Anybody want to buy 2 Celestion G12M-70 speakers? tee hee!

soc_monki

Well, i knew for years that these speakers werent all that great, at least for the tone i was pursuing. they worked, and when loud they did ok. little loose on the bottom, and can get get ice picky on top. I finally got sick of them. They dont pair well at ALL with my Recto. sounded pretty good with my 5150, ironically. I replaced 2 of them out of my 4x12 with WGS HM75's and HOLY CRAP what a difference. I still have one G12M in there, along with a Peavey Sheffield 1230 that got switched out years ago when one of the old G12M's blew up. the WGS's are nice though. i havent played it loud yet, just tested it (havent even screwed on the back of the cab yet, its just sitting on there), but they sound tighter, more defined, and the high end doesnt shriek like with the 70's.

so now the question...im thinking of replacing the 1230 and the other 70 with more WGS speakers. im thinking Veteran 30s? put them in an X pattern with the 75s, should cover the top and bottom and throw a few more mids in there. oh thats another thing...the 70s had a horrible midrange on them with the Recto. didnt pair well at all...i turned the mids up past noon and it still sounded awesome, no cardboardy feel or tone. just smooth chunky mids.

i know some people love the 70's, although they are regarded as the worst celestion ever made. if anyone wants them ill give them up. otherwise, theyll just sit around collecting dust unless i need to put it in if something blows up!

You know, I've "retired" vintage speakers that clearly don't have it anymore, if they ever did. Most frequently with G12-65s. Some of those are great. Some are crap and all fizzy or tired. By retired I mean a march outside and a nice big heave into the trash can. Just did it again about 2 days ago.

After 20, 30 years, you just don't know what the speakers have been through, and it's best to just put them and us out of our misery.

interesting...never thought about that honestly. i got this cab in the mid 90s (actually had a whole Laney AOR stack). the speakers were stock from the 80s, and i put them through lots of gigs indoor and outdoor. i figured speakers got more broken in with age and sounded better. these just dont jive with the Recto and i figured putting different speakers in would be wiser than blowing a huge wad on a new cab! LOL

I actually liked the sound of the Laney AOR cab I have somewhere still enough to open it up and see what it was loaded in it and was surprised to see the G12-70M's. They sound good to me that cab and I have some nice cabs for comparison. Wasn't worth it to me to unload the cab for peanuts when it actually paired well with my Ultra-Lead 120. Haven't used it in 3 years but, it's loaned out to my ex-band and they have no complaints.

i got rid of the top cab and the head for the 5150. now i kind of wish i would have kept the 2nd cab because i cant find them anywhere honestly. if i could find one for cheap id be all over it. keep one at the practice space, one at home. carrying a 4x12 up a flight of stairs sucks!

I sold my old car to some bloke. He found four G12M-70 speakers in the backseat. I told them he could keep them to use as ashtrays.

petejt":2g5r7job said:
I sold my old car to some bloke. He found four G12M-70 speakers in the backseat. I told them he could keep them to use as ashtrays.
Creative disposal technique...well done! :thumbsup:

I have four of them in an old Sunn 4x12 and they actually sound pretty good when used with a processed sound...this particular cab is wired in stereo and was used with my rack system throughout the 90's. That said, they sound pretty "blah" when used with a dry amp.

cnote":47a8z8ne said:
You know, I've "retired" vintage speakers that clearly don't have it anymore, if they ever did. Most frequently with G12-65s. Some of those are great. Some are crap and all fizzy or tired. By retired I mean a march outside and a nice big heave into the trash can. Just did it again about 2 days ago.

After 20, 30 years, you just don't know what the speakers have been through, and it's best to just put them and us out of our misery.

Why wouldn't you have them reconed. They'd still have pretty good value. Especially G12-65's.

Schaf":1uzdyl2j said:
cnote":1uzdyl2j said:

Why wouldn't you have them reconed. They'd still have pretty good value. Especially G12-65's.

+1 That's what I was thinking too. I would take them for reconing, and even pay for shipping.

As for the G12M-70's, I really dislike them. Might be worth sending them to Scumback for a recone, they are not in his list of recones, but I bet he could do it.

As for what WGS speakers for soc_monki, I would check out the retro 30's. Although the Vet 30's might mix better with the HM75's you already have

I had them in an old Fender 4x12. I had a few clips that voodoo had on their site that I made. I thought they sounded really good in that cab. How much are you looking for 1. I may consider it for swapping into an ISO cab.

danhops":1gjp2n1d said:
I had them in an old Fender 4x12. I had a few clips that voodoo had on their site that I made. I thought they sounded really good in that cab. How much are you looking for 1. I may consider it for swapping into an ISO cab.

i dont even really know what they are worth honestly! throw out some numbers or pm me...lets make a deal! :rock:

Back