Best way to ship an amp

OK guys. This could be informative and helpful for a lot of people.

What's the best way to ship an amp?

- Self box? or use have a shipping store box it for you?

- Take the tubes out? or leave them in?

- Which delivery service?

Thanks?

I pack it myself. A box thats a couple inches bigger on each side. I wrap the amp in 4mil plastic, then use sheets of styrofoam insulation cut to fit the box to pack around the amp. I don't take out the tubes unless the buyer requests.

I've used UPS, FedEx, and USPS for amps, none seem better than the others.

audiomichael":3mhhwk7l said:
OK guys. This could be informative and helpful for a lot of people.

What's the best way to ship an amp?

- Self box? or use have a shipping store box it for you?

- Take the tubes out? or leave them in?

- Which delivery service?

Thanks?

I used to double box, but if your single box is strong enough, I don't see the need to unless you want to get raped on weight. Just make sure you pad up the inside good enough.. I usually would never have the shipping store box anything, you will end up paying ~$200 in fees/shipping to do so.

I leave tubes in, unless buyer requests to have them boxed separately.

Fedex for me. UPS rips you off and damages shit.

best way is too only have padding/support on the corners or end of the head box.

tubes out is maybe a good idea if the amp doesn't have tube retainers.

bubble wrap the living shit out of the amp is ok, but the end support is better.

psychodave":32rwcvms said:
Tight box around the amp. 2 small foam supports on the bottom (to lift the amp up a little). Fill all gaps on the bottom, sides and top with expanding foam. Close box asap and tape shut...even use twine to keep box shape. Now the amp has its own heavy duty foam shell that cost less than $10.

Awesome idea!

Probably best to use a foam that was made in the last 20 years.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-01-27 at 12.22.50 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-01-27 at 12.22.50 PM.png
    152.5 KB · Views: 2,031
I've shipped a ton of amps and find the method I use has been flawless for Amps. Wrap in large bubble wrap, not the small crap, I mean lots of it around and around so the thing floats on air on all sides. Wrap it tight and box tape it up. Double protection would be to wrap in a blanket first and then bubble wrap. Buy a 27Inch TV Box from Uhaul and cut it to fit. That box is thick as you will find. I have shipped heads and combos with this method and never had any trouble. UPS works for me. Shipping outlets charge a fortune to pack and ship. Get yourself an occasional shipper account with UPS and you can print your own labels off of the website and they send you a bill.

I have always self boxed...much cheaper, plus I know i did a good job. I don't really double box just make sure you wrap in large bubble wrap a couple times over, and have 3-4 inches to spare around the whole thing for popcorn. I do take the tubes out and usually bubble them too and tape them to the inside of the headshell.

Oh....and FEDex.

Without getting into specific packing. I double box. I have been inside a UPS Hub. You must pack well enough for the amp to take a drop of 12-15 feet. Sometimes the packages back up on the conveyor and when this happens it forces the front packages off the side. It's just the way it works with the conveyor systems.

glip22":16v8n2zw said:
Without getting into specific packing. I double box. I have been inside a UPS Hub. You must pack well enough for the amp to take a drop of 12-15 feet. Sometimes the packages back up on the conveyor and when this happens it forces the front packages off the side. It's just the way it works with the conveyor systems.
You can't pack an amp for a drop of 12 -15 feet...that's a really crappy system they have there.
They can't put rails around it or at least a mattress on the floor to absorb some of the blow?

It sure is crappy. I did not see any rails. Just conveyors. I was told it doesn't happen too often.

If I can't use the original box, then I use big bubble wrap to fill the area. I then use high impact foam or thick stryfoam on the end caps.

Back