Any of dudes use doubler pedals? TC Mimiq?

Spaceboy

I might find myself without a second guitarist soon so I’m considering going back to a stereo setup. Have any of you dudes used any of those doubler pedals that shift one of the signals a few milliseconds? There’s the TC Mimiq, Strymon Deco, and there’s a Keeley pedal out there that I can’t remember the name of. Is this a rabbit hole worth going down? What pedals are great for doing this? Do you ever get phase issues or anything like that? Just looking for suggestions or comments from anybody who’s tried it before I buy some potentially useless pedal.

The Mimiq could be cool but carrying a second amp and cab to replace your other dude with a pedal is a lot of gear and effort for something you won't actually get to experience yourself. If the other rig is on the opposite side of the stage from you anyway. If you run the two rigs on your side of the stage its mostly going to reduce clarity in a live context depending on how dramatic you make the effect. Was the other guitarist just playing unison parts to you already? If not then the Mimiq is going to change what you sound like but its not going to fill out the mix like having that other bandmate playing their own parts.

Potential for phase issues will come up if the second amp is out of phase naturally, or if you're switching channels on either/both rigs, which will often flip phase because of differing numbers of gain stages. You could get away with running a line out from your amp into the pedal and then a wet power amp if you want to go that route while dealing with channel switching.

I tour with a four-cab rig and guitar/bass heads so I'm used to dealing with a lot of stuff but its a huge hassle and if you just want to sound bigger then I'd recommend playing with two cabs and being done with it. Maybe run a cab on the bass player's side of the stage to spread things out. You might honestly like the rawness and stripped back quality of playing your music without a second guitar player.

I have a Mimiq and I think it is a bad ass pedal. I don't gig though. Not sure it can actually 'replace' a second guitarist. RaceU4her has one and has some really kick ass 'doubled' tracks and opinions.

Bdqzr12l.jpg

Here is the thread and the clip that turned me onto the TC Mimiq. Not saying the other pedals can't do that or that it will replace your other guitarist but if you are just looking to fill out the space better this will do the trick.

RaceU4her
https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/mc-mig100-clip.217477/

Even with my two amps/cabs sitting next to each other - I can hear the sound being spread out further than normal due to the way the algorithm in this pedal tricks your brain.

like this:

Here is the thread and the clip that turned me onto the TC Mimiq. Not saying the other pedals can't do that or that it will replace your other guitarist but if you are just looking to fill out the space better this will do the trick.

RaceU4her

Even with my two amps/cabs sitting next to each other - I can hear the sound being spread out further than normal due to the way the algorithm in this pedal tricks your brain.

like this:

i dont think i used the mimiq on that one if i only used the cameron, this one i definitely used two amps though, you can hear the stereo spread when it kicks on

https://app.box.com/embed/s/u375gwjixecwx1sbwqqnpirt4gvefypl

i had one clip i cant find now that was a real L/R track with two different amps and another that was a single track with the mimiq going to two amps and you couldnt tell a difference, ill have to make another one

I'm on the other side of the fence, I tried the Mimiq a couple times & didn't care for it in the context of high gain. It was just a little processed / off to me. I kept looking at found exactly what I was looking for with the Lexicon MPX1 stereo effects rack. Ultimately though, I realized that my band needs guitars dry & tight to get our sound so I have the MPX1 for sale in the classifieds. It's a killer piece of kit of you want any form of wetness.

I'm on the other side of the fence, I tried the Mimiq a couple times & didn't care for it in the context of high gain. It was just a little processed / off to me. I kept looking at found exactly what I was looking for with the Lexicon MPX1 stereo effects rack. Ultimately though, I realized that my band needs guitars dry & tight to get our sound so I have the MPX1 for sale in the classifieds. It's a killer piece of kit of you want any form of wetness.
Agreed. I hated the Mimiq honestly. I remember it sounding very fake and colored things in a bad way as those series of pedals tended to do. I never really cared for fx much myself. I like sometimes a good spring reverb like my '70's Furman Spring Reverb (it's gorgeous, even better than the reverb on my '64 Vibroverb) to make my clean tone more lush sometimes, but I view these things more like the icing on the cake or like a girl subtly using make up to make herself prettier. I hate when it's used obnoxiously like some examples in EVH or even sadly in some gear demos of all places

I love wet tones but I can’t dig the Mimic. I haven’t found any settings that are pleasing to me. I’ve kept it on my board though, unpowered, because it is my stereo outs.

A player’s perception of the Mimiq will change based on where it sits in the chain. Generally, the earlier the better.

If you place it in the loop of an amp, routing one of the outputs into another amp’s loop return to use as a slave for the original preamp, it’s going to sound much more artificial and processed than if you route the Mimiq’s stereo outs into the inputs of two separate amps.

If you plan on using it with only a single amp to simulate multiple guitar lines within that one amp… you might want to just consider another pedal. It’s not going to sound very convincing like that.

RaceU4her

like this:

Extra points for kicking it old school w ADIDAS

A player’s perception of the Mimiq will change based on where it sits in the chain. Generally, the earlier the better.

If you place it in the loop of an amp, routing one of the outputs into another amp’s loop return to use as a slave for the original preamp, it’s going to sound much more artificial and processed than if you route the Mimiq’s stereo outs into the inputs of two separate amps.

If you plan on using it with only a single amp to simulate multiple guitar lines within that one amp… you might want to just consider another pedal. It’s not going to sound very convincing like that.

I was using it as the last pedal on my pedalboard going into 2 clean amps. Getting my dirty tones from pedals.

i dont understand running it into the loop or the last pedal in line?? everyone seems to use this thing in some different way.

heres an A/B i just did, two amps panned 100% left/right, one is a real double track and the other is a single take with the mimiq. i dont think in a mix id be able to tell between the real double and the "mimiq'd" take??

https://app.box.com/embed/s/523be25z576ucbh5zaijqbfjyjch5qa4
I’m only listening on some shitty Bluetooth airbuds at work but this sound great. I definitely wouldn’t be able to pick one from the other. What’s the amp?

The Mimiq could be cool but carrying a second amp and cab to replace your other dude with a pedal is a lot of gear and effort for something you won't actually get to experience yourself. If the other rig is on the opposite side of the stage from you anyway. If you run the two rigs on your side of the stage its mostly going to reduce clarity in a live context depending on how dramatic you make the effect. Was the other guitarist just playing unison parts to you already? If not then the Mimiq is going to change what you sound like but its not going to fill out the mix like having that other bandmate playing their own parts.

Potential for phase issues will come up if the second amp is out of phase naturally, or if you're switching channels on either/both rigs, which will often flip phase because of differing numbers of gain stages. You could get away with running a line out from your amp into the pedal and then a wet power amp if you want to go that route while dealing with channel switching.

I tour with a four-cab rig and guitar/bass heads so I'm used to dealing with a lot of stuff but its a huge hassle and if you just want to sound bigger then I'd recommend playing with two cabs and being done with it. Maybe run a cab on the bass player's side of the stage to spread things out. You might honestly like the rawness and stripped back quality of playing your music without a second guitar player.
I toured with a 2 head/4 cab setup at one point as a 3-piece band and it was a huge pain in the ass. So I know what to expect, but I’m not going to that extent again.

So at the moment I play my amp but my pedalboard has a BluGuitar on it, just for backup purposes mostly. Or sometimes I’m being too lazy to haul a real amp from one practice space to another. I’m thinking about using it for the B amp to fill out the sound a bit when we lose the other guitarist. We’re a sort of punk band, there are some simple leads but nothing flashy, a lot of the time we’re playing the same thing so it won’t be a major hurdle as far as the bands sound. I can possibly switch from a 4x12 to a couple vertical 2x12s, one for the head, one for the BluGuitar, and not be too much more to setup than what we’re already doing. I only have a wireless and a rarely used overdrive before the amp, reverb and delay in the loop which have stereo in/outs. I’m a fairly dry guy. Use the Mimiq just to thicken things up before the amp inputs after the overdrive. Since the BluGuitar stays on the board, cabling really wouldn’t be that bad either.

That would simplify things. I think the risk you run is it sounding like you have chorus on your guitar in a punk situation.

I toured with a 2 head/4 cab setup at one point as a 3-piece band and it was a huge pain in the ass. So I know what to expect, but I’m not going to that extent again.

So at the moment I play my amp but my pedalboard has a BluGuitar on it, just for backup purposes mostly. Or sometimes I’m being too lazy to haul a real amp from one practice space to another. I’m thinking about using it for the B amp to fill out the sound a bit when we lose the other guitarist. We’re a sort of punk band, there are some simple leads but nothing flashy, a lot of the time we’re playing the same thing so it won’t be a major hurdle as far as the bands sound. I can possibly switch from a 4x12 to a couple vertical 2x12s, one for the head, one for the BluGuitar, and not be too much more to setup than what we’re already doing. I only have a wireless and a rarely used overdrive before the amp, reverb and delay in the loop which have stereo in/outs. I’m a fairly dry guy. Use the Mimiq just to thicken things up before the amp inputs after the overdrive. Since the BluGuitar stays on the board, cabling really wouldn’t be that bad either.

This is how I would do it accept putting it after the over drives, just put it first in your chain. I would have killed for one of these back when I was the only guitar player

Back