Anyone have experience licensing/selling tool designs to Stewmac (Or Similar)?

vultures

Howdy gang.

I've been working on guitars for quite some time and there are some corner cutting things I've noticed a lot of techs, luthiers and joe-schmoe's doing. A specific tool set I've designed is something that is in the general woodworking realm, but hasn't been brought to bear on guitars. I'm trying to be as vague as possible with it. Some colleagues have seen my tools and asked why the hell I haven't done more with it and even want a set for themselves. It not only makes certain jobs easier, but accurate and faster too. The repairs I've done with these tools make the repair just about invisible. I've made multiple prototypes from my previous metal shop experience combined with 3D printed parts for handles. Good quality, but hand made instead of machined.

For the next proto stage I'm moving towards getting these parts machined and cut out of 1075 Spring Steel, 304 Stainless Steel and Grade 2 Titanium. I've got quotes from a machine shop and it's surprisingly affordable. Affordable enough that I could just sell these outright, but I don't really have the free time to to advertise and push these to multiple forums, FB groups, trade shows, etc.. I'd rather license/sell the tool to Stewmac. Anyone have experience with this? I don't want to talk with them and have the possibility of my design stolen. I have no frame of reference if they're reasonable. I've just seen other tools designed by other Luthiers on their site. I could pull a patent to protect it, but lawyer fees look prohibitively expensive.

There are some other tool/jig designs I've been using and working with for a while now. Occasionally I've seen people rip them off with DIY versions. I've even designed things for some decently big guitarists only to have them sandbag me and not give me references/credit/business. So I want to be a little careful with design.

Weather you decide to sell these yourself or liscense the idea you really need ownership via a patent. While it is expensive, I believe you can write off the costs. That being said, enforcement of the patent is almost more important than the patent itself.
The way I look at it is as such, is the 3-5k expense of a patent worth it to avoid seeing someone hawking your idea as they’re own. To me it is.
As for licensing vs selling, you’d probably be much better off selling them under your brand name to retailers such as stewmac, as it cuts costs for them which they find appealing. Plus you would have a brand that builds value and that you could eventually sell off. The downside being you bare the cost of production and management of the manufacturing process.
Just don’t do what I did, which is design something and be told it was stupid, only to have all those people buy said product when someone else came out with the same idea a year later.

Patent patent patent.

Just be aware if the Chinese see your product, expect them to copy it and sell it for cheap.

I have a great product design that everyone who I discuss it with agrees it would sell. It’s super simple to make too. I’m just a bit lazy.

If and when you do patent, remember to think of as many different embodiments of your idea as possible. How many ways can you achieve the same result with small changes (subtle change in approach to get the same function). And you want the utility, not the design paten if at all possible. Design patents aren’t worth a terrible amount in the long run if you can simply modify the design to get the same result. A good IP lawyer should be able to guide you in all of this, but expect to feel the need to have a full lobotomy to get on the same page in the discussion as patent law is infuriatingly absurd at times.

Weather you decide to sell these yourself or liscense the idea you really need ownership via a patent. While it is expensive, I believe you can write off the costs. That being said, enforcement of the patent is almost more important than the patent itself.
The way I look at it is as such, is the 3-5k expense of a patent worth it to avoid seeing someone hawking your idea as they’re own. To me it is.
As for licensing vs selling, you’d probably be much better off selling them under your brand name to retailers such as stewmac, as it cuts costs for them which they find appealing. Plus you would have a brand that builds value and that you could eventually sell off. The downside being you bare the cost of production and management of the manufacturing process.
Just don’t do what I did, which is design something and be told it was stupid, only to have all those people buy said product when someone else came out with the same idea a year later.
THIS - and do not use Legalzoom type orgs, get a real lawyer

OP says the product already exists for general woodworkers but isn't sold by luthier supplies or with a version made specifically for guitars. That likely means it's not something that could be protected by a patent or the idea was protected by a patent and it expired in the past.

Regardless, if you want to license you need to have legal ownership of the idea. Otherwise you don't have anything that demands a fee. You could reach out to people who designed products sold by stewmac. Some of them are mentioned on the various product pages. There isn't much point in doing that research until you own the idea though and most people won't entertain a discussion or assist you with info if you won't share any information about what your thing does or is. There are too many people that think they have an incredible idea that turns out to be non-viable to bother.

Any reason why this isn't something that could just be manufactured and sold on the Balaguer site?

Last edited:
Back