All the best non master volume Marshall’s in one amp?

What's the difference between the '67 and the '70? Weren't both those years Plexis? Just account for slight circuit changes over the years?

Wish they included a JMP/JCM800 option

Wow, that REALLY nails those vintage tones. Very impressed.

Of course, it really helps having the period correct speakers...huge part of those sounds.
Yeaa that doesn’t hurt. And his playing style fits that vintage Marshall sound so well. Would love to spend 30 minutes with one of these

What's the difference between the '67 and the '70? Weren't both those years Plexis? Just account for slight circuit changes over the years?

Wish they included a JMP/JCM800 option
The 67 is going to be softer/less aggressive than the 70-73 metal panels. And, the 64 JTM softer yet. But different enough still from each other.

I feel like it sounds great in the clips, but a top hat emplex already does this, including the tube/ss rectification on a switch
This. Those amps cover a ton of ground.

The one I had sounded like old Slayer when boosted with a TS. At the time, I didn't even know any Slayer riffs, but it was unmistakable. This is going to sound weird AF, but a Top Hat Emplexador made me a Slayer fan.

This. Those amps cover a ton of ground.

The one I had sounded like old Slayer when boosted with a TS. At the time, I didn't even know any Slayer riffs, but it was unmistakable. This is going to sound weird AF, but a Top Hat Emplexador made me a Slayer fan.
I had an Emplexador for several years and my experience was not the same.
It was neutered in the top end and always felt too tame to compare to a raging Marshall.
Maybe it’s me, but without that upper midrange and treble, it just isn’t the same experience.

I had an Emplexador for several years and my experience was not the same.
It was neutered in the top end and always felt too tame to compare to a raging Marshall.
Maybe it’s me, but without that upper midrange and treble, it just isn’t the same experience.
Agreed, I haven’t tried an emplexador, but the other Top Hat’s I’ve had were IME just another somewhat neutered/filtered sounding version of their vintage counterparts (Vox type in the case of the ones I’ve had)

I find the raging and uppermidrange sound, which I’m a huge fan of, really didn’t seem to start from what I could tell until sometime after 1967 (not sure on exact year), but whichever era of Marshall one copies, all the recent amps I’ve tried miss the mark in sounding organic, raw and rich in the same way as the real deals. Not trying to be a negative Nancy, but the Tone King’s I have tried (one of which was a Royalist) had the same problem, so I wouldn’t be super optimistic about this new one, but it still imo sounded admittedly quite good in this clip and would try it if I can

Last edited:
The first version metroplex I had I thought sounded filtered or restrained to me vs real vintage Marshall’s. I hope this new Tone King is better than the metroplex I had
George posted a clip on Facebook. Sounded real nice. Wondering what the differences are between I and III

Back