Anyone want to talk about DSL's?

shred-o-holic

I was surprised to find that I dug one today at GC with a boost. I talked about it in my other thread but no one cares. Anybody use one for heavy stuff? With a boost of course..

I played a few at GC years ago and liked them, especially with a greenback loaded cab. Didn't play any heavy stuff or use a boost though. I didn't like the TSL's.

I have had many over the years and always liked 'em especially with a boost. They get slagged on only because they are so common IMO...

I've had one for a few weeks now. I really like it for hard-rock/metal stuff. Haven't tried boosting it yet though. One of these days...

I've been playing a voodoo modded one for about 2 years now. I tried a ts9 through it for a while and I think it brought it close to a metal territory.

I've had mine for almost 2 years never had a problem with it
I did however replace all of the tubes and it really made it shine,havent tried a boost yet but maybe I will one day.
great tones if you just tweak the gain and volume controls

2 minutes ago some kid's mom showed up at my house and bought her son my DSL50.

I'd have loved to keep it (it would be cool to ALWAYS have a Marshall) but other purchases necessitated its sale.

I'm interested in the new line of Marshalls...we'll see how those go.

>|<>QBB<
PeteLaramee":df716 said:
I've been playing a voodoo modded one for about 2 years now. I tried a ts9 through it for a while and I think it brought it close to a metal territory.

Close to Metal territory? I haven't played a Voodoo modded DSL but the stock one I played boosted with my TS-808 clone Jeckyll/Hyde Pedal was very metal. I wonder what some people's perception of a metal sound is sometimes. Maybe some oversaturated crap or something? The amp had alot of gain with a boost......clearer gain....actually some hair with the presence up....but I tuned that out as I need clarity....but it was Metal for days......I wouldn't have liked it if it wasn't...

>|<>QBB<
shred-o-holic":28b2c said:
>|<>QBB<

Close to Metal territory? I haven't played a Voodoo modded DSL but the stock one I played boosted with my TS-808 clone Jeckyll/Hyde Pedal was very metal. I wonder what some people's perception of a metal sound is sometimes. Maybe some oversaturated crap or something? The amp had alot of gain with a boost......clearer gain....actually some hair with the presence up....but I tuned that out as I need clarity....but it was Metal for days......I wouldn't have liked it if it wasn't...

i agree...even a bone stock DSL can get into Metal territory. however, my opinion of a metal tone is Children of Bodom, or really any of those style of bands. not really a ton of gain, but a lot of mids and enough highs to give it that glassy sheen.

if anyone needed more gain than a stock DSL, id call them nuts! i did the leads on my band's 3 song CD with a DSL (and rhythms were done with the crunch channel gain all the way up!), and i didnt go over 5 on the gain! way more than enough!

>|<>QBB<
shred-o-holic":262aa said:
>|<>QBB<

I agree - many people have different ideas of what "metal" is. That's why I tried to sound vague (but obviously fell short). To me the boosted dsl was very metal.

>|<>QBB<
PeteLaramee":f7720 said:
>|<>QBB<I agree - many people have different ideas of what "metal" is. That's why I tried to sound vague (but obviously fell short). To me the boosted dsl was very metal.

Well I get to spend a few days with a friend's DSL......I'll be better to get an idea of what the amp can do then......I'm wondering what the hell is up with my ears lately. I was a Mesa Recto owner.......then I bought an Orange Tiny terror.....now I went back and tried a Recto and for some reason I'm not into it......it's like you get used to whatever you're using and everything else sounds wierd.....wtf is wrong with me lol? :?

I would have never even given a DSL the time of day in my past days of Peaveys, ENGLs, Mesas... :?

>|<>QBB<
shred-o-holic":fc38d said:
I was surprised to find that I dug one today at GC with a boost. I talked about it in my other thread but no one cares. Anybody use one for heavy stuff? With a boost of course..

Can't say I use it for haevy stuff. But it does sound good with boost pedals, especially to boost it with an eq pedal, makes the green channel nice and chunky. Clips in my sig if you care.

I use a bad monkey to boost the green channel on mine. Sounds closer to a boosted JCM800 than the red (lead channel). Its a lot thicker this way and has a very clear distortion. Not very saturated but loads of crunch. Hard to explain

I think it sounds great. All Dave Murrays rhythm, leads and fills on the new Iron Maiden are all straight up DSL if you want to hear how "metal" it can get.

It NAILS Iron Maiden, Rage Against the Machine, Guns 'n Roses etc.. and can do slightly heavier too. Trivium use them live with a boost so they can definatly do metal. Nile also use them - and Sum 41 etc.. so check out some of them if you want to hear it do more metal stuff.

I ended up getting a Blackmore though aswell for the really heavier, more saturated modern stuff that the DSL cant do. Between the 2 of them i think i have most tones covered

>|<>QBB<
shred-o-holic":7809e said:

I like my dsl100 with boost very much. I use green channel with ts-9. Settings pre-1.5, tre-7, mid-8, bass-5, gain 5-8, vol-2-4, deep in. It Rocks hard!

I've owned some different amps (Mark IV, Recto, TSL, 5150) and I've come back to the DSL again and again. I don't know what it is about it's amp it just gives me the sound that I like. Great sounding amp for the money. I like to use EMG equiped guitars with this amp and think it works really well. I haven't tried a boost yet as I think the red channel sounds great with my guitars. I think this amp does a great job with metal and hard rock tones. All my opinion of course.

DSLs rock. I like Marshalls attempt at a more "heavy/modern" sound on the red channel, but still being able to get the more traditional Marshall sound on the green. I thought the clean sound on the green channel was a nice surprise as well.

If it's good enough for Jeff Beck and Gary Moore..........

Back