Another Power conditioner thread/ school me

Sequencers are kind o pointless for a guitar application. A furman PL-8 or similar would be adequate, unless you're operating in wired voltage conditions, then get a regulator.

mboogman":2is2tutd said:
Sequencers are kind o pointless for a guitar application. A furman PL-8 or similar would be adequate, unless you're operating in wired voltage conditions, then get a regulator.

:thumbsup:

Get a regulator, all others are glorified power strips. As a gigging musician you never know if your going into a situation with a large fluctuation in voltage (especially outdoor gigs). I would recommend getting a Furman AR-15 (discontinued) or AR-1215. I see no reason to buy one of these new.

I recently bought an AR-1215 regulator and am very pleased with it. I suspected I was having voltage issues (amp sounding bad and nova system acting goofy)...the regulator fixed all those problems. We had a space heater on the other night during band rehearsal and the incoming voltage said 110 but everything still sounded great.

My only complaint is it's heavy.

ART makes a nice regulator too with a numeric voltage display but it's deeper than the furman and wouldn't fit in my shallow rack.

If you really need a regulator, and if you are gigging you probably do, I agree with the others and say get one but if all you need is some filtering to help with a little noise then the furman units will work. I've also had really good luck with the tripp lite isobar ultras. For regulators I've used the tripp lite lc series as well as the furman units already mentioned.

Most 'conditioners' really are either just power strips or power strips with some filtering in them to help keep the noise down. These protect for some over voltage by just shunting to ground but do nothing for under voltage and some have filters while others don't. Real regulators or conditioners that can correct over and under voltage cases as well as 'clean' your power will have a big fat transformer in them. Basically if it's not heavy it isn't one - and if it is heavy it may or may not be one. You can also use an online ups because the ac gets rectified to dc to charge the battery and you are running 100% of the time from the battery which gets inverted back to ac. Most cheap consumer ups units are line interactive or standby units and only take over the circuit when the voltage falls below a certain value. Some digital equipment is also sensitive to what signal a ups puts out as well because some put our true sine waves and some put out stepped sine waves, this can play hell with some timing circuits for instance.

nevusofota":2v5fm1r1 said:
Get a regulator, all others are glorified power strips. As a gigging musician you never know if your going into a situation with a large fluctuation in voltage (especially outdoor gigs). I would recommend getting a Furman AR-15 (discontinued) or AR-1215. I see no reason to buy one of these new.
This.

The lower priced Furmans don't do anything to help in case of a drop or jump in voltage. They help in case of a huge spike, but 135v isn't a spike, and I've played gigs where the voltage was that high. I'd hate to think what that could do to vintage gear. Voltage too low is also not good.

I've got two 1215s and they are workhorses. Highly recommended.

I wont be gigging for the foreseeable future, so for now my goal is to just help with some noise. I just need to contemplate if I am better off getting a 1215 which will have what I need forever instead of possibly needing to get another furman in the future if I just get a conditioner now.

mrkmas":2vcwj7yf said:
I wont be gigging for the foreseeable future, so for now my goal is to just help with some noise. I just need to contemplate if I am better off getting a 1215 which will have what I need forever instead of possibly needing to get another furman in the future if I just get a conditioner now.
get a used Furman regulator, its about the same cost as a new Furman conditioner. Problem solved.

If you want power conditioning and regulation then look at the Tripp Lite LC 2400. Handles input of voltages of 90 to 140, complete emi/rfi noise filtering, output 2400W, 120v @ 20A.

Why do I say this, well the Furman's are expensive in comparison; over $450, to the LC 2400; sub $200. In addition the Furman has a smaller operating voltage range, lower amp rating and I cant find any reference to output wattage but remember something around 1800 for some odd reason. Tripp Lite has one feature I like very much, a 2 year warranty and a lifetime coverage of $25k. All you have to do is keep the dust, dirt and other debris out of it; ie: blow it out once and while. Keep every receipt for all your gear. Along with the PL-8 that mboogman mentioned above, I use myself. The Tripp Lite sits behind the rig on the floor and the Furman in the rack. This way you have filtering covered both in the rack and from your source, and you have regulation and conditioning all in the same package it would cost for the 1215. Oh and dont forget that nice $25k policy covering most everything if it does.

Tripp Lite also has the LCR2400, which is rackable, but more expensive and huge (3u). There's also the Art PR8. Both are cheaper than the Furman regulator.

cardinal":274hfyxc said:
Tripp Lite also has the LCR2400, which is rackable, but more expensive and huge (3u). There's also the Art PR8. Both are cheaper than the Furman regulator.

That's why I did not bother mentioning it... 3 rack spaces is fine when you have a server room environment and your racks are 6' to 8' high but just way to much real-estate in a music rig I would think.

This one is quite cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Furman-AR-12115 ... 41609e63d5

If you look at what some of them went for in the completed listings of ebay you'll see they are getting around $200 used.

The operating voltage is about the same as the other brand stated above (97-141). All this means is that if the operating voltage drops below 97, power going to your equipment will safely shut down, it doesn't mean that your equipment will be exposed to extreme voltage fluctuation.

Back