Biasing a Jose

H3000

I have a question about biasing a Jose amp that I have in my possesion.

I have had a few Camerons in the past 3 of which were CCV-100 and I always biased those at around 90 % plate dissapation simply because I was led to understand that Mark Camerons design was intended to be able to bias that hot due the screens seeing lower voltages.
but I dont know if that holds true to his Jose mod , the platform amp he modded is a JCM800 I do not want to bias it above 70% MPD and then cook something.
is there anyway I can tell if the amp is one of the mods that can safely go above 70% MPD

LP Freak":2e7uy2vz said:
Stick to 70% or below

why do you say that
do you know for a fact this amp is not the same as a ccv and therefore is not safe to go above 70% MPD and if you do know then can you tell me what to look for in the amp so I can confirm this for myself
I could be wrong but it seems to me that it should stand to reason that if Mark cameron made the CCV so it could be biased higher than 70% MPD then some of his modded Marshalls may well be the same and could possibly be able to stand the higher bias

H3000":3gn9nc0u said:
LP Freak":3gn9nc0u said:
Stick to 70% or below

why do you say that
do you know for a fact this amp is not the same as a ccv and therefore is not safe to go above 70% MPD and if you do know then can you tell me what to look for in the amp so I can confirm this for myself
I could be wrong but it seems to me that it should stand to reason that if Mark cameron made the CCV so it could be biased higher than 70% MPD then some of his modded Marshalls may well be the same and could possibly be able to stand the higher bias
Never mind you're right. Set the bias at 90% and let me know how that works out for you.

LP Freak":1jg1mbgs said:
H3000":1jg1mbgs said:
LP Freak":1jg1mbgs said:
Stick to 70% or below

why do you say that
Never mind you're right. Set the bias at 90% and let me know how that works out for you.

It was a straightforward question and I was just asking based on your reply which was "stick to 70% " if you knew for definite and obviously from your reply you do not know the answer.
I could of drawn the same conclusion that it us safer to stick the 70% rule given the fact that I do not know but that is why my question was quite specific and I asked... is there anyway I can tell if the amp is one of the mods that can safely go above 70% MPD

your answer stick to 70% does not quite cover the answer I was looking for and I do not see why you are acting like a knob with your comment Set the bias at 90% and let me know how that works out for you.
I am looking for specific advice not speculation or a guess and because you do not have the answer this makes you butthurt ?

Who led you to understand it could be biased over 70%? Was it this guy?

eGtxZTR4MTI_o_saturday-night-live-jon-lovitz-as-tommy-flanagan.jpg

stratotone":vakdo465 said:
Who led you to understand it could be biased over 70%? Was it this guy?

eGtxZTR4MTI_o_saturday-night-live-jon-lovitz-as-tommy-flanagan.jpg

no one has led me to understand that about a Cameron Jose
However .... The cameron CCV can definitely be safely biased way over 70 % MPD and actually sounds better biased at 90% and thats not speculation its a fact the CCV can be safely biased at 90% and higher

so I wanted to know if its possible that a cameron modded marshall might have been modded for the same thing and I wanted to know how to tell if the Jose has been modded to be biased safely at over 70%

H3000":1wqyxmu2 said:
LP Freak":1wqyxmu2 said:
H3000":1wqyxmu2 said:
LP Freak":1wqyxmu2 said:
Stick to 70% or below

why do you say that

It was a straightforward question and I was just asking based on your reply which was "stick to 70% " if you knew for definite and obviously from your reply you do not know the answer.
I could of drawn the same conclusion that it us safer to stick the 70% rule given the fact that I do not know but that is why my question was quite specific and I asked... is there anyway I can tell if the amp is one of the mods that can safely go above 70% MPD

your answer stick to 70% does not quite cover the answer I was looking for and I do not see why you are acting like a knob with your comment Set the bias at 90% and let me know how that works out for you.
I am looking for specific advice not speculation or a guess and because you do not have the answer this makes you butthurt ?
You're right again.... I'm a noob and my but hurts. In fact, I've never heard of a Jose, a CCV, or this Mark guy you refer to.

LP Freak":1rljkps2 said:
H3000":1rljkps2 said:
H3000":1rljkps2 said:
Stick to 70% or below

why do you say that

You're right again.... I'm a noob and my but hurts. In fact, I've never heard of a Jose, a CCV, or this Mark guy you refer to.

I could care less to be honest and just to be clear I did not say you are a noob I said you are acting like a KNOB
perhaps some else that does know for definite will have an answer

Just read the voltage across the screens. Mark never mentioned anything ever to me about limiting the voltages to the screens. Not even in the CCV. I'll call him and ask him for you. He usually calls me back but I know he is very busy right now :D

glip22":288xj8v4 said:
Just read the voltage across the screens. Mark never mentioned anything ever to me about limiting the voltages to the screens. Not even in the CCV. I'll call him and ask him for you. He usually calls me back but I know he is very busy right now :D
Pft...he answers on the first ring when I call. ;)

LP Freak":2dbc7zkn said:
glip22":2dbc7zkn said:
Pft...he answers on the first ring when I call. ;)
We are having tea and crumpets together right now......call back later.

You really know calling is not the way to reach him. BTW what is your PV in this Jose amp you haves in your possession?

glip22":u0noeyxq said:
You really know calling is not the way to reach him. BTW what is your PV in this Jose amp you haves in your possession?
I know....he likes to be reached by Beeper. Told him to turn it off. Tea is best drank hot.
No need for bothersomes

glip22":336112zf said:
He's got a Jose modded PV? Interesting. :confused:

The CCv is a ground up build, the Jose is built on a Marshall platform with some component swaps and usually using stock transformers. I would stick with lp freaks suggestion.

glip22":2ftoh9vr said:

It is a 50 watt JCM 800 and the plate voltages are 500 volts

Back