Anyone with an Axis able to put on the d-tuna successfully?

cyndicate

Just got an Axis and tried installing the D-tuna today and I am having issues getting it to work properly. It goes from D in the out position to only Eb in the in position. Any thoughts?

From a previous post.

For those who cant get them to work.

"kissmyace wrote:
A lot of the D-Tuna's that didn't come on the Wolfgangs had a bur on the inside of teh part that you pull out. Check it & if its not smooth, file it or dremmel it smooth."

This.
If every thing is set to dive only etc.
I had a few I had to file. Look where spring and locking bolt slide back and forth in silver piece. The inner surface of the silver barrel may have casting marks or excessive/sloppy plating. Take a needle file and touch up until smooth and bolt spring can slide back and forth without hanging up. Remember with string tension any drag or catching will be greatly amplified.
Other than that small set screw backed out and tuning screw backed out and then screwed in till just touching bolt. Maybe 1 turn.
Easy one you get the hang of it. Trem must have no upward pull at all.
Hope this solves it.
Aloha, Rob."

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=96273

H Golf Sport":j7xd88he said:
From a previous post.

"kissmyace wrote:
A lot of the D-Tuna's that didn't come on the Wolfgangs had a bur on the inside of teh part that you pull out. Check it & if its not smooth, file it or dremmel it smooth."

This.
I had a few I had to file. Look where spring and locking bolt slide back and forth in silver piece. The inner surface of the silver barrel may have casting marks or excessive/sloppy plating. Take a needle file and touch up until smooth and bolt spring can slide back and forth without hanging up. Remember with string tension any drag or catching will be greatly amplified.
Other than that small set screw backed out and tuning screw backed out and then screwed in till just touching bolt. Maybe 1 turn.
Hope this solves it.
Aloha, Rob."

Thanks Rob. I will have to give this a try today.

Pretty much after I tuned to D, locked the nut, then pushed in the D-tuna it's flat. So I tried fine tuning with the tuner on the D-tuna but there was only so much it can go before the thing itself got stuck. If I fined tuned too much it just got stuck and I can no longer pull the D-tuna out. Should the fine tuner on the D-tuna itself be backed out all the way before trying to tune from D to E?

For the tuning screw are you referring to the fine tuners on top of the bridge?

Lord Toneking":j7xd88he said:
I have them on both my Axis'ssss :D There are some little tricks but they work perfect

Good to hear. I guess something is weird with mine. Did you use the shorter or longer post?

cyndicate":2hdwl4jc said:
H Golf Sport":2hdwl4jc said:
From a previous post.

"kissmyace wrote:

This.
Hope this solves it.
Aloha, Rob."

Pretty much after I tuned to D, locked the nut, then pushed in the D-tuna it's flat. So I tried fine tuning with the tuner on the D-tuna but there was only so much it can go before the thing itself got stuck. If I fined tuned too much it just got stuck and I can no longer pull the D-tuna out. Should the fine tuner on the D-tuna itself be backed out all the way before trying to tune from D to E?

Lord Toneking":2hdwl4jc said:
I have them on both my Axis'ssss :D There are some little tricks but they work perfect

Good to hear. I guess something is weird with mine. Did you use the shorter or longer post?
I think I used the shorter one, I cant remember. You'll know if you have too much play which to use. Like said in the above post, tune to D just barely flat with the fine tuner all the way out then tighten a half turn. Lock down the allen screw at the nut and that should bring the tuning up to pitch. Once you do that just push it in and fine tune to E with the tiny allen head on the side

sounds like you didnt have the fine tuner backed all the way out. You'll learn over time where exactly you need to set the fine tuner when changing strings and whatnot

Lord Toneking":3p8sbpek said:
cyndicate":3p8sbpek said:
H Golf Sport":3p8sbpek said:
From a previous post.

"kissmyace wrote:

This.
Hope this solves it.
Aloha, Rob."

Lord Toneking":3p8sbpek said:

I think I used the shorter one, I cant remember. You'll know if you have too much play which to use. Like said in the above post, tune to D just barely flat with the fine tuner all the way out then tighten a half turn. Lock down the allen screw at the nut and that should bring the tuning up to pitch. Once you do that just push it in and fine tune to E with the tiny allen head on the side

sounds like you didnt have the fine tuner backed all the way out. You'll learn over time where exactly you need to set the fine tuner when changing strings and whatnot

I think it's an issue with the D-tuna itself, might have to file down the inside like Rob suggested. I read on other forums people were having the same issues and after filing it down it fixed it.

I must have done every variation of that procedure you described 20 times yesterday :LOL: :LOL: I even tried it with the fine tuner backed out all the way

Did you adjust the small allen screw in on the side of the d-tuna? It's there to get you to pitch when the d-tuna is used.

SFW":8046c2xk said:
Did you adjust the small allen screw in on the side of the d-tuna? It's there to get you to pitch when the d-tuna is used.

Yeah, after tuning to D, then locking the tuner I use the small allen screw on the d-tuna, it only gets me so far until it can't turn anymore and the d-tuna is just stuck afterwards. Maybe I just got a dud.

I have a few issues with my D-Tuna. The biggest is that it's a fucking PITA to grab and pull out. I actually have to dive the trem to get a good enough hold on it to pull the thing out. It's too slippery otherwise. My one saddle actually is kinda old, so the rivet inside the saddle assembly that allows the string lock bolt to move up and down is sticky. If anybody has ever fine tuned before and noticed that the saddle bolt isn't popping back up when you back the fine tuner out completely, well, that's what's happening. I've tried soaking it in some lubricant, but I probably have to replace the saddle. Make sure that's not happening in your case.

so weird, still can't figure it out, maybe I need to change strings? :doh:

Can someone take a side shot of the bridge? D-tuna Engaged / disengaged

Dunno had one on an axis and have one on my evh no problems. Have them on all my floyd guitars.

IMG_20120907_201208.jpg

IMG_20120907_201218.jpg

Fine tuner is all the way out then just screwed in enough to make contact for D.
Little set screw is backed all the way out then adjusted in to get E when dtuna is engaged for E.

Try filling the casting marks off inside the chrome piece and if necessary take some scotchbrite to the shank of the locking bolt.
That dtuna has to slide freely back and forth under tension.

geese_com":3ccuafr9 said:
Did you watch this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNHEudK9mI0

Sometimes the saddle lock insert (I think that's what the little block is called) needs to be flipped to it work. I know I have had issues installing D-Tuna's. I have installed them on 2 different Axis guitars without issue.

Yeah, I've done it exactly that way and it's still not working correctly :doh:

H Golf Sport":1btwaort said:
Dunno had one on an axis and have one on my evh no problems. Have them on all my floyd guitars.

Fine tuner is all the way out then just screwed in enough to make contact for D.
Little set screw is backed all the way out then adjusted in to get E when dtuna is engaged for E.

Try filling the casting marks off inside the chrome piece and if necessary take some scotchbrite to the shank of the locking bolt.
That dtuna has to slide freely back and forth under tension.

Thanks for the pics, mine looks exactly like that. I've filed off the casting marks inside and even greased the thing.. so odd. No clue what I'm doing wrong now, it still only goes only half a step. Such a thing as a defective unit?? Pushed in, its not bending the saddle down enough to tune it up a whole step.

I don't know if it will make a difference but the Floyd baseplate doesn'tlook level with the body in the pics. Is it floating at all? Looks nose down.

H Golf Sport":10gy96ww said:
I don't know if it will make a difference but the Floyd baseplate doesn'tlook level with the body in the pics. Is it floating at all? Looks nose down.

Ive tried raising the posts and it didn't make a difference.

Going to try taking it to GC to compare with a Wolfgang or something.

Maybe need to file some more. Plating could be a little thick on the inside. Hard to see in the pics. Take some scotchbrite to the bolt also.

Back