Anyone using the D-Tuna and like it?

zee1usa

It would be a great tool if it works well. Would it work on any string, say a Low B on a 7 string down to C? :rock:

zee1usa":32k8tqpu said:
It would be a great tool if it works well. Would it work on any string, say a Low B on a 7 string down to C? :rock:

1) They work surprisingly well when set up properly. Personally, I have them on every Floyd equipped guitar I own.

2) Yes, although the D-Tuna was designed for the low E string, it will in fact work on all strings on a 7 string guitar. You will most likely have to modify the inside of the B string unit for more play. This can easily be done with a small round jewelers file.

I had one and took it off. I have better luck just using the fine tuner for our drop D stuff.

I have them on my guitars and they work perfectly....when set up properly. There is a learning curve. There is also a certain spring tension you have to have. I like my springs not to be overly tight...kinda gushy actually when I whammy. Too gushy and it won't function properly.

The tiny allen wrench is your friend ;)

Like some one said, they work best with a dive only setup. I have them on a pair of Music Man Axises and 2002 Fender Floyd Rose Strats where the trem sits flush on the surface of the guitar. I think I have them set up correctly but they don work 100% perfectly 100% of the time. But they are certainly close enough such that a touch of the fine tuner finishes it off in short order. Certainly a heck of a lot better than where I'd be otherwise, considering that my band changes back and forth between E and D all night long. All in all it's a great tool that I wouldn't be able to do without.

H Golf Sport":38cjq3r4 said:
Got 3 of them. Work great once set up. No need to fine tune just switch and go. Love em.

I've got one that I put on my American Peavey HP Special a few weeks ago. I use it every day to go back and forth between Eb and Db. But I do find that I have to twist the fine tuner several turns either way when switching. How would you guys recommend using the allen screw adjustment to make this unnecessary? The instructions that came with the D-Tuna could stand to cover this in more detail and have more comprehensive illustrations.

BTW... my Floyd is blocked (as I've always hated floating trems and always block trems... at least from being able to pull-up).

Red_Label":fqx2ql7m said:
H Golf Sport":fqx2ql7m said:
Got 3 of them. Work great once set up. No need to fine tune just switch and go. Love em.

I've got one that I put on my American Peavey HP Special a few weeks ago. I use it every day to go back and forth between Eb and Db. But I do find that I have to twist the fine tuner several turns either way when switching. How would you guys recommend using the allen screw adjustment to make this unnecessary? The instructions that came with the D-Tuna could stand to cover this in more detail and have more comprehensive illustrations.

BTW... my Floyd is blocked (as I've always hated floating trems and always block trems... at least from being able to pull-up).

Simple.

1.) Pull D-Tuna out.
2.) Tune string to Db.
3.) Lock nut.
4.) Push in D-Tuna.
5.) Turn small allen screw on D-Tuna until the string's tuning is Eb.

After that, every you pull it the string will be tuned to Db. :D

Red_Label":3bvbvvrx said:
H Golf Sport":3bvbvvrx said:

Once youre in tune to Db NEVER use the fine tuner to tune to Eb...use the allen screw!

The thing that I don't fully get is in the instructions where it says during setup to have the fine tuner just barely touching. That's all good and fine during initial setup and if all planets are in alignment and everything works perfectly. But it doesn't leave any room for fine tuner adjustment if you need to lower the D or E a little to fine tune to perfection on the fly. For this reason I turn the fine tuner down a couple of turns which doing initial set up in order to give me a little wiggle room each way. Doesn't seem to bother it as long as I use the allen wrench when bringing the E to proper pitch.

eaeolian":9szzkx3k said:
Red_Label":9szzkx3k said:
H Golf Sport":9szzkx3k said:

Simple.

1.) Pull D-Tuna out.
2.) Tune string to Db.
3.) Lock nut.
4.) Push in D-Tuna.
5.) Turn small allen screw on D-Tuna until the string's tuning is Eb.

After that, every you pull it the string will be tuned to Db. :D

This is how. Only thing I would add is I back out the Allen screw first so it is not screwed in too far and back off the fine tuned all the way then in till it just touches. I just go one turn in. Tune your string just shy of d so when you tighten the lock nut you will be in tune or very close. Takes a few times to get the hang of it.

Red_Label":12jm026i said:
Lord Toneking":12jm026i said:
Once youre in tune to Db NEVER use the fine tuner to tune to Eb...use the allen screw!

Roger. Will try it that way tonight. :)
Also, since you have to back off the fine tuner all the way and give it one turn for fine tuning the dropped D - tune the low E/D a little flat so when you tighten the allen at the nut it brings it up to tune. That way you still will have room for adjusting with the fine tuner when it's all locked down

Back