best way to get Gilmour's comfortably numb sound?

Pretty sure Gilmour uses a Leslie or Leslie-type effect for the modulation. Don't think a chorus will be the same. You could get close though with a good analog chorus mix set to low. That's the key, just enough of the effect, but not too much that it's obvious.

Boss RT-20 does a decent job on the Leslie stuff. Strymon Lex is probably pretty awesome too

Wasn't the solo on that done with a Les Paul also ? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere once...

It's should all be in that Gilmourish.com link I posted above. Guy is crazy detailed when it comes to album specific gear. It mentions the Uni-vibe, EHX electric mistress and he definitely used a leslie 900 on DSOTM in spots.

Here's one for the album - http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=16

sixstringking713":30n1s0iq said:
best way to get Gilmour's comfortably numb sound? what chorus pedal?

youtube floyd cover vids

find the best sounding vid and check out what gear is being used

works for me :thumbsup:

definitely that site, but would be surprised if the amp is not a hi-watt with clean-crunch transition and a good fuzz pedal of which he used many....

debating between a univibe type pedal or a chorus pedal..

what pedal do you think is the most versatile?

already have custom shop reissue script phase 90 and a normal mxr flanger. looking for a chorus/univibe type mod pedal to cover gilmour

I had a Dunlop Rotovibe, it was ok...now I have a Fulltone Deja Vibe and I like it a lot. A Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe is up for sale on my local CL, 450 bucks...

Go ahead and buy all his gear. It may help but probably won't. This is from a recent article on Mark Knopfler "David was doing a gig somewhere for a charity and there were a number of musicians invited. He had brought all his gear, which you can imagine is quite sophisticated and designed to give him that signature Pink Floyd sound (most professional guitar players have their unique rigs built to achieve this for their live performances).

Well, Knopfler had showed up for the show with only his guitar and asked David if he could borrow his rig and amps to play out of. David said, of course but sat with his guitar tech, Phil Taylor, watching as both worried that Knopfler couldn’t help but sound like David Gilmour/Pink Floyd, and how weird that might be.

Ted Nugent also said the same thing the 1st time he played with Van Halen they each played each others rig same result they sound like themselves.

Mrhiwatt

But low and behold, as Mark started to play, somehow he sounded exactly like Mark Knopfler! Both David and Phil were flabbergasted—“how is he doing that??!!” As time went on they began to see how so much of Knopfler’s sound is, indeed, in his fingers and in his unique finger picking style.

Our discussion about players and their sounds came full circle, as this incident had proven once and for all, that while the gear can help enhance one’s style and sound, the true personality of the player overrides all by the art form that each player brings to the instrument with their fingers.

mrhiwatt":3s5sxpb6 said:
Go ahead and buy all his gear. It may help but probably won't. This is from a recent article on Mark Knopfler "David was doing a gig somewhere for a charity and there were a number of musicians invited. He had brought all his gear, which you can imagine is quite sophisticated and designed to give him that signature Pink Floyd sound (most professional guitar players have their unique rigs built to achieve this for their live performances).

Well, Knopfler had showed up for the show with only his guitar and asked David if he could borrow his rig and amps to play out of. David said, of course but sat with his guitar tech, Phil Taylor, watching as both worried that Knopfler couldn’t help but sound like David Gilmour/Pink Floyd, and how weird that might be.

Ted Nugent also said the same thing the 1st time he played with Van Halen they each played each others rig same result they sound like themselves.

Mrhiwatt

But low and behold, as Mark started to play, somehow he sounded exactly like Mark Knopfler! Both David and Phil were flabbergasted—“how is he doing that??!!” As time went on they began to see how so much of Knopfler’s sound is, indeed, in his fingers and in his unique finger picking style.

Our discussion about players and their sounds came full circle, as this incident had proven once and for all, that while the gear can help enhance one’s style and sound, the true personality of the player overrides all by the art form that each player brings to the instrument with their fingers.

Yes, and if you do not master how Gilmour bends up into notes during chord changes (ie Time Solo) the gear won't do anything for you.

mdc1mdc11":1n5wr2r6 said:
mrhiwatt":1n5wr2r6 said:

Mrhiwatt

Yes, and if you do not master how Gilmour bends up into notes during chord changes (ie Time Solo) the gear won't do anything for you.

I heard the VH/nugent story before and I know it's mostly in your playing style.

I'm aware the gear doesnt make you the player.

That being said, I still want a chorus/univibe pedal to get me that "sound" closer to gilmour's style. Do any of you have the MXR Univibe? Thoughts on it?

Here's a link to the performance video of the second solo that's part of my lessons on both Comfortably Numb solos. I'm just using some digital delay (Nova System through the loop) and the amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPy_JGB2fcU

I'm not saying that I've nailed DG's sound at all, the point is that I believe that 90% of it is how you play. If you have time read the Phil Taylor quote I put in the description box of the video. It pretty well says it all..

I have a Reeves Custom 50, Buffalo TD-X (Tube Driver Clone), a muff and an old Boss CE-2 and it gets very close.

Gilmour used all of the above. A Strat with the right pickups is important!

Back