and 8. I just used your pictures as a guide. I tried bypassing the C15 cap, like you said, but I couldnt get a wire soldered under it, and I didnt wanna cut it, so I just left it. I also couldnt figure out which leg to clip on which res, so I just left that as well...but I dont really care about low end on the rhythm channel that much. I didnt use a silver mica cap, though, cuz skycraft didnt have those...I just grabbed a 10 pf and stuck it in there. I like the amp a lot more now, at low volumes, but I still like my 6505 212 better. Im gonna crank it tomorrow at the studio and see how it fares. While its tighter, its still not as tight as I would like, but that may change at higher volumes. My combo is MUCH tighter, and tracks VERY VERY fast....which is what I love about it. THanks for posting these man!!

Just scored 2 5150 blockletters, one for $450, and one for $350 shipped, plus I have the blockletter Mailman traded to me... its time to go Frankenstien on this shit!!!

pfapin05":2u4ru557 said:
Just scored 2 5150 blockletters, one for $450, and one for $350 shipped, plus I have the blockletter Mailman traded to me... its time to go Frankenstien on this shit!!!
Man! Where do you find'em at those kind of prices!!???

johnnyjellybean":3nhzagij said:
pfapin05":3nhzagij said:

backdoor special on the loadout?
:LOL: :LOL:

I have pedels that I spent more for...

johnnyjellybean":3b5wqqt7 said:
pfapin05":3b5wqqt7 said:

I just get lucky... and am about to add a few more when I can find some again for that price!!!

psychodave":svprjlib said:
johnnyjellybean":svprjlib said:
pfapin05":svprjlib said:
I see those prices as well. I paid $450 for mine. I passed on one for $350. They are run of the mill amps....people that pay more than $500 are nuts...unless is is in super mint condition. ;)

Either way, I love how my 5150 sounds with the mods. I learned yesterday that I am now able to crank the gain on the rhythm channel and not get any flub. I then slapped a TIM out front and the amp crushed. I am dying to find someone with a SLO to compare. ;)

I almost scored a blockletter 5150 and a Marshall 800 4x12 with greenbacks for $350 local until they found out what it was worth. That would have been an epic score!

Back