7 String - Round 5

Rock Bodom

As I am incapable of ever learning from my mistakes in the past, I've just ordered a new 7 string. 5th time I've been down this path.

In my mind I will stick with it and in no time will be whipping though Jeff Loomis riffs and leads, and maybe some Vai.

In reality, I'll play the one Korn riff I know, then play a few Metallica riffs on the low B just for fun, and then it will sit in the case until I sell it a few months later. :doh:

As someone who's been right there and ended up playing mostly 7s now, here are two things you can try....

Tune the G down a half step, which essentially gives you a baritone with the addition of a high E. It'll let you use all the familiar chord shapes on the lower 6 strings. This was a big one for me, and got me playing long enough to get used to the feel of the neck and actually prefer it.

The other is just playing 6 string stuff and thinking of the low B being in the way as a training tool. Using a 7 for all the normal fast death metal riffs I play on a regular 6 string tightened up my right hand better than any method I've ever used.

Or maybe you'll never get into them. It was probably my 10th try on 20 years when it finally stuck for me hahahah.

Metlupass2":1ca5ayxd said:
Exactly what I've done more than 5x
:rock:

xzacx":1ca5ayxd said:
Tune the G down a half step, which essentially gives you a baritone with the addition of a high E. It'll let you use all the familiar chord shapes on the lower 6 strings.
I had never thought of that...that is totally brilliant, I can totally see how that would make things more familiar. Definitely gonna try that (probably right out of the gate actually), appreciate the tip!

xzacx":1ca5ayxd said:
Using a 7 for all the normal fast death metal riffs I play on a regular 6 string tightened up my right hand better than any method I've ever used.
Yeah, all joking aside, this is really what interests me. I like playing those death metal riffs as well, and I do feel like the 7 string is a great workout.

It was your 10th try? Aw man, I'm barely halfway there :LOL: :LOL:

jc986":ejnlfg0j said:
What did you order? I’ve come to prefer my 7’s over the past couple years.
Another reissue Ibanez Universe Vai model (black with green pickups).

I've had 2 Schecter Loomis models in the past, a really nice ESP Horizon 7 (back when you could do the "semi-custom" thing on their regular models). And one of these Universes before.

The neck kind of just feels right to me on them, and not too much money invested. I like the look too.

I do kind of the same thing with the 8 string.

I’m primarily a 7 string player, but I have a cheap RG8 on the wall that I will pull down every couple months to go donk-donk-donk on the low string, and play meshuggah tunes. I’ll be into it for a week or so, then back on the wall it goes.

Try Drop G.

I have had a few 7's and currently waiting for a response from Schecter about another but i am no pro. I have however experimented quite a bit with tunings and while it is pretty low, Drop G was definitely the best and most familiar. It is like playing in D only much heavier sounding.

mnemonic":3tvfpkya said:
I do kind of the same thing with the 8 string.
Hah, yeah, that's gotta be in a whole other league, I don't even think I could get my hands around one of those! I can see it being fun to mess around with though...

maddnotez":3hrs2kij said:
I have however experimented quite a bit with tunings and while it is pretty low, Drop G was definitely the best and most familiar.
Wow, that's low, but alright man, I'll have to try it!!

My plan has been to set it up in Bb because it covers a lot of ground. My normal 6 string tuning is down a half step, so this would keep the high 6 strings useful for a lot of stuff I already know, and Nevermore tuning is Bb and that's some ground I wanted to re-visit. Plus I like the string tension on the lighter side. I do want to experiment with the G string down that extra half step as well though.

Man, I can't even think of anything that low...like Nile in drop A is sort of the bottom for me, what stuff do you play in Drop G?

I have made 4 attempts. Never again. I don't play nearly as much metal as I used to.

If I play heavier stuff, I have some guitars in c#std or I drop the c# to a B. No lower than that for me. I have two floaters in c# two hardtail and one LP. Everything else is Estd.

Rock Bodom":30mnxacc said:
maddnotez":30mnxacc said:
I have however experimented quite a bit with tunings and while it is pretty low, Drop G was definitely the best and most familiar.
Wow, that's low, but alright man, I'll have to try it!!

My plan has been to set it up in Bb because it covers a lot of ground. My normal 6 string tuning is down a half step, so this would keep the high 6 strings useful for a lot of stuff I already know, and Nevermore tuning is Bb and that's some ground I wanted to re-visit. Plus I like the string tension on the lighter side. I do want to experiment with the G string down that extra half step as well though.

Man, I can't even think of anything that low...like Nile in drop A is sort of the bottom for me, what stuff do you play in Drop G?
Well if I get this 7 from Schecter I will just write my own there but when I used it. I joined a band nearby temp. The guy let me use his 7 since I didn't have one at the time and they had a few songs written. It was "metal".

At first I was thinking wtf, you tune to drop G? Absolutely no way but I will at least give it a shot. After a couple of weeks of practice I got to really really like it and like I said to me, it was just like playing in D. Maybe I am just weird.

swamptrashstompboxes":1qjx287i said:
I have made 4 attempts. Never again. I don't play nearly as much metal as I used to.

If I play heavier stuff, I have some guitars in c#std or I drop the c# to a B. No lower than that for me. I have two floaters in c# two hardtail and one LP. Everything else is Estd.
You may be smarter than me :LOL: :LOL:

In my new group, we're actually playing in E standard. Gotta admit, it does keep things simple and sounds just fine for the music we play!

maddnotez":2s7nazop said:
At first I was thinking wtf, you tune to drop G? Absolutely no way but I will at least give it a shot. After a couple of weeks of practice I got to really really like it and like I said to me, it was just like playing in D. Maybe I am just weird.
That's funny, but yeah, sometimes it's what you least expect turns out awesome!

Good luck with the Schecter, I'm a fan of those (both the Korean and the USA)!

Rock Bodom":3ymvw3o1 said:
swamptrashstompboxes":3ymvw3o1 said:

You may be smarter than me :LOL: :LOL:

In my new group, we're actually playing in E standard. Gotta admit, it does keep things simple and sounds just fine for the music we play!

Lol. Drop tuning is so overrated. I have some where between 30 and 40 guitars and Estd does all I need.

I don't like the multiscale or baritones much either tbh.

As far as c#std goes I don't feel the need to use a long scale. Some of my favorite tones were in c# on a 24.75" scale (pepper Keenen on down) after all I am a big NOLA metal with blues and doom mixed IN kind of guy.

I actually have a semi hollow hofner in c# and it is a wicked sounding guitar for what I like.

Once I started playing some riffs on the low B I originally wrote in E I was hooked. After a month I couldn't play my 6 strings anymore.

I play in drop A, drop G# drop G mainly on my sevens and drop C or C standard on my sixes. I can cover any standard E stuff on my drop A 7, half step down on my drop G#, and full step down in drop G. The only stuff the sevens didn’t replace for me is drop C / C Standard.

I love 7 and 6, go back and forth. Took a little time, but got used to it after a while.

Here's a good explanation of what you're experiencing and the tuning above explained and shown in detail. Good demo here:

jc986":348pe8mr said:
I play in drop A, drop G# drop G mainly on my sevens and drop C or C standard on my sixes. I can cover any standard E stuff on my drop A 7, half step down on my drop G#, and full step down in drop G. The only stuff the sevens didn’t replace for me is drop C / C Standard.

This is exactly how I roll as well. Drop Ab or G# , whichever you prefer is my favorite 7 string tuning at the moment. I always preferred my 6's tuned down a half step with a drop Db before I got a 7 string. My ESP SC-20 is setup in Drop Db right now and my 7 is Drop Ab. Looing to buy either another 7 for Drop G or an 8 string to go F standard.

Rock Bodom":ckvelto2 said:
maddnotez":ckvelto2 said:
That's funny, but yeah, sometimes it's what you least expect turns out awesome!

Good luck with the Schecter, I'm a fan of those (both the Korean and the USA)!

Thanks. This one is South Korea.

https://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars ... arl-detail

I actually just heard back from the rep. I think I may get it but still debating. My issue is I am going to use Musician Friend card but they don't have the color I want and they said it will take 4-6 weeks to get one.

Back