Anyone shipped a guitar internationally lately?

Qweklain

I went in to have a quote to ship a guitar to Australia and I just about shit a brick when they told me how much it was going to cost; $1,000!!! It was actually a little over 1k, but I checked everwhere and this is what they all said. Last I shipped internationally was to Poland and it was around $275 if I remember right. What the hell?

Has anyone else had any "sticker shock" that has experienced shipping internationally lately?

I sent a painting recently to Germany. 6'x5'x14" crate weighing 65lbs.. Not sure of the exact total, since the buyer paid.But I think it was $650ish.

Sent a 7'x7' crate to Canada and it cost me $350 plus brokrage fees.

I have used freight services of Fed ex, Ups and have found the best to be DHL(price and service)

I know these arnt equitable, but international shipping for individual items is costly.

It seems they charge an astronomical amount now from what I have been reading if your item takes up more volume versus weight. I can fly myself out there AND BACK for less than shipping this guitar! I just do not understand how it can be so cheap to ship TO the US from just about anywhere, but shipping outside of here? You better be a goddamn millionaire or selling to one, because it is going to cost a fucking fortune...

If I order a neck from Warmoth to Norway, it's about 87$ in shipping (USPS). I would guess the double for a whole guitar?
But Australia is about as far away as you can get from the US, and I'd guess you have to go overkill with the package?

Shipping to Australia is crazy expensive in general. What shipper did you get the quote from? Typically USPS is by far the cheapest. For most countries, it's around $150-ish. Australia is usually 2-3x that amount.

It took me three more attempts at various USPS', but the last one I tried said it would be $303 so off it went.

Oh man, this is scary 'cause I'm hoping to get a 2nd-hand guitar shipped over here (Australia) from Belgium.

I can only hope they don't charge as much over there for private jobs as they do in the US.

:loco:

Yup, usually around $150 to Europe USPS Priority. About 5 business days, but one guitar I sent recently got stuck in customs for 5 weeks.

Next one I sent Global Express for about $250. Took 2 business days.

I forgot to update this with the results, but it cost $303 after two more USPS attempts. If I could have shortened the length by two inches, I could have gotten down to $268, but that was physically impossible. Not sure if I was getting people putting wrong info in or what, but not sure why USPS was quoting me almost a grand as well a few times.

Yeah man, I have no idea. I work with some Aussie bands and have shipped guitars valued 2-3k over there a bunch of times, and it was never more than $200.

Back