Best value 7-string for the money?

Used KM7.

SS frets, 26.5" scale, ebony board, SDs, Hipshot bridge and locking tuners.

Hardware can be slightly wonky but it's like $5 for pots.

Best value is an Ibanez RG7620 (Floyd) or 7621 (hardtail), and considerably less than $800 (maybe $500ish in good shape, if that).

What type of 7 are you looking for? There are lots of options these days. Different scales. Some more traditional, some more of the metal-machine thing.

Just looking for opinions at the moment. I don't have a guitar with humbuckers right now, and figure if I'm going to do something thick sounding, why not go for a 7-string? :)

Something like the Epiphone Heafy sig might work for you: 7-string Les Paul is definitely something thick sounding with humbuckers. But if you're going to tune super low, might want something with a longer scale.

Agile makes some pretty decent stuff for the $, or if you can find a Guerilla. I just damn near gave mine away to help fund a guitar I'm building.

cardinal":rbo78a5g said:
Something like the Epiphone Heafy sig might work for you: 7-string Les Paul is definitely something thick sounding with humbuckers. But if you're going to tune super low, might want something with a longer scale.

Its 24.75" scale probably won't even intonate properly at B standard.

Dude if you're just getting your feet wet with a 7 grab this:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=183016

27" scale neckthru with a Floyd. Might have to change the pickups to suit you but for $300?! You can throw some Lundgrens in there and have a solid 7 that'll hold you over until you decide if you want to spend more $ on something higher end.

Tom is a good dude and packs like a motherfucker too.

Steinmetzify":361maq6s said:

27" scale neckthru with a Floyd. Might have to change the pickups to suit you but for $300?! You can throw some Lundgrens in there and have a solid 7 that'll hold you over until you decide if you want to spend more $ on something higher end.

+1, I had a very similar model that I sold for more locally, this is a great deal for a good looking and playing guitar.

godgrinder":2fy4fd10 said:
cardinal":2fy4fd10 said:

That's not true. People have been tuning six string Gibsons to B forever. I have two 7-string Les Paul's and both are monster guitars.

cardinal":3e2vkwxa said:
That's not true. People have been tuning six string Gibsons to B forever. I have two 7-string Les Paul's and both are monster guitars.

It can be done, but on shorter scales the higher order harmonics are out of tune even when the fundamental frequencies were tuned correctly. Which generally leads to intonation issues and a muddier tone. YMMV though, I have a friend that reckoned his 27" 7 string has too much clarity and preferred a 25.5" 7 string.

Steinmetzify":2su9aob3 said:

+2 Agile guitars are great for the money.

godgrinder":3p5j9evv said:
cardinal":3p5j9evv said:

It can be done, but on shorter scales the higher order harmonics are out of tune even when the fundamental frequencies were tuned correctly. Which generally leads to intonation issues and a muddier tone. YMMV though, I have a friend that reckoned his 27" 7 string has too much clarity and preferred a 25.5" 7 string.

I just play the things and think they sound great. The tone and feel is different for the different scales. I've had everything ranging from 27" to 24.75". One man's "muddy" I guess is another man's thick and warm. But it's easy to just tune any six string Gibson to B and see what you think.

No offense to the seller but IMO Agile are dogballs. Sure for $300 it's ok but I'd spend a little more and get the 7620 any day of the week. Mostly because of the neck but also I had one with a Nazgul and it didn't sound all that great either.

The KM as mentioned seems cool although I've never played one or you could probably find a PRS SE Custom 24 for under $500.

LTD 417 is pretty awesome and can be had for even less but the neck was just a smidgeon too fat for me. I'm fairly picky though.

One thing I would also say is that I would definitely want to at least try out a JP70 if I was in the market for a $700 7 string.

cardinal":ezam2052 said:
godgrinder":ezam2052 said:
cardinal":ezam2052 said:

This!

Pffft...won't intonate properly...who says Gibsons intonate properly in the first place :D jk

Back