Bass tone

>|<>QBB<
Telephant":c7a50 said:
BTW, the Ampeg SVT is like heaviest (physically) of any amp Ive encountered. Though the Herbert may be up there.

Its ridiculous trying to lift an SVT on top of an 8x10.
Yes...but it rules over all bass heads! 8)

Bob, I remember you stating that plugins were not a consideratiom, but if you haven't really looked at the SVX plugin you should (10 day trial). I was dubious about it and with it's steep price tag, but this plugin is killer. the tones out of the SVX is very deep and wide. also, the compressor is excellent.

this is probably one of the best and most useful investments I've made in my studio in some time, but it's definitely not a one night stand

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":1a218 said:
So after various phases of trying to get a good bass tone, I've decided that the only way there is by micing a bass cab.

SOOOO... I've already got a Sansamp RBI which I really like, so I'm thinking of picking up a power amp and a bass cab and would like to see what kind of suggestions you guys who have put bass rigs together have.

I'm looking at bang for buck here. I don't want to skimp because I want a good bass tone, but what I want is to get right at that point where the law of diminishing returns begins.

What think ye?

Bob,

I've never had much luck getting a good bass tone by micing. The Sansamp RBI is a cool way to go. One trick you might want to try is running two inputs. I run one direct through the RBI and another through the preamp of the RBI (tone controls.) That way I can have one dry channel and one wet. After they are recorded, I eq them both and then blend to taste in the final mix. The dry (or direct) has more cut and sounds more vocal while the wet (through the pre section of the RBI) has more depth and natural sound. This setup works pretty well for me although I'm not yet completley satisfied (never will be) with the end result...a work in progress. :)

>|<>QBB<
Telephant":bbf39 said:
BTW, the Ampeg SVT is like heaviest (physically) of any amp Ive encountered. Though the Herbert may be up there.

Its ridiculous trying to lift an SVT on top of an 8x10.

True, but its worth it. My brother is playing bass in my new band and he's now got an SVT Classic stack w/ a J-bass. Its amazing how plug'n play that setup is and you've instantly got KICKASS tone.

>|<>QBB<
amiller":007e1 said:
>|<>QBB<

Bob,

I've never had much luck getting a good bass tone by micing. The Sansamp RBI is a cool way to go. One trick you might want to try is running two inputs. I run one direct through the RBI and another through the preamp of the RBI (tone controls.) That way I can have one dry channel and one wet. After they are recorded, I eq them both and then blend to taste in the final mix. The dry (or direct) has more cut and sounds more vocal while the wet (through the pre section of the RBI) has more depth and natural sound. This setup works pretty well for me although I'm not yet completley satisfied (never will be) with the end result...a work in progress. :)

What do you think of this bass sound? It's the SVT and direct.

http://junk.bobsavage.net/01-06-2006MKIV_SVT_backing.mp3

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":c69c6 said:
>|<>QBB<

I see you definitely like a little bit of break up to your bass tone.

I'm really digging the tone I got on this clip. I have the fix the playing in some spots though. I back to being the bass player of the band.

http://furiosity.net/music/basswait.mp3

a 2x10 and 1x15 cab would be sweet

i can't tell ya much as far as power amps go tho...my band actually uses a 700w per side PA poweramp on the bass rig, and it works surprisingly well (we're using a QSC rmx series btw)

i'm not very up to date on bass gear prices really, so i don't know what specifically would be worth checkin out in your price range...just thought i'd share my experience, if it's any help

i like modelers for bass tones...but know that's not what you're looking for; here's what our bass recordings sound like (you hear it best near the end...) http://disvisioned.net/clips/cobrahead_3amp_misery.mp3

>|<>QBB<
cobrahead1030":b7f1f said:
a 2x10 and 1x15 cab would be sweet

i can't tell ya much as far as power amps go tho...my band actually uses a 700w per side PA poweramp on the bass rig, and it works surprisingly well (we're using a QSC rmx series btw)

i'm not very up to date on bass gear prices really, so i don't know what specifically would be worth checkin out in your price range...just thought i'd share my experience, if it's any help

i like modelers for bass tones...but know that's not what you're looking for; here's what our bass recordings sound like (you hear it best near the end...) http://disvisioned.net/clips/cobrahead_3amp_misery.mp3

The bass sounds great. What did you use?

thanx

warwick rockbass into a behringer bass v-amp pro...initially just a strong clean tone, then the overdrive/grittiness was added with PSP MixBass plugin

poor man's bass rig

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":db4a2 said:
>|<>QBB<

It sounds cool by it's self, however, in a full mix with distorted guitars and vocals I'm afraid it wouldn't work for the style of music I've been recording lately...it would get lost in the mix.

In an instrument type of song I think it would work a bit better...more room for it.

>|<>QBB<
amiller":641db said:
>|<>QBB<

It sounds cool by it's self, however, in a full mix with distorted guitars and vocals I'm afraid it wouldn't work for the style of music I've been recording lately...it would get lost in the mix.

In an instrument type of song I think it would work a bit better...more room for it.

Have you listened to it with the MKIV? There's a thread here with a clip... find my threads, and there it shall be...

Definatly check out those Shadowski Pre's, those are AWESOME! I've got a friend who has several hand built custom basses (One of them is a KL i know) and he uses a Shadowski Pre and has an fucking great tone.

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":4db56 said:
>|<>QBB<

Have you listened to it with the MKIV? There's a thread here with a clip... find my threads, and there it shall be...

Yep, I did give the clip with the MKIV a listen...really cool guitar work. The bass at times almost has a cool Billy Sheehan(sp) vibe to it and works well in the context of that clip.

I guess I'm just focused in on a particular sound I'm trying to get. I've written a current radio rock kinda song with vocals, harmonies and lots of distorted guitars. I'm after a bass sound the will drive the rhythm and vibrate your chest a higher volumns and yet still have definition. :?

>|<>QBB<
amiller":e831e said:
>|<>QBB<

Yep, I did give the clip with the MKIV a listen...really cool guitar work. The bass at times almost has a cool Billy Sheehan(sp) vibe to it and works well in the context of that clip.

I guess I'm just focused in on a particular sound I'm trying to get. I've written a current radio rock kinda song with vocals, harmonies and lots of distorted guitars. I'm after a bass sound the will drive the rhythm and vibrate your chest a higher volumns and yet still have definition. :?

Cool, I was wondering what you were going to say, since I think it sounds pretty good. :D

I definitely understand what you're saying about focusing on the sound you're trying to get. The somewhat distorted bass sound definitely isn't for everybody.

Back