Ampeg VH - 140 C in a pedal ?

There’s a few of them out there, not sure I’ve heard any that sound anything like the amp though. I know I’ve tried running the preamp of mine into tube power amps and it’s just not the same, the amp loses it’s cold brutalness

There’s a few of them out there, not sure I’ve heard any that sound anything like the amp though. I know I’ve tried running the preamp of mine into tube power amps and it’s just not the same, the amp loses it’s cold brutalness
interesting ........ any names of the pedals you're referring to so I can check them out ?

The cold brutalness is key. It’s such an unrefined, cold and vicious tone, nothing pretty about It. Totally different animal than a tube amp, but it’s own thing and equally cool and fun. I’m hitting mine with a Fortin TS9 and a Gup Tech Quebec in the loop And it’s horrifying. It doesn’t need the QB for added low end since the amp has more than enough, but the presence function is huge since the amp doesn’t have it.

The cold brutalness is key. It’s such an unrefined, cold and vicious tone, nothing pretty about It. Totally different animal than a tube amp, but it’s own thing and equally cool and fun. I’m hitting mine with a Fortin TS9 and a Gup Tech Quebec in the loop And it’s horrifying. It doesn’t need the QB for added low end since the amp has more than enough, but the presence function is huge since the amp doesn’t have it.
I'm going to spend some time with the schematic ....... I know that just a few years ago the tech was not available to bring the voltage to where it needs to be to match the actual amp with out a specific power cord . And that specific power cord would fry anything on your board if you put it in the wrong pedal ..... now the tech is here ..... to run it off of a regular 9volt DC supply that I can fit into a pedal .... at least that's what I'm reading ...

I might take a shot at it ....

Almost all the Vh140c pedals I have seen over the years strictly say they are made for use in front of the amp, not in the Fx loop. I owned numerous vh140c's and still would if they all didn't fail on me. Always on a lookout for a ss150 head.

Almost all the Vh140c pedals I have seen over the years strictly say they are made for use in front of the amp, not in the Fx loop. I owned numerous vh140c's and still would if they all didn't fail on me. Always on a lookout for a ss150 head.
What failed, the MOSFET?

I use my SNK in the loop. Their website says that its fine to use it anyway you want too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240204_110049_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240204_110049_Firefox.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 19

yeah, where as most my tube amps i can get to sound somewhat similar there is nothing that sounds like the vh140c. ive had mine for 20+ years now, back in the day here all the hardcore and death metal bands played this tiny little shit hole bar with a room on the side, the vh140c's always sounded best to me so thats what i got. even now many amps later if im going for the horrifyingly brutal thing its still my go to amp. this older clip i did i think captures it pretty well, i dont hear any of the pedals sounding anything like this

https://app.box.com/embed/s/mztkw5iqcsdzlkhunnub3bi7ziguonxq

I'm going to spend some time with the schematic ....... I know that just a few years ago the tech was not available to bring the voltage to where it needs to be to match the actual amp with out a specific power cord . And that specific power cord would fry anything on your board if you put it in the wrong pedal ..... now the tech is here ..... to run it off of a regular 9volt DC supply that I can fit into a pedal .... at least that's what I'm reading ...

I might take a shot at it ....

yeah, i dont know anything about the technical side but it definitely sounds better with its own power amps rather than running it out to something else

yeah, where as most my tube amps i can get to sound somewhat similar there is nothing that sounds like the vh140c. ive had mine for 20+ years now, back in the day here all the hardcore and death metal bands played this tiny little shit hole bar with a room on the side, the vh140c's always sounded best to me so thats what i got. even now many amps later if im going for the horrifyingly brutal thing its still my go to amp. this older clip i did i think captures it pretty well, i dont hear any of the pedals sounding anything like this

https://app.box.com/embed/s/mztkw5iqcsdzlkhunnub3bi7ziguonxq
Yeah, that’s the sound. Cold, thick and menacing. 🤘

Back