Beginner Sweeping

Spaceboy

I'm looking for some simple arpeggios and exercises for sweep picking. What's some of the best lessons around? There's buckets of them on popular websites like Ultimate-Guitar, often plagiarized or written by fifteen year-olds who just learned the technique, and aren't in a position to be writing online lessons. Even though there seems to be a general intolerance for mindless shredding as displayed in the other thread on sweep picking, it's a useful skill, especially for the metalheads.

I stayed out of the other conversation as I think regarding any technique as not worthy to learn shows your lack of desire to master the instrument. Sweep picking is used in a lot of styles of music and can be very tasty when used correctly. (That only means tasty to the listener), since what I like somebody else may not.

I would grab some videos that are out there, Paul Gilbert, Rusty Cooley, Frank Gambale all have videos that touch on some great techniques to learn and master sweep picking.

Hope that helps some. :thumbsup:

Serrana by Jason Becker is what kicked my ass into overdrive when I wanted to brushup on my sweeping. I highly recommend learning it because it will show you all the valid sweeping shapes and how to divide the arps into triplets which most runs are based on....then once you master that you can go on into sixteenth note arps like say Petrucci. While on Petrucci, I also highly recommend to be able to alternate pick you arps also as fast as you can but cleanly of course...once you start to get sloppy stop at that speed. Better to do it slower and cleaner than faster and sloppy. This REALLY helps with your sweeping after as you will see. Oh yeah, don't tickle the strings either when you sweep!!! Alot of players make this mistake when they start learning this technique. :thumbsup:

P.S. Paul is amazing at alternate picking, string skipping and 2 note per string picked arps....Rusty Cooley, I said it before and I`ll say it again IMO sucks! Blender muzak. lol anyways.... Frank Gambale....AMAZING!! A true master of the technique.

Habuman":1pny2sak said:
ttosh":1pny2sak said:
I stayed out of the other conversation as I think regarding any technique as not worthy to learn shows your lack of desire to master the instrument. Sweep picking is used in a lot of styles of music and can be very tasty when used correctly. (That only means tasty to the listener), since what I like somebody else may not.

I would grab some videos that are out there, Paul Gilbert, Rusty Cooley, Frank Gambale all have videos that touch on some great techniques to learn and master sweep picking.

Most videos only will show the pattern fast and then slow, and then say something like remember to sweep the strings, don't pick. :doh: Got that and understand that but would like to find a video that actually gives you music or excercises to play over once you think you have the technique down. I just can't get the notes connected to flow smoothly even after watching those videos you recommended.

Any ideas?

If you have went through videos and have sweeping techniques that are not flowing smoothly the only thing left to do IMHO is practice. Work on them, analyze what is not smooth, the upwards sweep, downwards sweep, are you not muting effectively, etc.... Not much help but you are the only one who can analyze your flaws unless you seek out an instructor or have somebody else analyze for you.

Habuman":3cow1m8w said:
ttosh":3cow1m8w said:

Most videos only will show the pattern fast and then slow, and then say something like remember to sweep the strings, don't pick. :doh: Got that and understand that but would like to find a video that actually gives you music or excercises to play over once you think you have the technique down. I just can't get the notes connected to flow smoothly even after watching those videos you recommended.

Any ideas?
Are you talking about connecting the notes in the arp or connecting different arps together?

Habuman":2dm5aq5t said:
War Admiral":2dm5aq5t said:
Habuman":2dm5aq5t said:
ttosh":2dm5aq5t said:

Any ideas?
Are you talking about connecting the notes in the arp or connecting different arps together?

Sorry about that, to clarify: I know the notes on the guitar for the arp sweeps, etc. Just cannot make it sound or feel the way it should. Could be my technique, pick position, or .....................................

I need what ttosh recommended I think. Get a teacher or just have some analyse my technique.

Thanks.

This will help you greatly, I have a friend that I get with weekly and we are both totally different styles of guitar players. I am more of an alternate picker/sweep picker and he is more of a legato type player. We try to help each other with technique and other issues in our playing and share. This has helped me a lot, sweep picking is frustrating at times because you need to do quite a few things well to make it sound good and tempo is everything once your technique is there keeping the tempo is major to making the sweep sound good.

I am sure you will get it figured out, it is not an easy technique to learn but once you get good at it, you can have a lot of fun applying it and learning others stuff where sweeping is required becomes accessible.

Good luck!!!

Habuman":3vjb53gz said:
War Admiral":3vjb53gz said:
Habuman":3vjb53gz said:
ttosh":3vjb53gz said:

Any ideas?

Sorry about that, to clarify: I know the notes on the guitar for the arp sweeps, etc. Just cannot make it sound or feel the way it should. Could be my technique, pick position, or .....................................

I need what ttosh recommended I think. Get a teacher or just have some analyse my technique.

Thanks.
This is what you have to do my friend to make your sweeps flow. Its the most boring thing there is but totally essential for them to work...get a metronome and work on your divisions!! Start with dividing all your arp shapes into triplets...you have to do this. Take you favourite arp shapes and make sure they divide up into 3's, it doesn't matter if it starts or finishes on a 1, 3 or 5 of the arp. I'm assuming you know how a basic arpeggio is constructed-intervals are 1 3 5 and their notes, if you don't, learn it! :)

EX. in Am....A, C and E equals 1 3 5 then repeats of course depending on how many octaves you want to take your sweep.
But for now...pick your favourite shapes and make sure they divide up properly.

EX. start with a 3 string arp like 14 fret on the G string-13th fret on the b string-12th fret on the e string and 17th fret on the e string. A minor. Picking pattern...down-down-down which is your first triplet 1 2 3 on the metronome then you start your descent with the 17th fret with an upstroke for you next 1 2 3 triplet on the metronome. So your second triplet picking pattern is up-pulloff-up. This is where you make it or break it...you have to then lift your pick up and cross the G string and attack it with a downstroke to start your next triplet pattern again on the 1. Get this rolling smoothly as a 123, 123, 123 pattern accenting the 1 all the time with a metronome on the click. Once you have the pattern memorized set the metronome at a slow tempo and bring it up gradually when you have each tempo mastered. You have to start over like this if you want to do them 5 and 6 string smooth sweeps!!!!

OK get at it and master this 3 string sweep and get back to me...once you get this you are more than half way there man! I promise!! We'll move on to 5 string sweeps and then 6 later. :yes:

P.S. Remember not to tickle the strings with your pick...be quite forceful with your strokes but not so that your picking hand cramps of course. Push through each string...start slow with the pick always resting on the next string that you have to push through. This is called the rest stroke. You have to have this basic technique down before you start sweeping all over the place in a continual motion. Thats why you will have to start very slow on the metronome first to get this right.
This is by far imo the best way to hold a pick that will get you through all this craziness...check it out! If you have any questions, shoot. My name is Chris btw.

I remember that first accidental sweep that actually sounded right. Not too long ago. So i am basically one of those assheaded newbs that show off. Reading Ywengwie books though has given me an appreciation of the theory, and the realization that it could be overused. But I Still suck at it after a couple years, hasen't improved at all despite it being my most favored technique...

I read Something valuable the other day in a friends guitar technique book that beginers should know, and it reminds me that first time I frustratingly let a few sweeps out. It said something about finding it easier practicing sweeps at mid tempo rather than slow, and that definetly is the case. Cant tell the number of people I see practicing their sweep at slow 80 bpm and it ends up showing when they try to play it. Gotta have some balls and push that wrist all the way across and back.
Getting it smooth and enunciated is the trial.
Basically I would say to someone interested in sweeps is find chords that you like that have one note on each string. Then use the sweep motion to appergiate. Also the bar sweeps are WAY harder to master correctly, so I would advise staying away from those if you can.
A good one to master because it is so versatile and easy, that does not fit this description is E 12-15 B 14 G 12-15 and back again so you hit the G string twice and tap on the high E string, but it starts getting at how a sweep is supposed to sound and feel. You dont even need to use the wrist motion on this one.
Sorry if this is useless knowledge, but if helpful, I could give a host of excersizes that I figured out for myself. THe best part, is there are loads of ways to get the same sweep (chord) that fits your preferred finger motion, and it takes a good bit of practice and commitment.

It does seem a little easier to attempt sweeping at mid tempo but like anything, slowing down, your basic flaws are amplified and doesn't get any better when you try to play faster. Anything will sound better played cleanly slower than something played faster sloppy...I hope we all agree on this.
I know it truly sucks but you have to be able to do something slow and deliberate before you can fly off and nail a sweep at 200bpm'or more. :cry: :D

ttosh and War Admiral are saying the same things my guitar instructor says, when I am able to get a time where I can stop in.

Learn the arp, break it into pieces, incorporate smaller rakes of shapes, use metronome for ALL practicing, and record ALL practicing.

The recording part will help you improve more than anything. It may be humbling but you also have no doubt about what you need to work on. You can email the practice session mp3 files to your instructor when out of town so you can be learning no matter what.

Record a few drunk. You play much better wasted. Right??

Chris,

Great post, I have all of Paul's Videos as he is the master of picking IMHO. For anybody that likes picking that is a good video to watch, his videos have sections on arpeggios and sweep picking as well. I looked on youtube but could not find it at first glance, however it may be out there.

If not buying the DVD is not a bad idea for any type of picking exercises, you can get his first two DVD's intense rock 1 and 2 on a single DVD that goes through some cool stuff. You will have to put up with the 80s cheese part of them, but I love them.

Thanks again Chris for the great post. You seem to be putting quite a few good posts up in this section.

War Admiral":1p10bzq7 said:
Habuman":1p10bzq7 said:
War Admiral":1p10bzq7 said:
Habuman":1p10bzq7 said:
ttosh":1p10bzq7 said:

Any ideas?

Thanks.
This is what you have to do my friend to make your sweeps flow. Its the most boring thing there is but totally essential for them to work...get a metronome and work on your divisions!! Start with dividing all your arp shapes into triplets...you have to do this. Take you favourite arp shapes and make sure they divide up into 3's, it doesn't matter if it starts or finishes on a 1, 3 or 5 of the arp. I'm assuming you know how a basic arpeggio is constructed-intervals are 1 3 5 and their notes, if you don't, learn it! :)

EX. in Am....A, C and E equals 1 3 5 then repeats of course depending on how many octaves you want to take your sweep.
But for now...pick your favourite shapes and make sure they divide up properly.

EX. start with a 3 string arp like 14 fret on the G string-13th fret on the b string-12th fret on the e string and 17th fret on the e string. A minor. Picking pattern...down-down-down which is your first triplet 1 2 3 on the metronome then you start your descent with the 17th fret with an upstroke for you next 1 2 3 triplet on the metronome. So your second triplet picking pattern is up-pulloff-up. This is where you make it or break it...you have to then lift your pick up and cross the G string and attack it with a downstroke to start your next triplet pattern again on the 1. Get this rolling smoothly as a 123, 123, 123 pattern accenting the 1 all the time with a metronome on the click. Once you have the pattern memorized set the metronome at a slow tempo and bring it up gradually when you have each tempo mastered. You have to start over like this if you want to do them 5 and 6 string smooth sweeps!!!!

OK get at it and master this 3 string sweep and get back to me...once you get this you are more than half way there man! I promise!! We'll move on to 5 string sweeps and then 6 later. :yes:

P.S. Remember not to tickle the strings with your pick...be quite forceful with your strokes but not so that your picking hand cramps of course. Push through each string...start slow with the pick always resting on the next string that you have to push through. This is called the rest stroke. You have to have this basic technique down before you start sweeping all over the place in a continual motion. Thats why you will have to start very slow on the metronome first to get this right.
This is by far imo the best way to hold a pick that will get you through all this craziness...check it out! If you have any questions, shoot. My name is Chris btw.

Race's 2 cents:

1. SLOW
2. Start with your basic chord shapes. I've found that the easiest are the 5-string minor chord shapes. (A#m, 12th fret, move up from there). Sweep it note for note SLOWLY down and up. As was noted by someone earlier, sweep, don't pick.
3. Work in different positions, say one up and one down.
4. Use a metronome!! Most problems with sweeping come in the form of someone hitting the first and the last note on tempo, but everything in the middle is off.
5. Again, as someone mentioned before, fret the notes, don't "tickle" the strings.
6. Do this all on a clean setting or unplugged. Do NOT start out using gobs of distortion. This makes you sloppy and reliant on the gain.
7. Start SLOWLY and work your speed up SLOWLY. This is extremely painful, but there's no "Wax on/Wax off" for sweeping.
8. Practice, practice, practice.
9. Did I mention SLOW?

Cheers,

I've been doing three-string sweeps to a metronome, unplugged for practice. I've got them decently smooth and fast enough in a short time, but of course will keep practicing. I'm going to look around for some easy four or five-string patterns to move towards, since I'm getting bored with three-string arpeggios.

Thanks guys! :rock:

Dehumanize":3br1inoz said:
I've been doing three-string sweeps to a metronome, unplugged for practice. I've got them decently smooth and fast enough in a short time, but of course will keep practicing. I'm going to look around for some easy four or five-string patterns to move towards, since I'm getting bored with three-string arpeggios.

Thanks guys! :rock:
Practicing unplugged is great! Before you get too bored with 3 string sweeps...I would highly recomend learning the arpeggio sequence just before the solo in Malmsteen's Demon Driver.

Then for a different twist learn the arpeggio sequence in Dream Theater's Glass Prison...once you can do these 2 examples up to tempo and clean then you can be bored and move on to 5 and 6 string sweeps! :D

You will have mastered 3 string sweeps imo after this. Happy shredding! :rock:

That Glass Prison arpeggio run is insane... I think I need some more practice before tackling that. :LOL: :LOL:

Back