Anybody else hate their job?

IT slug here. All the years I was making bucko bucko, I was paying $2500 a month in child support for 20 years or so. Now I make 1/2 of what I did, but better than 3/4 of the population, so I should shut up. Zero retirement, hardly any savings. I've basically lost the will to live.

IT is boring as fuck. And the thing about IT is this. Unless your a fast thinker that can keep up, you don't belong in the field. 95% of the people I come across, have zero business being in the field. Can't stand it anymore. I keep waiting to wake up dead.

I do carpentry part time just to make it feel like I actually did something. I tried it full time after a layoff, but November comes and there's no work. Plus I can't stand bidding and getting outbid by illegals that work for $200 a day. I'm after the 1% that will pay 4-500 a day because they get it.

Where I live, people don't care about that fact that I'm licensed, registered business in my town and have insurance. Cheap Cheap Cheap is all that matters. Then there's the invoicing, materials, driving around constantly, orders getting messed up. I don't know how anybody does it full time.

If I could mount TV's at $150 a pop, I'd do that for a living. 3 a day and I'd be all set. That and deck refinishes. Tools required? Sander, power washer, paint brush. That's what I enjoy the most. Outside, hard work and nobody asking me any questions. The tools and materials is what really pisses me off. 10,000 tools sometimes to do a small fucking job. Want to take all my tools, put them in a pile and set them on fire. Fuck, I might jump in as well.
I wish I could find a carpenter with your skills and work ethic in my area. I'd have no problem paying someone $500 a day to do the job right the first time. Best of luck to you, hope things turn around in your favor.

I wish I could find a carpenter with your skills and work ethic in my area. I'd have no problem paying someone $500 a day to do the job right the first time. Best of luck to you, hope things turn around in your favor.
where you at? you need help just holla....

95% of the people I come across, have zero business being in the field. Can't stand it anymore. I keep waiting to wake up dead.
This is the case with every field, not just IT. Most people do lousy work. Keep your head up brother, good things are soon to come.

I hate my job. I can't put my finger on it, but I just feel and have felt out of place since day one. I'm outspoken, I'm a top performer, and my reviews are always 5 stars, with the word "asset" always in the comments. But, I get no enjoyment, the days drag ass, and all I can think about is 5:00. I should be grateful, but while looking elsewhere, I'm getting ZERO call backs or interest in resumes I've submitted, and think most are because of my salary. In today's world, they want people with Bachelors Degrees and starting pay of $25 an hour. That's shit money. I already took a pay cut to leave my last job making 85k, but I was treated like garbage. This job, people stab you in the back, report you to HR if you say the wrong thing, and it's like walking on eggshells. I get a knot in my stomach every morning coming in. I fucking hate it! It's full of woke tattle tails.
You work at Gulfstream Aerospace too?

I love the company I work for and generally love the job, but I had to figure out how to navigate it because the position comes with a giant bullseye on my back. This is the first company I’ve worked for that put their money where their mouth was when they said they valued me as an employee. I was hired 6 years go as an entry level maintenance man for a commercial property management company after getting a bullshit HVAC certification that taught me nothing. Within 18 months I was promoted to Chief Engineer and I’ve been running the maintenance/construction department for the last 5 years.

The job can be stressful, I’m basically here for everyone to dump their problems on and not everyone understands that I’m the guy that gets shit fixed, not the guy that breaks it. Fortunately, I love getting shit done and I like making people happy, so I focus on that aspect and ignore the noise. After I proved myself in the position I got full control of my department, staff, SOP’s, vendors and now I manage the construction side of things as well.

Can’t say I have a passion for building codes, HVAC specs, plumbing parts, I hate shop talk and some of my vendors are into their field like we are with gear, but I do love the campus I run and take a lot of pride in it. My first boss here told me “The property is a reflection of you, what people see when they visit, whether it’s a plumber, city inspector or tenant, is what they will see in you” and that was effective. And it’s why my staff cleans every nook and cranny of this place, particularly the places people don’t see regularly.

If anyone is interested the federal prison system is desperate for help. 15k sign on bonus and the benefits are outstanding. Retire at age 50 with 20 years service or retire at any age with 25 years service. Plus because it’s law enforcement you get your social security benefits when you retire. So your pension + social security supplement + 401k…and your 401k is not penalized because your Leo. Lots of opportunities with the agency. Plus you get your foot in the door you can transfer to other agencies or locations all across the country. Just thought I’d share in case anyone is interested.

If anyone is interested the federal prison system is desperate for help. 15k sign on bonus and the benefits are outstanding. Retire at age 50 with 20 years service or retire at any age with 25 years service. Plus because it’s law enforcement you get your social security benefits when you retire. So your pension + social security supplement + 401k…and your 401k is not penalized because your Leo. Lots of opportunities with the agency. Plus you get your foot in the door you can transfer to other agencies or locations all across the country. Just thought I’d share in case anyone is interested.
Hope the feds pay better than the states do.

Back