Alternative to mercury magnetics

Not sure I am even novice level, but have built three amps, all using Heyboer.
Couldn't be happier.

Have you ever used mercury?what's the price difference?
Ive never used Mercury. Well, I have a Mercury choke in my JTM45.
From my experience, the Mercury products are pricey. More than Heyboer.
Have read they were good, but I listen to Tone Talk quite a bit and Dave F likes his Heyboer.
Ive owned two Friedman heads with Heyboer trannys.
They sound great and are priced well comparatively.

Ive never used Mercury. Well, I have a Mercury choke in my JTM45.
From my experience, the Mercury products are pricey. More than Heyboer.
Have read they were good, but I listen to Tone Talk quite a bit and Dave F likes his Heyboer.
Ive owned two Friedman heads with Heyboer trannys.
They sound great and are priced well comparatively.
What is the price difference? If I was bulding smth, I would go for a US made MM, even if it costed couple hundreds more.

But I have zero knowledge and talent, so not a very worthy opinion in this field.

What is the price difference? If I was bulding smth, I would go for a US made MM, even if it costed couple hundreds more.

But I have zero knowledge and talent, so not a very worthy opinion in this field.
I do not know the price difference off hand, but Google is your friend in this instance.
I've built three amps with Heyboer, zero issues and sound great.
Owned two Friedman heads with Heyboers.
I think they sound great.
Great enough I dont feel the need to try others, stick with what works!

Didn't Mercury close shop?
Is Classic Tone still around?

Hammond makes great stuff from reviews I have read.

Build an amp and use Mercury, would love to hear clips...

I do not know the price difference off hand, but Google is your friend in this instance.
I've built three amps with Heyboer, zero issues and sound great.
Owned two Friedman heads with Heyboers.
I think they sound great.
Great enough I dont feel the need to try others, stick with what works!

Didn't Mercury close shop?
Is Classic Tone still around?

Hammond makes great stuff from reviews I have read.

Build an amp and use Mercury, would love to hear clips...

Sorry I replied to you, it was meant to be for OP.

To calculate price difference I need to know particular models of transformers to google.

And as I said, I have zero knowledge on the topic. If I could afford building, I would try.

But not anytime soon with our wages and shipping distances and of course not before the line of some assembled amps first :)

Sorry I replied to you, it was meant to be for OP.

To calculate price difference I need to know particular models of transformers to google.

And as I said, I have zero knowledge on the topic. If I could afford building, I would try.

But not anytime soon with our wages and shipping distances and of course not before the line of some assembled amps first :)
No apology necessary!

Does anyone have an picture of the screen resistors and what value they should be replaced with when installing a choke in a peavey 5150 or any extra suggestions on the processes?

Does anyone have an picture of the screen resistors and what value they should be replaced with when installing a choke in a peavey 5150 or any extra suggestions on the processes?
Stock screen grid resistors are 100 ohms.
When replacing large screen drop resistor with choke, change screen grids to 470 ohms, as choke will drop way less voltage than stock 400 ohm dropping resistor.
You will have to pull the tube board to swap screen grid resistors. Older amps have tube board riveted to chassis. Drill out rivets and replace with bolts/ nuts
Use minimum 5 watt cement box or metal oxide resistors. Originals are 5 watt cement box type.
Use metal oxide if available in that value and size.
Also, recommend to rewire the standby switch when installing choke in a 5150. Not as big a deal as it sounds. See link:
https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/choke-troubleshooting-1

Stock screen grid resistors are 100 ohms.
When replacing large screen drop resistor with choke, change screen grids to 470 ohms, as choke will drop way less voltage than stock 400 ohm dropping resistor.
You will have to pull the tube board to swap screen grid resistors. Older amps have tube board riveted to chassis. Drill out rivets and replace with bolts/ nuts
Use minimum 5 watt cement box or metal oxide resistors. Originals are 5 watt cement box type.
Use metal oxide if available in that value and size.
Also, recommend to rewire the standby switch when installing choke in a 5150. Not as big a deal as it sounds. See link:
https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/choke-troubleshooting-1
Killer thank you very much

Just want to echo what’s already said.

Use larger screen grid resistors when installing a choke in a 5150/5150 II. I used 1K ceramic 5W. Your tubes will thank you in terms of lifespan and lessened severity of wear as bias drifts occur with tube age.

I use Mercury Magnetics exclusively for my builds. Amps just sound more pissed off for high gain. Heyboer, Marstran (Marshall spec heyboers for Marshall’s), Hammond, and Pacific transformers are all contenders.

I have limited experience with guitar amp transformers having only built about a dozen amps. But one thing I hate in my builds is audible power transformer vibration. Not thru the speakers, just physical vibration such that you can hear it. I think it varies from transformer to transformer. I’ve had quiet Hammond/Heyboer/Merren but I’ve also had noisy ones from all three of those brands. I ended up replacing all of them with Mercury and all are silent now.

Also, my favorite amp and my best sounding build is a ‘69 Superlead clone with Mercury iron.

I know that’s all just anecdotal evidence from a small sample size.

Regarding the extra cost:
It only hurts once
It’s not that much money in the grand scheme
The whole point of this effort is a search for the best*

* - best is subjective

The vibration you speak of is the oscillation of the steel alloy plates physically vibrating between one another. It’s the same effect of large distribution oil bath power transformers. Tight tolerances reduce or eliminate the effect.

Back