Acoustic guitars...

I've got an Ibanez AEF-30 right now. It's pretty nice considering I got it off eBay in mint condition for around $300/shipped a few years ago. It's maple top, back, and sides.

I'm thinking about getting something with mahogany back/sides and probably a spruce top.

Two guitars that interest me are the Taylor 314-CE and the Larrivee LV-03.

If I'm playing my acoustic it's usually popular/easy radio friendly covers...a la Nirvana, Days of the New, Tenacious D, some Lynyrd Skynyrd, and things of that sort...

My question is...would one of those guitars be suitable for that kind of music or should I buy a dreadnought? My Ibanez is more along the lines of the Taylor and the Larrivee I mentioned above, and I've never played a dreadnought.

What would you guys recommend? I've got the chance to play a few acoustic gigs with my friend just doing cover songs, and I've been wanting another acoustic...

Hah, I got an acoustic that I rarely play. Some electrified Fender one. I never play the damn thing and will probably sell it. I think most of the people here are metalheads so I dunno how much help you'll get. :p In my opinion, most acoustics sound fairly similar and no one will really know the difference. Find one that's easy to play instead of worrying about your tone right now. Then when you got about a grand, you could buy a nice Martin. ;)

your best bet is the acoustic forum at HC. this is a non-acoustic forum.

however i play mine pretty regularly

stay away from applause/ovation

play a lot of differant types

be prepared to pay a lot for a nice one

Yeah...that I am prepared for..within reason.

I'm somewhat toying with the idea of selling the Blackmore to help fund the acoustic.

Maybe half the $$ of the Blackmore for an acoustic...the other half for another amp.

My favorite acoustic guitars are the Rainsong graphite ones. There's just something I dig about the way they sound and play. I can't justify spending that kind of cash on something that I won't play that often, so I wait.

orangekick":9ff11 said:
My favorite acoustic guitars are the Rainsong graphite ones. There's just something I dig about the way they sound and play. I can't justify spending that kind of cash on something that I won't play that often, so I wait.

I thought I liked the Rainsong graphites until I played an Emerald Artisan :gott:

I have a X10 & X30 now and have yet to find an acoustic that can play like it and cut thru a BIG rock mix the same! 8)

77345199.jpg

Flying_high

F...king Funny :hys:

They can help...

Feintguitarist - getting back to your question.

I have a Seagull: M6 & M12 (mahogany back/sides with a spruce top) dreadnought - & play them all the time. Good bright tones with that wood combinations.

Larrivee's & Taylor's are both make great guitars. But for me I did not like the 314 - it was not as responsive as the Larivee. IMO

I would lean more toward the the Larrivee (more bang for your buck). They have great sound responce. The Mohogany will give it a brighter tone. My next up grade will be one of these D-03, L-03 or D-05 (still can't make up my mind) :x

You may want to check out the D-series, gives you more of a low end (more wood) than the L-series, for the type of muisc that you want to play. You won't go wrong with a Larrivee. :2thumbs:

Cool..will do.

I'm going tomorrow to try out some Larrivee's...there's a dealer about 25mins from here I did not know about, and then Guitar CEnter is about a 25 minute drive from there..so I might make it down to GuitarCenter as well.

Elderly has the D03RE for $1004. My friend said she could get me the 314CE for $1300, maybe alittle less. The LV03e is $1100 at Elderly...just see which I like most tomorrow..if I go.

I'm hoping I'll prefer about a $600 breedlove. :p Then I could just swap my Blackmore out for a Fireball..use that extra cash + some on my part and get a Breedlove.

My friend works at guitar center, and she owns a 314 that she likes a lot. She said the Breedloves are nice too, but sometimes have QC issues.

Breeds are nice too.

Ck. out as many guitars as you can, just to find that right tone that your looking for.

Other sites to ck. out - good pricing

http://www.notableguitars.com./

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/index.html

http://www.acousticaxis.com/index.html

Its great when friends let you use their discounts :mrgreen:

Try the Larrivee and by the way, if possible also the L03R! It was my first contact with Larrivee and it is an excellent finished, great sounding guitar. The rosewood changes the world. I bought finally a LV05E, cause I thought I would need a pu/preamp-system and of course a cutaway. BUT: on stage I don't use my Larrivee, if I need an acousticsound I take my Godin A12, so the pu is useless. Seriously, for me it's a great guitar, but I would have had perhaps even more fun with the L03R. :cheers:

Back