Anybody buy or play the new PRS SE 594's??

napalmdeath

I'm considering picking one up. I love the S2 594's neck profile, (super wide, and beefy). I just don't think the S2's are worth the hassle since the pickups and tuners suck.. Nice, but I don't see a value..

But, for $829 Street, same neck profile, same shitty tuners and shitty pickups as the S2 makes for a great mod donor. Might even get lucky and find a 10-15% off deal. I really like this Plain Jane, no frills solid mahogany Standard. Plus, a decent gigbag.. Some locking tuners and a pair of good pickups, What the heck?.. You could deck one out under $1000...🤔

ediapthxtolrpmobh8cu.jpg

I am not really a PRS guy, but played the S2 version at Sweetwater and put the SE version on reminder for when they become available.

My only concern is how great the reviews have been. Is that marketing muscle, or legit raves? Still think that I am buying one though.

I am not really a PRS guy, but played the S2 version at Sweetwater and put the SE version on reminder for when they become available.

My only concern is how great the reviews have been. Is that marketing muscle, or legit raves? Still think that I am buying one though.
You didn't really see many complaints prior, even though the Korean days. I know World Music made nice SE's. These have way better specs, for me anyway. The neck profile and binding, along with the 2 piece bridge are a nice touch.

I've seen one dude on TGP say his came with fret sprout, but most of us probably know that's generally due to conditions the guitar has been exposed to - generally anyway, I mean they COULD'VE forked the frets from the get go, I guess lol. He also showed a rather shocking picture of the wiring job. It was pure shit, tbh.

If you're going to rip out the electronics, tuners and nut then you would most likely end up with a great guitar.

One of the few lines I’d have no problem buying without playing first. I think I’ve played maybe 2 shitty SE’s and they were used, sitting at Scam Cash or GC for a few years getting the high schooler treatment. I wish I liked their neck profiles more and they didn’t put the fucking selector switches where they do. I had a GREAT semi-hollow SE that I played the shit out of for the better part of a year but the second I put my partscasters together, I could no longer gel with the neck on the SE. Fretwork was immaculate, everything about the build/finish of that guitar was flawless. I sold it to my best friend in case I ever change my stance on it, but that selector switch down there….I switch too much mid-solo to deal with that nonsense.

EF46D630-9D06-4E17-AA1F-596B998EA82B.jpeg

I'm not a PRS guy but if I'm checking out an amp or pedal etc. at a store they are the first guitar I'll grab because they are consistently that good.

i've got my order in on the DGT SE. still waiting....anyone who's played this or the 594 say that bang-for-the-buck is ridiculous

I had a Core 594 and just couldn't handle the neck carve on it. Way too chunky for me. Luckily, I bought it from GC used so I had the return window and took it back. It's the only PRS I've ever played that I couldn't get along with from a neck carve perspective. That was just a personal preference thing for me though, and if it hadn't been for the neck I would have kept it for sure. I haven't tried any of the SE/S2 lines yet though, but I hear really good things about them.

I want one of those red SE 594 standards too... just have way too many right now to even consider it.

I'm not a PRS guy but if I'm checking out an amp or pedal etc. at a store they are the first guitar I'll grab because they are consistently that good.

This is exactly why I don’t grab a PRS, because I don’t play one and whatever I demo will be a wash.
So I either bring my own or act too cool for what they have…LOL!

I'm going to be that guy, and I'll say I haven't had good experience with PRS SE.

I have only had Korean ones. I have not tried the new Cort Indo-made ones. So take this as a grain of salt.

I've had 5. Out of those, only one has been like objectively good. It was a Mike Mushok SE baritone. Great guitar. No flaws. Sounded great. Played great. No complaints.

46520716_10156936402255746_3654731145548922880_n.jpg

The worst was when I had a Paul Allender which I struggled with. It had a FANTASTIC neck (that I'm sure you wouldn't dig because it was the wide-thin with a flatter fretboard than they usually use), but it had a mayor QC issue. It had a hump on the fretboard towards the last few frets. Like from 20-24. That made the action have to be mile-high, or else, anything played in the lower frets choke out bad. I did buy the guitar used, so I was stuck with it, but no way that kind of defect would have been developed by mistreating the guitar. It was evidently a factory defect. I could've told the seller about it, but I liked the neck profile so much, and at that point, it was the only SE that didn't have an underwhelmingly figured top thaht I owned, that I decided to suck it up and bring it to my tech. He had to remove frets 20-24, sand the hump down, and refret those frets. It wasn't cheap, but in the end, I loved the guitar, so to me, it was worth it. But be wary, many people would not have been cool with that. It did sound brighter than what I usually like, but oh, well.

123333962_10159047410800746_8077248772899032530_n.jpg

I also had other 3. Out of the ones that had fancy veneers, all of them were below average to very poorly figured tops. None of them sounded particularly good.

In fact, the worst should've been a Nick Catanese. That one looked OK. Didn't have the worst-looking top, but not the best either. I always struggled with the neck (Wide Fat), but that's just personal preference. Keep in mind, though, the Wide Fat does not feel like a Gibson 50's. It's shaped differently, and it has a rounder fretboard. Anyway, what was worse about that guitar is it sounded so thin and anemic. I must've tried like a thousand pickups in it, and all of them in that guitar were annoyingly lower output than in other guitars, and very bright, for some reason. The only one that made it sound OK was the EMG 85. That guitar was a turd sound-wise.

109855580_10158764680045746_2905694113905004240_n.jpg

I also had a few that were very well below average. One that comes to mind was a Korina Singlecut. That one was freakishly light, but it sounded better. Better, not good, though. Kinda bright and thin, but very loud acoustically, unlike the Nick Catanse. What was worse about that is it had a multi-piece body that wasn't matched well at all and looked cheap as hell. Same awkard Wide Fat neck profile, but this one had tiny small frets.

14956616_10154704071785746_1901111562436673032_n.jpg

I also an Singlecut SE that I didn't keep photos of. Like I said, below average. Thin or dead-sounding with an underwhemlingly figured top.

Also, the tuners they put in those are absolute garbage. Expect to have to change them out. I've heard some people have good experiences with them. The ones in my Mushok actually held tune fine. But all of the others didn't at all. I always changed them out for Grovers or Gotohs. The nuts were terrible as well, and they're cut for fucking 9's. Like literally, you can't even fit 11's in them. 10's you can, but expect binding.

For a company that profess the importance of one piece bodies and necks and hardware made of the right alloys, they certainly seem to be cutting every corner they can to bring these to a pricepoint. Which in the end, isn't even that cheap compared to like Squier Classic Vibe, which is around the same level of quality I'd come to expect from PRS SE.

Do not mistake me as some kind of snob. I've had LTD's that cost around the same, but came with good pickups and tuners, didn't have any major defects, and sounded much better.

So that's been my experience with PRS SE. Sorry to be the party pooper. :(

Last edited:
Well, I got one for $749 shipped from a mom and pop that's just a county away. I asked detailed questions, and they actually had their luthier respond. He said he does a thorough inspection, including frets, leveling, full set up, etc. He raved how nice it is.. Easy to return, but I'll be gutting it and upgrading the tuners electronics and pickups. For $749, WTF.. Grabbed this one.
orclrqo6ibrlstdamivr.jpg

I'm going to be that guy, and I'll say I haven't had good experience with PRS SE.

I have only had Korean ones. I have not tried the new Cort Indo-made ones. So take this as a grain of salt.

I've had 5. Out of those, only one has been like objectively good. It was a Mike Mushok SE baritone. Great guitar. No flaws. Sounded great. Played great. No complaints.

46520716_10156936402255746_3654731145548922880_n.jpg

The worst was when I had a Paul Allender which I struggled with. It had a FANTASTIC neck (that I'm sure you wouldn't dig because it was the wide-thin with a flatter fretboard than they usually use), but it had a mayor QC issue. It had a hump on the fretboard towards the last few frets. Like from 20-24. That made the action have to be mile-high, or else, anything played in the lower frets choke out bad. I did buy the guitar used, so I was stuck with it, but no way that kind of defect would have been developed by mistreating the guitar. It was evidently a factory defect. I could've told the seller about it, but I liked the neck profile so much, and at that point, it was the only SE that didn't have an underwhelmingly figured top thaht I owned, that I decided to suck it up and bring it to my tech. He had to remove frets 20-24, sand the hump down, and refret those frets. It wasn't cheap, but in the end, I loved the guitar, so to me, it was worth it. But be wary, many people would not have been cool with that. It did sound brighter than what I usually like, but oh, well.

123333962_10159047410800746_8077248772899032530_n.jpg

I also had other 3. Out of the ones that had fancy veneers, all of them were below average to very poorly figured tops. None of them sounded particularly good.

In fact, the worst should've been a Nick Catanese. That one looked OK. Didn't have the worst-looking top, but not the best either. I always struggled with the neck (Wide Fat), but that's just personal preference. Keep in mind, though, the Wide Fat does not feel like a Gibson 50's. It's shaped differently, and it has a rounder fretboard. Anyway, what was worse about that guitar is it sounded so thin and anemic. I must've tried like a thousand pickups in it, and all of them in that guitar were annoyingly lower output than in other guitars, and very bright, for some reason. The only one that made it sound OK was the EMG 85. That guitar was a turd sound-wise.

109855580_10158764680045746_2905694113905004240_n.jpg

I also had a few that were very well below average. One that comes to mind was a Korina Singlecut. That one was freakishly light, but it sounded better. Better, not good, though. Kinda bright and thin, but very loud acoustically, unlike the Nick Catanse. What was worse about that is it had a multi-piece body that wasn't matched well at all and looked cheap as hell. Same awkard Wide Fat neck profile, but this one had tiny small frets.

14956616_10154704071785746_1901111562436673032_n.jpg

I also an Singlecut SE that I didn't keep photos of. Like I said, below average. Thin or dead-sounding with an underwhemlingly figured top.

Also, the tuners they put in those are absolute garbage. Expect to have to change them out. I've heard some people have good experiences with them. The ones in my Mushok actually held tune fine. But all of the others didn't at all. I always changed them out for Grovers or Gotohs. The nuts were terrible as well, and they're cut for fucking 9's. Like literally, you can't even fit 11's in them. 10's you can, but expect binding.

For a company that profess the importance of one piece bodies and necks and hardware made of the right alloys, they certainly seem to be cutting every corner they can to bring these to a pricepoint. Which in the end, isn't even that cheap compared to like Squier Classic Vibe, which is around the same level of quality I'd come to expect from PRS SE.

Do not mistake me as some kind of snob. I've had LTD's that cost around the same, but came with good pickups and tuners, didn't have any major defects, and sounded much better.

So that's been my experience with PRS SE. Sorry to be the party pooper. :(
Sounds like my Charvel experiences.

But, it happens. I'm inclined to believe things have come a long way since those SE's were on the market. And yes, tuners are shitty. Even the $1949 S2's tuners suck, and they're supposed to be Core tuners? I've had 2 S2 594's and the tuners were so inconsistent and cheap feeling. Some smooth, some slipped, some were tight, flimsy, shitty. I put locking Kluson Revolutions on, big upgrade.

The hardware on those McCartys seems nicer. I doubt it's the same as the core stuff, because they state it's Zinc on the SE's. But at least, it's nicer than the average stuff because it's got some brass in there.

My advice is to look at the actual one you'll be buying, because those have multi-piece bodies with no veneer on top. It doesn't look the prettiest when they're not matched well, like my SE Singlecut Korina I showed you.

The hardware on those McCartys seems nicer. I doubt it's the same as the core stuff, because they state it's Zinc on the SE's. But at least, it's nicer than the average stuff because it's got some brass in there.

My advice is to look at the actual one you'll be buying, because those have multi-piece bodies with no veneer on top. It doesn't look the prettiest when they're not matched well, like my SE Singlecut Korina I showed you.
They claim its core hardware - their USA 594's tailpiece is listed as zinc and brass too, but I saw a video where somebody stated the bridge saddles appeared to look different, (yet still brass).

As noted above, the one I pictured buying is the exact one I paid for. I believe they are 3-pieces, but the top in various pics looks pretty inconspicuous. I'm not particularly concerned, as it will end up an upgrade-platform "beater".

Long time lurker first time poster on here. I own a early model McCarty 594 SE that I bought at the end of January of this year. I also own three other PRS Core models ( two Custom 24's & a 2001 Singlecut). In all honesty, instock form the SE 594 holds its own again the Core line. I have no experience with S2 models. My opinion of the S2 line is they look like trash, but that's just my opinion, and opinions vary.
Here's a pic of my 594 SE alongside my 2001 Singlecut.
If you get a 594 SE without any flaws, then you are definitely getting more than your moneys worth! The pickups are great, the electronics are great, the tuners are great, the bridge and tailpiece are great, and the nut is great. Mine came with the action high, all I did was dropped the action to my taste and called it good. The only mods I did to my 594 is, I swapped out the stock pickup rings and control knobs for some Core parts. I also installed a set of 2002 #7 treble & bass pickups I had laying around, and I plan to swap the electronics, because I'm a tinker. The one thing that did take some getting used is the neck, because it has a beefy neck on it. If beefy necks are not your thing, then definitely try before you buy. I've owned a fair share of SE's over the years and PRS really stepped their game up with the SE models they have put out so far this year. Hopefully that helps🤙

Attachments

• 20230212_112251.jpg
    20230212_112251.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 54
Long time lurker first time poster on here. I own a early model McCarty 594 SE that I bought at the end of January of this year. I also own three other PRS Core models ( two Custom 24's & a 2001 Singlecut). In all honesty, instock form the SE 594 holds its own again the Core line. I have no experience with S2 models. My opinion of the S2 line is they look like trash, but that's just my opinion, and opinions vary.
Here's a pic of my 594 SE alongside my 2001 Singlecut.
If you get a 594 SE without any flaws, then you are definitely getting more than your moneys worth! The pickups are great, the electronics are great, the tuners are great, the bridge and tailpiece are great, and the nut is great. Mine came with the action high, all I did was dropped the action to my taste and called it good. The only mods I did to my 594 is, I swapped out the stock pickup rings and control knobs for some Core parts. I also installed a set of 2002 #7 treble & bass pickups I had laying around, and I plan to swap the electronics, because I'm a tinker. The one thing that did take some getting used is the neck, because it has a beefy neck on it. If beefy necks are not your thing, then definitely try before you buy. I've owned a fair share of SE's over the years and PRS really stepped their game up with the SE models they have put out so far this year. Hopefully that helps🤙

I've had the S2, and it has the same neck profile. My 50's LP Standard is a nice beefy neck too. I actually LOVE the wide-fat profile. Being asymmetrical makes it super comfortable, and wide necks are what I prefer.

I'm waiting on UPS as we speak...😠

I’ve been interested in the Singlecut of these since they were announced but wanted to try before I buy and no one around me has had them in yet. I have an S2 McCarty singlecut that is just amazing. Great fretwork, great feel, sustain, tone. The neck carve is different but I have a thing for ESP/LTD Eclipses. If the SE is near my S2 I’d pick one up easily.

Back