Are 80's GFTPM mags worth anything?

I have a boatload of Guitar For The Practicing Musician magazines and was curious if they are worth anything, or just obsolete because of internet?

chameleon2112":10n1c1sq said:
I have a boatload of Guitar For The Practicing Musician magazines and was curious if they are worth anything, or just obsolete because of internet?

There are a few that are worth a little bit, but most aren't worth much at all. Just search them on ebay. Enter the whole gftpm name and the year and search completed auctions and arrange results by highest price to see if any are worth selling that way.

I have every issue from 12/86 on to Guitar World today. I have probably 6 or so back issues per year going back to the start. What years do you have? I might be interested in buying them from you if you have really early stuff.

I have some on ebay right now. they dont do much. I have an 87 van halen on cover. 86 Yngview on cover etc. asking like $10 and $15 etc. just giving it a go. ad are free so ??

I have been collecting them since the beginning. I have the prototype issue and the premier issue plus years more.

I moved alot between 1986 to the early 90's, my collection got soaked and molded somehow, and were not salvagable. Got nostalgic a couple years ago, and found someone selling them a year at a time (all issues from 1986, 1987, etc), wound up paying around a dollar or two per issue (I think). So not a huge money maker, in my opinion. I may have just gotten lucky, and I know my seller just wanted to get rid of them because they supposedly took up space in his "office".

I have 6 from 1984. June-December minus the July issue. 11 issues from 1985. then differing amounts all the way to 1994. Also have quite a few Guitar School, Guitar Player and Guitar World issues.

I would try Craigslist to avoid having to ship them. They are not exactly obsolete, most online transcriptions suck, and because of the copyrights, no magazine has ever built up an online archive.

I've got drawers/shelves/boxes FULL of GFTPM, GP and GW from all throughout the 80s. Would LOVE to sell them all off as one big lot. But then I'd have to ship the damn things. And it just isn't worth it to me to bother with piecing them all out. So there they sit... awaiting the SHTF (shit hitting the fan), where I'll ball them up one page at a time and feed the wood stove. LOL...

I would be willing to buy a collection from someone. We tossed a bunch of them when we moved about ten years back (I had them from first few issues up to 88 or so) and then I had a fit of nostalgia and bought a few of them on ebay (facepalm)... it would nice to just get a big lot of them rather than deal with people selling individual issues at absurd prices like they're comic books or some other genuinely collectible commodity on eBay.

They were amongst the most technical and interesting mags from that era. Some issues are priceless to some of us, most not. But much better that a comparable Guitar World or Guitar Player.
Certain eighties articles, particularly on Steve Steven's, DLR era Steve Vai were awesome and the tabs were cool as well:
Plus very cool photos.
They are definitely worth something that's for sure.

WashburnSS.jpg

WashburnSS1.jpg

WashburnSS19.jpg

WashburnSS2.jpg

WashburnSS20.jpg

WashburnSS21.jpg

WashburnSS3.jpg

WashburnSS4.jpg

WashburnSS5.jpg

WashburnSS6.jpg

WashburnSS7.jpg

Atomic Playboy

I have from 84ish to early 2000's GFTPM, Guitar World and some others. I am seriously considering liquidating them after moving them across the country with me 3 times. I like to look at the ads and look up all the gear on Ebay that was hot shit in the day and see what it goes for now.

I have several 100 guitar magazines ... I was thinking selling them early this year but never did. Since I am moving I want to get rid of them.

I am looking for a collection of GFTPM, I only have a handful of them. If anyone wants to sell theirs pm me some information and a time and number to call.

I have boxes upon boxes of GFTPM as well as guitar school. Like most id love to sell them dont think id ever get much for them though. I thought it might be a good way to raise $ for an AxeFX, don't have the patience to sell the individually though. So they sit in about 23 boxes in the closet

I looked up the going price of several of the magazines earlier this year ..... certain issues go for a lot more than others. Some go for near $40. Many for around $5..... most much less.

My collection spans from 1976 till today ..... the condition varies a lot. Most are in new shape ..... some are beat.

Less then i thought but still a lot it was 23 boxes when i had the GW magazines in there as well, The GW's i am going to keep these are all GFTPM, Guitar Edge, Guitar One, Guitar School, Total Guitar, and Guitar Player might be something else in there as well

photo-4.jpg

Its going to take awhile but i am going to start scanning the covers of mine, when i get them together i will probably put them up individually in the FS section if anyone is interested

Back