bare knuckle warpig

symbolic253

anyone used it? whats it comparable to. im looking for a new tone ive been using the dimarzio x2n and emg 81's for years now i think i wanna try something new thats not a Duncan.

I have an alnico Warpig in my EC-400 right now. It is very articulate compared to any dimarzios, seymours, or other pickups that I have tried. There is also a lot of gain going on, but it doesn't get muddy. I do have a pretty hard time coaxing a good clean out of it, but I am playing through an ENGL E530, and I don't have another guitar or amp to compare it to. It could sound alot better on Fender style clean for all I know. For all out metal, Djent, and hard rock this thing is awesome. It handles drop tuning like a champ. Honestly though, I think I would get a better tone with a Painkiller. They say the Painkiller is best suited for all mahogany guitars, wich is what the EC-400 is. I have also played on a Cold Sweat, Nailbomb, and VHII. I would say the Cold Sweat has been my favorite to date. What kind of music do you play?

I had ceramic magnet Warpigs in a basswood guitar and it growled. It's the best bridge pickups I've ever had.

symbolic253":7hv3phm4 said:
anyone used it? whats it comparable to. im looking for a new tone ive been using the dimarzio x2n and emg 81's for years now i think i wanna try something new thats not a Duncan.
I don't know the x2n, but eq-wise it's polar opposite to the 81. I've never heard anything like the warpigs before. They have their own distinct sound. They have a very prominent low-mid grunt and big low end. The highs are surprisingly round too. Still pretty dynamic & clear considering how hot they are. Really cool sounding pickups. Compared to the alnico, the ceramic ones have the same basic vibe going on, but it's more compressed & the bass is tighter. The highs are sharper & it's got that ceramic "kerang" on the highs. Overall the mids & mid-growl aren't as prominent. It's a bit more saturated; you can hear the "hair" between the the notes as they compress together. Suprisingly dynamic too considering the heat also. Either one will definitely give a new & different tone than the 81's that's for sure.

I really only play fast tech death metal. But I do switch it up and play jazz and blues. But I never use a clean channel so I don't care about that one bit. I think I might have to try this pickup when I get some cash and throw it in my model 2 charvel.

If you only play fast tech-death I would look elsewhere. Not to say it can't do that style, but it's not what the warpig does best. Like the name suggests,(Black Sabbath's "Warpigs") I think it's more suited for doomy, groovy, sludgy stuff . It sounds awesome for Amon Amarth sounding stuff, Sabbath, Entombed, etc. but you really have to dial in your amp if you want it to be super tight.

My band is thrashy/melodic death and we require tight playing. My brother has an alnico warpig in his custom made mahogany guitar and it works, but I think that's because he uses a VHT UL which works well tightening up the warpig.

I have the C warpig in both my guitars... and it crushes. it is very bassy, but the bass remains tight. I sometimes kind of feel it's TOO MUCH (especialy with a Herbert) I'd like to try a alnico warpig someday. I loved killertone's video with the fortin evilpumpkin :rock:

or maybe cold sweats.. ;)

i really only play marshalls id love to own a deizel or something along the lines but im no way financially ever gunna get one i love my marshalls and my mxr 10 band. i dont like the doomy sludgey sounds. it sounds boring and gross to me. my x2n is a very tight punchy sound with tons of gain. maybe i shouldent mess with a good thing

Dehumanize":265k1c4w said:
I had ceramic magnet Warpigs in a basswood guitar and it growled. It's the best bridge pickups I've ever had.

man nice setup i love vader cabs ampeg vl1002 and chuck. im actully finishing my death tribute tattoo

Dehumanize":ov7psl0j said:

man nice setup i love vader cabs ampeg vl1002 and chuck. im actully finishing my death tribute tattoo

A friend had an Alnico Warpig in a LP custom. I wasn't a big fan of it. The Painkiller sounds incredible in my PRS SC250.
Is your PRS in standard E tuning?...How does it sound? I recently ordered a painkiller for my ESP eclipse and I really worried it would sound too thin, trebly and lack of bass in standard tuning or drop D. Thanks!

For fast tech death metal I would not choose a Warpig. For something recent made I’d say Lundgren M6 and if you want better tone than that I’d say early ‘80’s Bill Lawrence 500L or 510L or ‘70’s L90

Some lower output pickups can be cool too, but you may find you need to set up your amp a bit differently around them, but the benefit can be more detail/nuance in sound, which for me is worthwhile

Is your PRS in standard E tuning?...How does it sound? I recently ordered a painkiller for my ESP eclipse and I really worried it would sound too thin, trebly and lack of bass in standard tuning or drop D. Thanks!

You win the forum today for resurrecting a 14 year old thread! lol

That guitar is long gone, but yes it was in standard or half step down and drop D. The pain killer is a great pickup.

If you only play fast tech-death I would look elsewhere. Not to say it can't do that style, but it's not what the warpig does best. Like the name suggests,(Black Sabbath's "Warpigs") I think it's more suited for doomy, groovy, sludgy stuff . It sounds awesome for Amon Amarth sounding stuff, Sabbath, Entombed, etc. but you really have to dial in your amp if you want it to be super tight.

My band is thrashy/melodic death and we require tight playing. My brother has an alnico warpig in his custom made mahogany guitar and it works, but I think that's because he uses a VHT UL which works well tightening up the warpig.
This. It is not a tight metal pickup at all. It's got a really big low end and a lot of output. Forget about going direct if you plan to use it with amp sims. In my experience the lows overwhelm the interface input and make the tone muddy as hell. But it's a very cool growly sounding pickup if you have an amp that will get along with it. I've had sets of both the Alnico and Ceramic, and I preferred the ceramics.

Back