Awesome fusion sweeping lick

War Admiral

I stole this from Frank Gambale....Its not for beginners...here it is....you can do it anywhere on the neck but you have to know your positions inside and out.
Pick a key, start on any note on the 6th string and go up in 3rds using down, down, down all on adjacent strings then an up stoke on for the last note on the same string in the 4 note arpeggio. Then repeat the same pattern a fourth up on the 5th string then 4th string then slide up to the next note on the 1st string and go down in reverse...down, up, up, up
Heres an example in D major...going through all the 7th arps in this key going up in fourths....first arp starting on the 10th fret...play this over an E min7 chord (dorian)
1st diagram Dmaj7
2nd diagram Gmaj7
3rd diagram C#min7b5
4th diagram F#min7
5th diagram going down now in Gmaj7
6th diagram Dmaj7
7th diagram A7
and keep going like this all over the place slow and evenly until you get it up to speed...sounds fucking great!
What would be the last arp to finish off the descending run???

Once you find the last arp in the sequence slide up to the next note and go up again but the arps will be not in the same order...you should be able to figure them out...its always in 3rds following the D major scale..same 4 note picking pattern moving up in fourths.

Theres some finger rolling going on here so take your time

Attachments

• maj7 sweeps.png
    maj7 sweeps.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,939
Hahahaha! I like the lesson and thanks for posting it! I am currently tackling getting all the 7th shapes down all over the neck and this is a great little exercise to add!

And, the final arp to finish off the descending run would be an Emin7

DarkSaga":2qq6xo3h said:
Hahahaha! I like the lesson and thanks for posting it! I am currently tackling getting all the 7th shapes down all over the neck and this is a great little exercise to add!

And, the final arp to finish off the descending run would be an Emin7
Yes!!! We have a winner!! :D This is a fantastic lick/exercise that you can do all over the neck...always changing when you shift up or down the neck...anyone who gets this down fluidly will make leaps and bounds in their playing

Can anyone tell me what would be the arps going up after you finish the last Em7 arp? The next position starting on the 14th fret then going down from the 17th? :D Quiz time! Always following the same logic I outlined in my first post, dont forget to stay in D major

Back