Atomica mod?

Aristocat

Is Mark allowing Brad and Dave to do any of the original amp mods (Ocean, Atomica) or are they just building amps from the ground up now? I'd kill for an Atomica but one amp is one it's way to Dave and the miss' would kill me with good reason if I drop another $3,000.

Any Atomica owners out there that have a Friedman as well? How do they compare?

Thanks guys!

I have a Friedman Marshall and an Atomica. The Friedman has the kitchen sink, effects loop, Saturation, and simple clean. It is the best sounding amp I have ever owned.

Both amps go from clean to scream, the Friedman has a narrower band of available tones than the Atomica but not by much. The Friedman has the best master volume circuit you will ever see. I get great tone at whisper levels and at cracking plaster level. The Atomica's master is more touchy.

Both amps will sound good playing Tom Petty to Slayer. The Friedman is simpler to dial in, I turn all the eq knobs straight up except for the bass ( it goes to 9 o' clock) and forget it (this could be because I have had the amp for 2 years). Because the Atomica has more tonal options (via switches) I tend to adjust it quite a bit. This is probably because I have only had it 5-6 weeks. Of course you get that Cameron grind too :rock: :rock:

If you were sending an amp to Dave, I'd wait to see how you like it before doing anything else. Dave's modded amps and the Atomica are both fantastic amps. If I could only have one amp, I'd pick my Friedman. This is because of sentimental reasons only. Fortunately I can have both :)

Listen to Zachman's clips, the Atomica is that good. After you get your amp back from Dave, save up for the Atomica, It is the first new amp I have bought in years and I do not regret it all.
Here are clips of my Friedman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liuEmMP9Tls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZWkYYWfhrw

Thanks for the reply.

I've been watching both Zach and Mark Day's clips and that's what made me want the Atomica. But the Friedman
was always the amp for me. All the sounds in my head are in that amp and the added bonus is that it has six knobs still.
I'm getting the KS, Variac, Saturation, Loop and a tube swap (6550 to EL34).

If it were not for college, I'd be waist deep in amps lol.

Do you still have that Marshall? I remember watching your videos awhile ago.

Friedman Marsha is a pretty versatile amp. Surprisingly I can get jazz like cleans with the clean option and guitar tone knobs fiddled. Enough to fool a couple of jazz guys I know that use traditional jazz style rigs. Then moving on to the various eras of distortion, its all covered. Spend some time on the Marsha as some mentioned here, as you have quite a range of tones in that kitchen sink. You might also find that the distortion level you think sounds good while playing or listening to clips sounds like shit on tape for certain types of playing.

I always found that the 'room tones' vary and that it's somewhat impossible to get a plug and chug thing going off of just one setting. I'm excited for this amp as I go anywhere from an EVH thing to Eric Johnson. I appreciate the feedback guys. I think for my next investment I'm going to get an Atomica or an AxeFx; most likely the Atomica as I love separate amps.

bonedarrell":3hic43xu said:
I have both and they both are amazing! Great blend for a W/D setup. They each have their own mojo.

Awesome!! The Friedman is great, but the Atomica is more my style!!! I actually played both and the Steve Stevens prototype at Tone Merchants and all three kicked ass!!!

I have a cameron modded marshall that I love but zachmans clips of the atomica are on a completely different level. Mindblowing :rock:

JRD":1917m6qf said:
I have a cameron modded marshall that I love but zachmans clips of the atomica are on a completely different level. Mindblowing :rock:

Yeah they are!!! Zachman kicks ass, but he would probably sound great through a Crate!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

zachman's clips are badass, the guy can play his ass off. The Atomica is easily one of my favorite amps I've owned in the last few years, really fun beast to play!

Erock":1r8pgh1u said:
zachman's clips are badass, the guy can play his ass off. The Atomica is easily one of my favorite amps I've owned in the last few years, really fun beast to play!

Damn right!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Back