About the Marshall JMP-1 preamp

nigelpkay

Considering picking up one of these as I’ve never tried one. Anything I should know in terms of any known quirks or technical issues? Things to watch out for when buying a used one?
Does it have a good base JCM 800 sound or is it more DSL-ish?
So many big bands have used it in their rigs so it seems it must be pretty good but I wonder if that’s because of the midi flexibility and rack mount for touring etc

No issues with the two I’ve owned- still have one. Quality power amp is a crucial, but can always just use fx return of another amp too.

It’s not going to make me sell any of my Marshalls, but it’s a really fun amp to play and has some great high gain tones in it. Mod and lower gain are decent as well. I don’t really ever mess with the clean mode so not sure there. Overall I dig em and think they’re just straight up fun to play

No issues with the two I’ve owned- still have one. Quality power amp is a crucial, but can always just use fx return of another amp too.

It’s not going to make me sell any of my Marshalls, but it’s a really fun amp to play and has some great high gain tones in it. Mod and lower gain are decent as well. I don’t really ever mess with the clean mode so not sure there. Overall I dig em and think they’re just straight up fun to play
Any power amp recommendations? A local seller is using it with a Mesa 2:50 with EL34. I’ve heard the corresponding Marshall power amps from that period have overheating issues.

I remember it being weird to dial in. But all the tones are in there. Can do the JCM type thing and also pretty modern metal. Great units.

Back