Bad Day

3 Mile Stone

Went to my gig today. 3 Mile Stone had the 1 - 3 PM slot at Gruene Harley-Davidson Rally by the River. Huge stage ... I'm ready to rock.

MOD 50 died :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

My guy has it and is giving it a look over. All the fuses were fine, We even pulled the head to check the internal fuses. Everything is hot and running. No sound. Nothing quite like this to throw you way off your game 5 minutes before a show.

Pretty bummed right now.

3 Mile Stone":24yjev6n said:
Went to my gig today. 3 Mile Stone had the 1 - 3 PM slot at Gruene Harley-Davidson Rally by the River. Huge stage ... I'm ready to rock.

My guy has it and is giving it a look over. All the fuses were fine, We even pulled the head to check the internal fuses. Everything is hot and running. No sound. Nothing quite like this to throw you way off your game 5 minutes before a show.

Pretty bummed right now.
Tommy,sorry to hear that,but I'm glad you weren't in another wreck :thumbsup:

jmgman69":289mjbku said:
3 Mile Stone":289mjbku said:

Pretty bummed right now.
Tommy,sorry to hear that,but I'm glad you weren't in another wreck :thumbsup:

:LOL: :LOL: Dig that! Me too.

I should probably clarify the point of my post too. Certainly no intent to foul the rep of Egnater amps. It was meant only to whine to other musicians who understand what it's like to be freaking out at a gig. I hate that feeling.

aeroic":nyt157g6 said:
So you figure out what's up? Tube bad?

Eric

I put a new set in at the show, but no go. It actually fired up initially for a few minutes, we stopped to talk about something and then ....

It may be tubes though, because as I look over the aftermath of the show I am noticing that the plastic center base pin on one of the tubes I pulled out is gone. That's just a guide pin, not part of the circuit though. My shit was all over the stage 'cause I was digging every spare cable, tool and back up piece I own. Carl our sound engineer is also an extremely capable repair tech. He has it at his shop. We'll see soon I hope. I'm betting it was an internal fuse blown some how. Excellent protection circuitry that is built in on this amp probably saved the amp. Fried my nerves but saved the amp. ;)

3 Mile Stone":1j09y2sh said:
aeroic":1j09y2sh said:
So you figure out what's up? Tube bad?

Eric

I put a new set in at the show, but no go. It actually fired up initially for a few minutes, we stopped to talk about something and then ....

It may be tubes though, because as I look over the aftermath of the show I am noticing that the plastic center base pin on one of the tubes I pulled out is gone. That's just a guide pin, not part of the circuit though. My shit was all over the stage 'cause I was digging every spare cable, tool and back up piece I own. Carl our sound engineer is also an extremely capable repair tech. He has it at his shop. We'll see soon I hope. I'm betting it was an internal fuse blown some how. Excellent protection circuitry that is built in on this amp probably saved the amp. Fried my nerves but saved the amp. ;)
Keep my informed.

Hopefully it wasn't a EL34 that caused it :(

Good luck man. I hope things are okay with it!

Eric

Yea, as I said I think the amp is fine. I was more bumming about the experience of panic when you don't know what to do. I usually have spare everything, but I got caught this time. If you remember I was saying in a thread the other day about how it's a let down to carry a back up amp that just doesn't live up to the tone we are used out of a great amp like Egnater. So I sold my Crate V30 thinking I would use my Vox Tone Lab as a back up. Well that idea failed on several levels, Tone Lab is out with a bad power switch. It's a good think I was playing at a Harley-Davidson dealership. Where else does the owner of a store have a full Marshall stack, two 4X12 cabs and a head in his office? The amp found it's way up to the stage pretty fast.

Jeff thanks for checking in and again my post was more to commiserate about the stress of gigs, I know your amps are dependable as anyone's and as I said if it didn't have all the great protection circuitry in it I'm sure it would have been worse.

The Marshall didn't look all that great on my new cab but hey, it was good enough to get me through.

IMG_2264.jpg

3 Mile Stone":ygq4mu7s said:
It's a good think I was playing at a Harley-Davidson dealership. Where else does the owner of a store have a full Marshall stack, two 4X12 cabs and a head in his office?
:LOL: :LOL:

Still no word from my guy. He is notoriously busy, but me and ours are always first in line. He does repair for everybody here in town. They have a load in for a show tonight and he may show up with it ... fixed. That's usually how he rolls. waiting on the call. Can I take this moment to say that being without your Eganter ...

SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:gethim: :cry: :doh:

Still shopping for the back up amp. Something that satisfies my tonal snobbery needs but yet fits in a lower budget category. No luck so far. As much as I hate to, I'd kind like something a little different. I'll never go Egnaterless but that Bogner Alchemist is sure looking cool. I wish Peavey would go ahead and start cranking out those new Buddas. I want that little 6V6 model they are coming out with.

Update. Got the amp back yesterday. There were two things going on. Main problem was V1 took a dump. I had an old Telefunken in there and it completely crapped out. It was very old. Once I couldn't hear anything coming out of the amp. I pulled the fuses to check the power amp. I put one in wrong when I re-inserted it, causing a further failure. All of this would have been a breeze to diagnosis in a nice cool, dark club. I would have seen the preamp tube failure and consequently the fuse light too. I would have also been able to feel the tubes warmth in a cool environment. On a stage that is in full day light and it's about 95 degrees, nice warm Texas afternoon, it's really hard to figure stuff out. We were also supposed to be playing already adding some intensity to the situation. Not the best conditions to trouble shoot.

Lessons learned. :doh:

3 Mile Stone":e5581aw8 said:
Update. Got the amp back yesterday. There were two things going on. Main problem was V1 took a dump. I had an old Telefunken in there and it completely crapped out. It was very old. Once I couldn't hear anything coming out of the amp. I pulled the fuses to check the power amp. I put one in wrong when I re-inserted it, causing a further failure. All of this would have been a breeze to diagnosis in a nice cool, dark club. I would have seen the preamp tube failure and consequently the fuse light too. I would have also been able to feel the tubes warmth in a cool environment. On a stage that is in full day light and it's about 95 degrees, nice warm Texas afternoon, it's really hard to figure stuff out. We were also supposed to be playing already adding some intensity to the situation. Not the best conditions to trouble shoot.

So you panicked :LOL: :LOL: Glad your baby is O.K. Tommy :thumbsup:

3 Mile Stone":qcnty7ij said:

So maybe instead of a backup rig, you should carry a mobile, air conditioned dark room tent with you. Could be used for other backstage related purposes, too :D

I'd get a Seminar head man. That's a killer sounding backup amp for sure! Make a "volume pedal" stomp box to roll back that gain a bit ;)

Eric

Back