Anyone here ever play a '59 Les Paul?

kasperjensen

Just curious.

And how did it feel?

Was there something incredible about it to you? Does it feel anything like a modern Standard LP?

I am not so much asking about the price and it's value... More an opinion on them taking money out of the equation.

No, but I've played an all original '58 though. Didn't feel like a new standard, no. Sounded amazing? Yes.

the Ultimate guitar in my opinion. Unfortunately not affordable to many.
skin1.jpg

Yes I have played lots of 59's that my buddy Gil has owned. I also bought and owned the 1958 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop that I later sold to Kirk Hammett who records with it all the time. I have never had a reissue Les Paul that was anything like them. For some reason the old ones just ring like a tuning fork and bloom at least the ones I have had my mits on.

B

Didn't play too long but plucked on a 60 burst and honestly wasn't too impressed...at least not "deed to the house" impressed. I just think there are plenty of builders today making as good if not better, but i think in every field that has "hobbyists" there has to be a "holy grail."

I'm pretty sure Zachman owns one. I haven't even seen one in person. Would love to own one but unless I find one at a yard sale, that's not going to happen.

King Guitar":jlgmdbpr said:
Yes I have played lots of 59's that my buddy Gil has owned. I also bought and owned the 1958 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop that I later sold to Kirk Hammett who records with it all the time. I have never had a reissue Les Paul that was anything like them. For some reason the old ones just ring like a tuning fork and bloom at least the ones I have had my mits on.

B
How cool is that!!! :rock:

I played a few old ones. It has always been an awesome experience and an extremely noticeable difference. I remember when I was younger, I was at Mandolin brothers and was playing an old reissue or classic or something and the owner was talking to my father. When I said I liked the guitar he pulled a case from behind the counter and told me to go check it out. It was an all original 'burst from around '59. I think I strummed it a bit and gave it back. I was too freaked out by how expensive it was at the time. I think the other was a '57 much later. That one just resonated through my rig.

The Hoff":1resyfki said:
I'm pretty sure Zachman owns one. I haven't even seen one in person. Would love to own one but unless I find one at a yard sale, that's not going to happen.

Not mine (I wish)... It's a friend's

I have played a few, some w/ chunky necks, some with a slim profile neck. They do sound KILLER!!! I prefer the slim profile necks.

IMAG0234.jpg

IMAG0235.jpg

IMAG0237.jpg

I've played a few as well. They are very acoustically resonant even unplugged. Some would described them as bell like in tone acoustically. Many think the amount of time the wood has been allowed to set and cure causes this.

If you ever get to La Crosse, WI... Dave's Guitar Shop owner Dave Rodgers has a few upstairs in his attic. If you know the password, you might get to play one. ;)

Oh... and no... it doesn't sound or feel like any current production LP. Much warmer, thicker, and bigger lows. They all aren't tone monsters though. Some stinkers were made from 1957-1960 as well. Gotta love that Gibson quality control. :D

King Guitar":274ctn2t said:

B

and this is why I would not bother with anything gibson today, they cant do what guys with simple tools could do back in the day. Those $$$$$$ reissue 59s must be a joke......on the buyer :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for cementing that Brad :thumbsup:

Digital Jams":p003fck0 said:
King Guitar":p003fck0 said:

B

and this is why I would not bother with anything gibson today, they cant do what guys with simple tools could do back in the day. Those $$$$$$ reissue 59s must be a joke......on the buyer :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for cementing that Brad :thumbsup:

I have some really nice reissue Les Pauls but I have been to the city and seen the elephant so I know better. Thats why I am shelling out for the Bartlett and hoping for the best, closest I can get to and afford for the real deal late 50s vibe.

I've played exactly 2.

One was really pretty good, but not fantastic. The other was below average.

Now, I'm not a Gibson fanboy, but I expected more. My buddy owns the one that was pretty good. I guess my lasting impression was "what's all the fuss about?"

psychodave":3g6u4tsl said:
Here is a pic of a MINT 1958 Les Paul... It lived most of its life under a bed in a guitar case. I was really nervous holding it...it was that clean.

I just recently met that 58!
58rumb1.jpg

58rumb2.jpg

here's a vid with it...

Back