Anyone use WCR pickups?

4nkam

The WCR pickups have interested me for awhile but I really haven't had a decent guitar to put them in until recently. I'm curious about any experience with these in les pauls, but particular the Goodwood, darkburst, and Iron Man models.

My favorite pickups in LPs are usually a duncan alnico II pro or 59 in the neck along with a 59 in the bridge. I have used the JB off and on in the bridge but I don't like it too much in LPs since it seems to be a BIT too much...something. Maybe it has too much mids for my taste since it feels a bit stiff.

so basically I'm looking for something along those lines that can churn out tones reminiscent of Duane, Slash, Haynes, but also be able to have enough clarity to rock out some harder/heavier stuff too.

mJ[/url]

I love 'em and have tried most all of Jim's pickups except the IronMan. For what you're wanting, I'd suggest a Fillmore in the bridge and a Crossroads in the neck (my fav combo)...can do classic rock to modern metal with that set.

I've been interested in them as well, but I can never make up my mind which set to try. I'd like something with medium output in the bridge.......hot but not TOO hot and 59 esque in the neck.

The Goodwood sound clips I've heard sound great but I wasn't sure if a bridge Goodwood would be too mild or not.

Beergoblin":ed6cb said:
I've been interested in them as well, but I can never make up my mind which set to try. I'd like something with medium output in the bridge.......hot but not TOO hot and 59 esque in the neck.

The Goodwood sound clips I've heard sound great but I wasn't sure if a bridge Goodwood would be too mild or not.

IMO the Goodwood has the best tone, but it's not very powerful. The Fillmore is next up and is a little hotter. The Crossroads neck is the classic PAF and is my favorite. THe Darkburst from what I understand is a little hotter Crossroads. I'd email Jim and ask him what he would recommend. He's very helpful and will point you in the right direction. And He'll get back with you quick.

Also, Jim of WCR, Wolfe from Wolfetones, and other amp, pickup, and guitar manufacterers regularly hang out at a forum called www.axehouseconsortium.org and its a cool place. Drop by and check it out.

Cool, thx for the link. My pickup choices have been changing a bit as of late though, so a Goodwood may fit the bill.

I have always used hot bridge pickups, but one of my newer guitars has a 59 in the bridge and I was surprised that I could still pull off hard rock, metal esque tones with it.....at least for what I need it for. I don't usually play much death metal anymore, so I don't need uber amounts of gain/output anymore, and the 59 acutally fit the bill well in the bridge.

Are their high output offerings still musical and versatile? Or are they suited more so just for all out metal and nothing in between?

Beergoblin":44301 said:
Are their high output offerings still musical and versatile? Or are they suited more so just for all out metal and nothing in between?

The great thing about WCR pickups is their versatility...I have a Herc and a Fillmore set, they're both very musical.

scottcrud":ffbc0 said:
I'm interested too, but JEEZ, $180!?! Do they give blowjobs too?
I got the Shredder for free and to be honest I would not have paid $180 for it. It sounds good but that pricing is way high IMO. The parts for a pickup might cost a whole $10...

I'm sure if I spoke with him he'd be able to suggest me a set I'd be happy with....but as usual its a damned crap shoot when dealing with pickups. You never quite know what to expect until you get them into your guitar.

Its too bad pickups aren't manufactured in such a way where you could just walk into a guitar shop and pop different pickups in and out of YOUR guitar right on the fly..... regardless of the maker. Or at the very least have a slew of different guitars with a makers entire line there at your disposal just to try out and compare right up against each other.

Beergoblin":591e0 said:
The thing about WCR's high output pickups is despite being higher output, they aren't over-the-top and retain tgreat tone and clarity.

Back