Blasphemy?

'63-Strat

I'm thinking of souping up my tele a bit. For reference it's a '63 custom shop closet classic that I got used, slapped some jumbo frets on it as soon as I got it. I like the stock CS '63 pickups in it for some things but not so much for others. Thinking of possibly routing it for a neck humbucker (was thinking a '59 as I consistently like those) and figured if I was doing that anyways, possibly a single sized bridge humbucker, and some coil taps. I really like how the guitar sounds acoustically, and plays great, just find it's not quite translating that plugged in how I'd like at times. And if doing all that, maybe some compensated brass saddles :LOL: :LOL:

Part of me thinks this is wrong to do that to a guitar like this, but I'd probably end up using it a lot more live if I did. Here's a pic:

P1000435.jpg

I would go the warmoth route. just piece out what you like using this guitar as a reference. '63s in this condition are rare. and will only appreciate. If you put this one under the router, everything you like about this tele will change.

That is the collector in me talking.

The player in me is on the other shoulder saying try a stacked humbucker in the neck, like a Hot Rails, that way you can get a humbucker tone, but not have to go SUPER drastic on the body, and later it can be put back to stock!

Just for reference this is *not* an actual '63, it's a custom shop RI of a '63, so I dunno how much if at all, it'll appreciate. But yeah, a stacked neck humbucker would be a less invasive way to it, but I haven't played a stacked neck I've been blown away by yet. Oddly, I have played stacked bridge ones I liked though.

I'm sure a bridge bucker would sound righteous in my actual '63 strat for example, but I'd never rout that guitar.

This is a really cool neck pickup tone with those, but the guy is a great player. This gain link they posted sounds horrible though IMO. (Barden gatton t style in first vid and barden modern t style in one below).

Milerky2":2twdks0d said:
They were using that Super Champ for their Gain stuff... but I agree with you. I think he was also on the bridge, which was real piercing.

I have used this series on strat before, but I have yet to find a Seymour Duncan I didn't Like.
https://www.seymourduncan.com/products/e ... ils_for_t/

I don't think it's necessarily the pickup that's the problem in that vid, I'm sure they can sound great, just not in that vid. I think the hot rails are too aggressive for what I want with the ceramic magnet, though. I like the regular sized duncan '59 in pretty much every guitar I've played it in. They make a single coil sized lil '59 but not a tele neck version. They do have the classic stack pickup in tele neck size but I think I've played those before and wasn't blown away.

Basically I'd like to be able to get some thick neck bucker lead sounds and also some Mike Stern type clean tones out of the neck (he uses a '59 as well I believe). The barden neck one you mentioned may be the best route for not routing the body though. Otherwise, I could always just rout it, get a different pick guard and if I went back to the original it wouldn't be the end of the world once you put the pickguard back on. I'm not planning on selling this guitar anyways.

Good Luck on the journey! Sometimes just picking a path and going is the best way to go!

Let us know what you decide to do!

Rezamatix":9zs3jzoq said:
different guitars for different sounds. thats what I do. if its a rad tele. use it for your rad tele. if its a metal machine use it for that. trying to make a guitar be more than it is sometimes makes it worse that it was...

I've got lots of guitars ;)

I really like this tele, just feel it could get as much use as my strat and lp live if it was tweaked a bit. I also just got my 335 back with a bone nut and it's staying in tune so much better and even sounds better with the new nut I think. Do I need to mess with this tele? Certainly not. But I might :LOL: :LOL:

Most of my guitars end up under the soldering iron at some point, which is why I rarely buy expensive guitars. I buy servicable ones then make them what I want them to be!

Go for it man, its a reissue and i think you should make it the way you like it, i have a feeling you will be happier with it.

It's your guitar - do whatever makes it work for you, man!

Steve

Back