Bogner 4x12: Take out V30's put in Alnico Creams?

McLeanAB

Hey all!

Got this LOVELY beast of a 4x12 in a trade and it's SO good...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...100-watt-4x12-inch-straight-extension-cabinet

My Mesa Mark V:25 sounds absolutely stellar on cleans, crunch, and high gain. The cab has Greenbacks and V30's in the traditional x-pattern.

So, I don't care for V30's on their own, but the cab sounds amazing as is, so I might just leave well enough alone.

However, I do have two Celestion Alnico Creams in other amps (that I adore), but wondering if I yank out the V30's and chuck the Alnico Creams in there if that would sound even better?

Anyone mixed Greenbacks and Alnico Creams before? What was your experience?

Just spitballin' ideas... again, might just leave it as is...

Attachments

• Boogie Bog.jpeg
    Boogie Bog.jpeg
    372.5 KB · Views: 39
I mix an Alnico Cream with Scumback M75 (so a greenback essentially) in a 212 and really like it. The thump of the Alnico really comes through while the Greenback is mostly just there for coloring the mids/highs

If the cab sounds amazing as is, don't bother changing it out.
Where's the fun in that? ;)

Besides, after going through a lot of speaker combos, I came to the conclusion that the GB/V30 mix in a 4x12 did something weird to the mid frequencies, like cancelled something out, made it sound hollow in a way. Which is weird because I've enjoyed that combo in more than one 2x12.
I think all V30s, and/or all GBs sounds much better. I'm curious to see how the Alnico Cream mixes with each speaker, and OP is primed to figure that out.

If the cab sounds amazing as is, don't bother changing it out.
I agree with this. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. At least for me, I wouldn't want all my cabs to have the same speakers, so I would celebrate that this one is a great cab with V30s and use the other cabs if I want the creamback tone.

Great suggestions, all! Thank you!

I have a cheap Ibanez Toneblaster cab that I also grabbed with Power Jam speakers. I expected it to sound brittle and harsh, but it's actually quite clear and open. Very neutral sounding, but nowhere near as rich and detailed as the Bogner. Maybe I'll just pull all of those speakers out and chuck the Alnico Creams in there and leave two holes... :)

I might experiment, but given how much effort it takes, we'll see... :)

My Friedman 4x12 had the V30's below likely copying the Bog cabs. Facing away it was okay but standing in front or on a high stage with someone trying to film it was painful,...but I don't need of convince you of that :ROFLMAO: I opted for all greenbacks and love it to not go down the speaker purchasing rabithole, but let us know how it runs out and sound clips are great!! :m17:

I would put in a couple greenbacks. Killer mix. Those alnico creams have a distinct sound. Look at rezas YouTube and watch his demos of amps with alnico creams. The amps start sounding like the alnico creams rather than the amp. You could also grab some 80s g12-65s and mix those with the v30s.

I am lazy and you already admitted the cab is killer sounding so I would find a warm engine room to smoke rope in and not worry about messing with the cab. Maybe blow a couple of the speakaz first with some intense guitar work, then change them because you have to.

Where's the fun in that? ;)

Besides, after going through a lot of speaker combos, I came to the conclusion that the GB/V30 mix in a 4x12 did something weird to the mid frequencies, like cancelled something out, made it sound hollow in a way. Which is weird because I've enjoyed that combo in more than one 2x12.
I think all V30s, and/or all GBs sounds much better. I'm curious to see how the Alnico Cream mixes with each speaker, and OP is primed to figure that out.

Funny you mention the 212 version of that combo of speakers. I liked that one as well.

I will get an amp soon that comes with Creambacks, so will see, but that speaker for my taste came off to bland and smooth in the clips I’ve heard. I guess it depends what you’re looking for in your sound. For non-vintage celestions I like the 20w Greenbacks, Gold’s, Redbacks and V30’s can be decent too with the right amps

I love V30's, they always cut in a mix. Studio or live, they cut through every time...
But 2 Greenies and 2 V30's is even better, I'd get another 412 and load it with cream backs, and leave that one alone..
You can't have too many 412's. :D

I had a Marshall AHW 4x12 with G12H 55 Hz 30w GBs and cooked it by running a 100w Marshall through it at full tilt for a lot of hours. It sounded glorious until they blew. 120w is not enough cab for a 100w head that usually puts out far more than that.

I had a Marshall AHW 4x12 with G12H 55 Hz 30w GBs and cooked it by running a 100w Marshall through it at full tilt for a lot of hours. It sounded glorious until they blew. 120w is not enough cab for a 100w head that usually puts out far more than that.
How is the Scumback H55 compared to the G12h30 55?

Can't remember which Scumbacks I have in my Mojotone 4x12 now, but pretty sure they're 75w each and sound fantastic.

I will get an amp soon that comes with Creambacks, so will see, but that speaker for my taste came off to bland and smooth in the clips I’ve heard. I guess it depends what you’re looking for in your sound. For non-vintage celestions I like the 20w Greenbacks, Gold’s, Redbacks and V30’s can be decent too with the right amps
I bought a pair of the Alnico creams and yeah I found them to be bland, kinda boring sounding to be honest. I would take a good pair of V30s over them In a heartbeat.

Back