Any users of the E 530 pre?

rsm

How are the cleans and crunch/lower-gain/hard-rock/old metal tones on this? Any links or clips that show these? (I'm not concerned about the high-gain as I'm sure that works fine).

What are you using to switch channels?

I've owned many Engl amps (including E530) and have never been a fan of the crunch channels
They sound like the lead channels with less gain, with the same type of modern voicing.

rsm":1nyfbu2x said:
new E 530 ordered. should ship tomorrow. :yes:
You probably could of gotten one used. They are for sale all the time if you check around, a lot of times barely used. Good luck though, hope you like it! I have no experience with it, but would love to get a 580.

thanks. I had a coupon, got it almost matched, so saved some money on new plus free shipping, peace of mind,... price difference was worth it IMO.

First, second impressions...so far

I received my new E530 this past Monday; unfortunately, I was out of town until late Tuesday night. I set up the rack Tuesday night, but didn't get to play it until last night. Spent time checking all the control ranges and the different option button combinations...so far so good.

Today, I set all the controls at noon to get a neutral starting point and ran through all the switch/mode combinations. I used my BC Rich Stealth - Schuldiner tribute, the recording outs of the E530 direct to my Bose L1 Model II set to utility flat (FRFR)...

All controls at noon, various switch/mode combinations:

I can get great clean, bite/crunch to 70s hard rock tones from the clean channel, I like the bright button on. From the lead channel I get two levels of distortion/hi gain (one with the gain button set to low, another with the gain button set to hi) then the contour on/off.

I plan to get a 4 button footswitch that will let me switch between clean/lead, bright on/off, lo/hi gain, contour on/off. I found footswitches on ebay from SwitchDoctor designed for Engl amps/preamps. Anyone have experience with these?

This thing sounds so good as is. The real test will be tonight with my Rickenbackers.

This does not help my GAS for an Engl E850/100 power amp (and Engl cabs) or the Two Notes Torpedo CAB. :no: :doh:

Oh, and with the Stealth...my fav tone/gain/volume settings are all at noon! I've never set an amp this way before...it is dialed in perfect tone and gain at noon. I tried many tone variations, and they all sound good...I could not make this preamp sound bad (other than my playing) which I can often do.

This preamp and the nooned settings are just blowing my mind. :D

E850/100 is a bit pricey though. I don't need an Engl half stack. but I am GASing for one.

^ If you don't mind buying used you can pick up a vht/fryette 2/50/2 or 2/90/2 used from ~$750-1000. I originally used my 530 through a crown poweramp but wanted to try tubes, when I first ran it through the 2/90/2 I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

I originally considered the engl power amps too but they just were too expensive and not readily available to try out or buy used.

I pre-ordered a Two Notes Torpedo CAB so I can run my rigs direct to FRFR instead.

still have GAS for the Engl E850/100 but can't justify the price...at least for now!

I'm running my e530 with an Axe-FX standard and a Mesa 2:90. Love the sounds for super high gain. The dirt on the clean channel is really nice.. The Low gain on the second channel sounds exactly like the high gain but with less gain.

I really want to try engl power amps but like wulf said.. price

Never tried a 530 but it sounds from demos like Classic Rock and clean Fender Tones and warm Plexi and medium gain are not it's strength.

The 570 in Vintage Mode- might do this and more- one demo sounded very promising- any thoughts?

robertkoa":3lydtjwi said:
Never tried a 530 but it sounds from demos like Classic Rock and clean Fender Tones and warm Plexi and medium gain are not it's strength.

The 570 in Vintage Mode- might do this and more- one demo sounded very promising- any thoughts?

The 570 is definitely more versatile, but the 530 delivers what I want. I can get pristine clean, od and crunch tones from it (high gain saturation is a given) but these are modern sounding, not vintage. I wanted more modern tones from this rig which is why I didn't sring for the 570. I have a Triaxis, JMP-1 and ADA MP-2 if I want to go back in time to more vintage tones, anything older than that I have my Vox amps.

I also purchased the E850/100 power amp and 2 2x12 cabs...this rig is righteous in all ways for me except portability. Definitely gets me what I wanted and more.

thanks. yes, I got the 4-switch from Switchdoctor; works great. now I need one (2-switch, one trs plug) for the power amp. :)

I'm running this unit with a mesa power 2:90 and a Fractal axe effect ultra for the effects. Good sound and quality for the price, i get this unit for 500$... The computer and headphone outputs are disappointing. Use it live...

I have one, had it for 6 months or so. I've been running it through a BBE 462, to an oldschool Rocktron Velocity 300, on out to a Mesa Halfback 4x12 cab. Been running a Line 6 M 13 in front for reverb and delays. I just picked up a Randall Warhead 2x15 cab this weekend and it sounds incredible. It sounded real good with just the Mesa, but with the Warhead it's crazy how much better it sounds. The high gain channel is kinda noisy, but I haven't replaced the tubes since I got it. Been meaning to get to it. Also, I had an extra footswitch from a 5150 I sold that to my surprised works with it. I use it to switch channels and kick the high gain in and out.

Back