Any DI boxes that output line level?

Spaceboy

I know of the Creation Audio MW1, Radial HDI, and Avalon U5, but those are all pricy with features I don’t particularly need. I want an instrument DI that can output line level instead of mic. But maybe that’s not much different than buying a standalone preamp that’s has a built in DI? I’m trying to avoid as much coloration as possible to get a direct signal into a line level only interface.

I guess yep, you're really just looking for a mic-pre with an instrument input. Guitar and DI signals need serious gain somewhere.

Decide on you budget then go looking, there's dozens of options at every price point.

I was honestly hoping to find something fairly cheap compared to the gear I listed. I've been using a Countryman DI for years, but obviously that only works into mic pres. I'll have to find a cheap mic pre that has a good clean Hi-Z input then. I guess my budget may be 400 at most, otherwise I think I'd rather just stretch it and snag the MW1 since it's been highly praised for many years.

I was honestly hoping to find something fairly cheap compared to the gear I listed. I've been using a Countryman DI for years, but obviously that only works into mic pres. I'll have to find a cheap mic pre that has a good clean Hi-Z input then. I guess my budget may be 400 at most, otherwise I think I'd rather just stretch it and snag the MW1 since it's been highly praised for many years.
Countryman make great DI's. The problem is that if you get a lower end mic pre, the DI on in probably won't be anywhere near as good the Countryman. If you still have it then really just need a good mic pre - there's no dodging that bullet!

Back