6505+ Blown Fuse, or something else?

jc986

Hey guys,

I turned my 6505+ on today and as soon as I switched it off of standby there was a pop and a bit of smoke. I flipped the amp back into standby and noticed that one of the power tubes was not lit, so I turned the amp off. I had a spare set of tubes so I swapped the new set in, powered on, and they all light up, but when trying to take the amp out of standby, the standby light doesn't illuminate and there's no sound. The main fuse accessible from the back of the amp must be alright, or there wouldn't be any power to the amp at all, right?

I popped the chassis out of the headshell and looked at the other fuses and none of them look to be blown visibly (I've only experienced 2 blown fuses in the past with other amps and it was pretty apparent in those cases). I've got some new fuses on the way since the ones I have on hand aren't the same value needed for a 6505+. Any ideas?

If it's a fuse I can handle it and I'm not bad with a soldering iron, but if it's too involved I will probably take it to a tech.

If fuses and power tubes didn't work. Check the molex connector that goes between the preamp and power sections.
The white molex connector ended up burning up on mine and did something very similar.

Here is a picture I found online of one that had burnt.
chassis2.jpg

I took it to a tech and he just soldered the black wires to the pins, which bypassed the white connector.

I don't see anything with visible burns inside the amp. New fuses will be here tomorrow so I'll give that a go first.

There should be a B+ fuse as well beside the mains fuse. Normally blown power tubes will take that fuse out. Maybe I missed it if you checked that one.

Maybe I'm missing something but I'm only seeing one main fuse (accessible from the back of the amp), and 5 fuses that attach to the main board.

Back