Anyone using an attenuator with an MC?

Shark Diver":147ild4b said:
johnnyjellybean":147ild4b said:
Shark Diver":147ild4b said:
Yeah, I use the Phantom. I think it is the best one. And down to about -10db I think it is transparent.

Shame on you!!

LOL Gotta do what the club tells you. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL

steve_k":147ild4b said:
Whats the best way to kill $4400 worth of tone? - Use an attenuator. :thumbsdown:

I bought an Ultimate Attenuator because it was the best on the market, according to some at the time. This was before Faustine. But, it still made the amp sound like shit. If I were going to use an attenuator, I would probably just DI though a Boss GT8 or Axe FX to the mixing board and FOH.

Steve

That's a little extreme. :confused: Try a Phantom. ;)

Ah well, extreme or not, its my opinion of it anyway with a Plexi. I am sure the Wiz will be the same.

One thing that was cool on the UA though, is that it has a 100 volt plug for the amp. Right off the bat it drags the input voltage down and subsequent voltage to the tubes for some immediate brown tone. Works similar to the Variac usage that EVH coined. Attenuation can be bypassed as well. Not sure if these other attenuators have that feature.

Steve

Where is the best place to score a Ultimate and the fastest way to get it? Okay, yeah without stealing or shop lifting. I do want to close the door on that joke oppurtunity. :LOL: :LOL:

steve_k":202dipda said:
Shark Diver":202dipda said:
johnnyjellybean":202dipda said:
Shark Diver":202dipda said:
Yeah, I use the Phantom. I think it is the best one. And down to about -10db I think it is transparent.

Shame on you!!

LOL Gotta do what the club tells you. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL

steve_k":202dipda said:
Whats the best way to kill $4400 worth of tone? - Use an attenuator. :thumbsdown:

I bought an Ultimate Attenuator because it was the best on the market, according to some at the time. This was before Faustine. But, it still made the amp sound like shit. If I were going to use an attenuator, I would probably just DI though a Boss GT8 or Axe FX to the mixing board and FOH.

Steve

That's a little extreme. :confused: Try a Phantom. ;)

Ah well, extreme or not, its my opinion of it anyway with a Plexi. I am sure the Wiz will be the same.

One thing that was cool on the UA though, is that it has a 100 volt plug for the amp. Right off the bat it drags the input voltage down and subsequent voltage to the tubes for some immediate brown tone. Works similar to the Variac usage that EVH coined. Attenuation can be bypassed as well. Not sure if these other attenuators have that feature.

Steve

All good. I just think my SLOs attenuated sound better than a GT8. ;)

I highly recommend Alex's attenuator. I just played my MC with it for the first time and there is NO discernable difference in tone other than the speakers not moving as much air. The sweet spot seems to be -9db, loud enough to move air, but not the cops :thumbsup:

Hollywood":sxvh71m0 said:
Thanks. the alex? Where? who? How much? By the way, Josh Sage has got some incredible insight on these Wizards. He and I just talked on the phone twice he gave me a set of control settings that took me right into .... oh! Okay. Cool! :yes: Another hting the 1st time I played this new Wizard was with a Slash gold top with Alnico II pro pick ups. I changed out les-pauls and ran one with Rio Grande BBQ in the bridge and texas in the neck. That told me the ALnico pro II's gotta go if I run the Wizard. Any pick up recommendations guys? I have never tried the Aldrich pups yet? :confused:
I've got Aldrich PU's in a couple of Les Paul's and they sound superb through the Wizard. :thumbsup:

Lp Freak":356vym25 said:
Hollywood":356vym25 said:
Thanks. the alex? Where? who? How much? By the way, Josh Sage has got some incredible insight on these Wizards. He and I just talked on the phone twice he gave me a set of control settings that took me right into .... oh! Okay. Cool! :yes: Another hting the 1st time I played this new Wizard was with a Slash gold top with Alnico II pro pick ups. I changed out les-pauls and ran one with Rio Grande BBQ in the bridge and texas in the neck. That told me the ALnico pro II's gotta go if I run the Wizard. Any pick up recommendations guys? I have never tried the Aldrich pups yet? :confused:
I've got Aldrich PU's in a couple of Les Paul's and they sound superb through the Wizard. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the 411. :thumbsup: I just ran the Wizard tonite for a touch over 1 hour and I tried Steve k's listed settings and they were actually close to Josh's settings. Difference was more treble and less mids. Those settings pushed this amp into INSANE TERRITORY. I actually liked it through every damn cab I ran tonite.
I even ran the MC-100 into an old school english marshall plexi cab with greenbacks in it. And it was...breathtaking. :rock: My 1st cab from last nite has got some sorta issues inside and the Wizard or any other amp last nite would suffer through that cab. I will open it and gut it in the next few days. An attenuator, PUPS, 4-new speakers for my sick cab and I'm all fixed up. :LOL: :LOL: For now!

Yeah thanks for the thread. I am gonna have to sit on this one and think. All the while I will be playing this Wizard and going a little more deaf. :LOL: :LOL: :rock: :LOL: :LOL:

Back