Any amp techs in here?

Matt300ZXT

I got this "new" Morris in the other day that the owner bought in 2022 and apparently didn't use it. It still had the blue plastic around the amp and the original box.

Anywho, aside from just basic hissing you get from amps when not playing, the 3 position bright switch on the clean channel is giving me some issues and there is popping coming through the speakers sometimes when adjusting either the master or gain knob on the clean/crunch channel from zero to whatever level I want to set it at.

I emailed Glen Morris and he said it's a ground loop between the channels from the video I sent him, which I will link below. He suggested I try swapping the first 2 12ax7s around, he didn't mention the 12at7s, so I left them alone. I swapped all 3 12ax7s out with some old Hafler tubes I had laying around from a Triple Giant I had a long time ago. It kinda cleaned it up a tiny bit, but not completely. There is still some extra buzzing on the middle setting of the bright switch that makes the setting unusable unless you have the amp cranked. It seems to be dependent on a certain "sweet spot" in the master knob, like if you had it around the 2 setting if it were labeled like a Marshall amp with 0-10. The lead channel is just fine, but that clean channel is giving me issues.

Anyways, here is the video, take a peek and see if you guys have any ideas. I'm currently waiting on Glen to get back to me.

Ok nevermind lol I was swapping out the phase inverter tube instead of the ACTUAL first position tube like Glen suggested. Once I figured that out and swapped the first tube over the issue cleared right up. Now to hop on the ol' interwebs and order another 12ax7 and hope it shows up and ain't a dud.

Does this amp have an input grid stopper on V1a? It would look like a resistor soldered right onto pin 2. Or possibly a resistor anywhere between the input jack and pin 2. Not necessarily right on the socket. I know you got the issue fixed with a new tube. But I'm curious.

Back