Bogner Fish Owners...what preamp are you using?

bikerdude2

I have a reissue preamp on the way, and am researching poweramps. I'm inclined to go with the Mesa Jerry Cantrell runs his thru, as his live tone is nirvana, but I've also read the VHT sounds killer. Thoughts? Oh yeah, I'm poor now, so cost is a factor :cry:

i saw a black vht 2150 for sale on one of the forums. i think huge racks. that is the best power amp in my opinion for the fish.

I own a first run 1991 Fish and since day one through an ENGL 2x60 with 6L6.
Sometimes now a T-Rex Dr swamp in front I have for 2 month now

I remember some one saying Jerry also runs a Ampeg SVT2pro bass power amp in his backline along with the Fish and Mesa. I recall seeing a pic of it as well somewhere.

Can anyone correct my misinformation? :LOL: :LOL:

Lets see, I started w/ a boogie 295,then 2 90,then vht 2-502,then 2-902, and finally now Im running my fish thru a vht 2150 and classic...and it feels like Im playing an amp head...no "sterile rack feel" at all....your last sentence" of a budget" may put a damper on the best( which is probably the 2150)...at leats try to get into the 2-90-2....

My friend just got rid of the 2:90 he was using with his reissue Fish...said it was too loose and flab sounding..I told him that my reissue was so tight and fluid with the VHT 2150...sucks that I really need to sell it...make a decision man...lol

Make me an offer I can't refuse :LOL: :LOL:
leatherneck":81pdubuh said:
My friend just got rid of the 2:90 he was using with his reissue Fish...said it was too loose and flab sounding..I told him that my reissue was so tight and fluid with the VHT 2150...sucks that I really need to sell it...make a decision man...lol

The best I can do is 1100 shipped and paypaled depending where you're at.

By the way, I don't condone FAILTONE..so, look for a 2:90 if you're really after that....lol

I've never used a cleaner, tighter sounding power amp.

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

I'm sure it's fair. Given the economy, I'm shooting for a great deal ;)
Tone Merchant":pyn0ea24 said:
the 2150, is by far the best power amp to run with the fish. $1100.00 is a fair price imo

leatherneck":1l3ei89c said:
The best I can do is 1100 shipped and paypaled depending where you're at.

By the way, I don't condone FAILTONE..so, look for a 2:90 if you're really after that....lol

Jerry Cantrell used the 2:90...hardly failure.

I can verify tonight once I open her up but I believe that mine falls within that date range you listed.

I had the 2:90 as well years back and I really would not go that route again imo. It was not as tight and warm. And my friend that just sold his 290 stated that he could tell that the channels did not have the same sound at the same levels. He thought maybe that the tubes in the channel closest to the fan were colder. The 2150 has the fan in the middle so no worries there.

Twas me who sold the 2:90 for my Fish. It sounded good but it did add mud to it. I would strongly suggest that if you are only using one channel of the power amp, to use channel B with the power tubes farthest away from the fan as they run hotter and seem to sound more fluid like. The other side just sounds kinda iffy to me. They were all brand new power tubes as well so I know it wasnt that. You can tell right off the bat if you feel the power tubes, which channel is gonna have the hotter tubes. Bad design by Mesa if you ask me with the fan on the side.

Thanks for the tip. I think it'll be the right power amp for me. After seeing Cantrell twice live with his Fish/Mesa rig, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a happy guy!

Back