Be deluxe mod with Dave vid

cragginshrd

Drove the LA and got to meet with Dave Friedman in person to mod my BE dlx to my taste. Funny how I'm getting a few comments on my YT page asking why I would do this? I'm certain I've never heard one comment here about the factory BE voicing being raw opr pen to cut in a mix. In any case this vid allows you to hear the 3 voicings I now have on tap -Be, Raw and more mids and more Raw and crazy mids. I prefer the 2nd voicing. Enjoy!

I will add, sitting with Dave was an insanely cool experience. As others had said his shop is in a bad part of No Ho (N. Hollywood). I walk in and there are box's everywhere from guys who shipped their heads in for mods or work to be done. There were 2 other techs in his shop also working on heads. The guy to my right was working on 2 JJ 100w heads owned by one of the smashing pumpkins guitarist. So the shop is the go to place for amp work in LA.

Seeing Dave with a soldering iron and doing his thing was very cool. At one point he had to get pencil and paper and give himself a visual of what he set out to do -put a new 3 way switch in with 3 different resistors proving the voicing. Through the process he was using jumper clips to allow me to A/B voicings. Some were drastic and clear what I wanted others were less so and harder to choose.

The BE Dlx and nabbed used was a like new 2020 and according to Dave did not have some features in the base circuit that the newest ones have so fixing that was what I meant in this video when I said the 'stock BE tone is altered'.

Lastly, it was a bit awkward when we first plugged it in because Dave switched on the c45 and said 'this has less compression and slightly more gain' I say 'not to my ears'....... he shrugs and we move on. My point is what pretty much everyone on the forums and my other friends who own the BE agree on is the factory voicing is what Dave likes and despite the newer ones being voiced more open, they are still too smooth and compressed. In any case this was an experience of a lifetime and I am very pleased with the outcome tonally speaking!

2nd vid

I will add, sitting with Dave was an insanely cool experience. As others had said his shop is in a bad part of No Ho (N. Hollywood). I walk in and there are box's everywhere from guys who shipped their heads in for mods or work to be done. There were 2 other techs in his shop also working on heads. The guy to my right was working on 2 JJ 100w heads owned by one of the smashing pumpkins guitarist. So the shop is the go to place for amp work in LA.

Seeing Dave with a soldering iron and doing his thing was very cool. At one point he had to get pencil and paper and give himself a visual of what he set out to do -put a new 3 way switch in with 3 different resistors proving the voicing. Through the process he was using jumper clips to allow me to A/B voicings. Some were drastic and clear what I wanted others were less so and harder to choose.

The BE Dlx and nabbed used was a like new 2020 and according to Dave did not have some features in the base circuit that the newest ones have so fixing that was what I meant in this video when I said the 'stock BE tone is altered'.

Lastly, it was a bit awkward when we first plugged it in because Dave switched on the c45 and said 'this has less compression and slightly more gain' I say 'not to my ears'....... he shrugs and we move on. My point is what pretty much everyone on the forums and my other friends who own the BE agree on is the factory voicing is what Dave likes and despite the newer ones being voiced more open, they are still too smooth and compressed. In any case this was an experience of a lifetime and I am very pleased with the outcome tonally speaking!

2nd vid

Sounds great!

One head there should be mine.

I built a Metro 18 watt TMB that I wired beautifully and it works and isn't noisy.
Heyboer transformers, Synergy Royal Mustard caps...

However, the MV kinda sucks, its tremendously bright/ strident.
And like a Fender HotRod, as soon as you crack the volume its peeling paint.

Got hold of Dave, he asked for a schematic and pic of guts.
He'll take care of everything and add a loop.
Said he can make supercool!

You have / had the Alta too right? I feel like there would be a lot fo overlap between the two but I've only owned and tried the BE Deluxe

You have / had the Alta too right? I feel like there would be a lot fo overlap between the two but I've only owned and tried the BE Deluxe
Yes, still do. The Alta still has more upper mid Kerrang which I dig for some stuff. But adding the Brite caps is a pretty big jump and can be a bit much and a little thin. Overall the new voicing on my BE Dlxe is more vintage and easier to tame so to speak. It seems perfect although I will gig with the Alta this year too. I feel like it will be better indoors and the Friedman sounds a little bigger so to speak and will be better for outdoor gigs

Good stuff. Personal hobby trips like that are the best. Taking a gear run to a different level!

I was working in the Santa Monica and Burbank areas last year. I thought it would be cool to stay in North Hollywood. No!! Very sketchy!!

Good stuff. Personal hobby trips like that are the best. Taking a gear run to a different level!

I was working in the Santa Monica and Burbank areas last year. I thought it would be cool to stay in North Hollywood. No!! Very sketchy!!
Familiar with Commerce, Ca? I had to drive from No Ho to there where BAD is located to get the smaller shell I loaded the 100w Dlxe chassis into. That was the worst part of the driving but I never got into actual stopped traffic just slow moving for about 20 mins with all the Freeway interchanges

Why does Dave just a raw brighter high gain amp like this . It seems he mods his own models constantly. Especially to be brighter rawer . I’d probably buy that

@RedPlated Dave put some resistors on the 3 way switch then, bypassed something at the grid plate, biased it hotter and did a couple of others things that were above my paygrade .

Familiar with Commerce, Ca? I had to drive from No Ho to there where BAD is located to get the smaller shell I loaded the 100w Dlxe chassis into. That was the worst part of the driving but I never got into actual stopped traffic just slow moving for about 20 mins with all the Freeway interchanges
Fortunately not :). L.A. traffic is as advertised. Fun to visit the area, but living there would take its toll.

Why does Dave just a raw brighter high gain amp like this . It seems he mods his own models constantly. Especially to be brighter rawer . I’d probably buy that
He seemed surprised at what I wanted him to do, to me that means he is not aware that 99/100 people think the BE needs to get a mid shift and raw voicing. He likes the c45 too, which to people I know that have tried that function don't use it, same here -ever.

Last edited:
Drove the LA and got to meet with Dave Friedman in person to mod my BE dlx to my taste. Funny how I'm getting a few comments on my YT page asking why I would do this? I'm certain I've never heard one comment here about the factory BE voicing being raw opr pen to cut in a mix. In any case this vid allows you to hear the 3 voicings I now have on tap -Be, Raw and more mids and more Raw and crazy mids. I prefer the 2nd voicing. Enjoy!

Definitely less polished, less compression and more raw and open...........very nice. I knew Dave could make the changes for you!

Sounds nice!

Thanks for the update!

He seemed surprised at what I wanted hi to do, to me that means he is not aware that 99/100 people think the BE needs to get a mid shift and raw voicing. He likes the c45 too, which to people I know that have tried that function don't use it, same here -ever.
I’ve heard him on tone talk speak of this topic. He said people complain his amps are too dark .when he said that I’m like why not make us one

Definitely less polished, less compression and more raw and open...........very nice. I knew Dave could make the changes for you!

Sounds nice!

Thanks for the update!
You got it bro, I had to look back at who chimed in on the last thread, thanks for the advice! It was a leap of faith so to speak but I was confident Dave could do it!

No one asked me what he charged, guess???

You got it bro, I had to look back at who chimed in on the last thread, thanks for the advice! It was a leap of faith so to speak but I was confident Dave could do it!

No one asked me what he charged, guess???
As long as the amp sounds the way you want it to is all that counts........I bet Dave was pretty fair charging for the work, I would imagine $100 an hour would be a fair rate IMHO.

If the mods make you want to play the amp more and gives you the sounds you want to hear.......= Worth every penny!

As long as the amp sounds the way you want it to is all that counts........I bet Dave was pretty fair charging for the work, I would imagine $100 an hour would be a fair rate IMHO.

If the mods make you want to play the amp more and gives you the sounds you want to hear.......= Worth every penny!
Agreed and it does! At the end he asks 'what time did we start'? 10:30 done at 12pm $100!!! My jawed dropped and I say 'OK"!
He forgot to bring me a shell and only had a purple one, so he shows e a pic of the snakeskin one and says 'this is normally $380 but I will give it to your for $320! The kicker was i had to drive to BAD to get it, I think that's why he gave me the break

I had fully expected to pay close to a grand for everything and been stoked. Keep in mind I lost a grand on the Wizard MC II sale a couple of months ago so to end up happy with the tone I want is worth it

Back